• twitter image
  • facebook image
  • youtube image
  • linkedin image
Language: CMS Made Simple Czech CMS Made Simple France CMS Made Simple Spain CMS Made Simple Hungary CMS Made Simple Russia CMS Made Simple Netherlands

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do your host(s) support PHP 5.3
Poll ended at Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:09 pm
Yes, all of my hosts do... 49%  49%  [ 49 ]
A majority of my hosts do, or will be soon 21%  21%  [ 21 ]
A few of my hosts do, but I don't know when the others change. 20%  20%  [ 20 ]
No, None of my hosts support PHP 5.3 11%  11%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 101
 Post subject: Poll: PHP 5.3 Support
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:09 pm 
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

As you all know, a couple of years ago, when CMSMS 1.7 was released we made the big dive into PHP 5.x. This caused some people grief as they were forced to do without the latest and greatest version of CMSMS. We only fixed important security releases in the 1.6 series, and recently we even stopped that.

However, now even PHP 5.2 is at its end of life, and PHP 5.4 is in beta. There are important, and useful features of PHP 5.3 that we cannot use due to our current support for the older version of PHP. Some of these features include: anonymous functions, namespaces, and phar files. It is no coincidence that CMSMS 1.10 was released today, and we are already starting to plan the CMSMS 1.11 release.

Note: There is no rule that says that addon modules and plugins cannot require PHP 5.3. We just ensure that the CMSMS core will run under PHP 5.2.4 (minimum).

So, in order to help us make a decision, We've created a poll, which will run for at least 30 days. We would like to know an approximate percentage of hosts that support PHP 5.3. We will consider this statistic in our decision making process for new features of CMSMS, though it doesn't necessarily mean we will be bound by the results of this poll.

So please, vote... but only once and let us know if your host(s) support version PHP 5.3

Thanks for your time and consideration

If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Share On:
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Poll: PHP 5.3 Support
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:14 pm 
Forum Members
Forum Members

All my hosts support 5.3 or provide switch from 5.2 to 5.3

I think the need to step forward :D

Share On:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:38 am 

I think 5.3 support is the next logical step. My host is ready for sure.

Share On:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My development and production servers are ready for php 5.3. Uptodate linux distros have 5.3.8 available as package.

By looking at shared hosting packages I see some accounts have php versions as old as 5.2.8, but the majority do have 5.3+

I vote for CMSMS php 5.3+ support only.

Share On:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've recently moved a production website. The host it came from was running PHP 5.2.8 or so. The new host is running PHP5.3.4, but I did not take this into account before moving. It was just a pleasant surprise.

Another two hosts I'm using for personal websites are also still using PHP5.2.x. I haven't heard any plans about upgrading, but I haven't been looking for that either.

These are all Dutch shared-hosting companies I'm talking about.

Share On:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My Hosting is at all-inkl.com where i can switch between php4, php5.2 or php5.3 so i am ready.
I think we should look forward and drop support for dead software.

Twitter
=============================================
Support CMSMS

Share On:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:51 pm 
Support Guru
Support Guru

All my hosts offer a switch to php 5.3 too.
Despite that, I would rather turn the question the other way arround. I would migrate to another host if the latest version of my favourite cms is not supported 8)

Share On:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:55 am 
Forum Members
Forum Members

I think you have to go with the new PHP versions, but I think there must be a tool for developers and end-users with the compatibility of modules.

I think the biggest problem will be the modules. I know, that isn't a thing CMSMS can do something about, but I'm sure there will be a problem.

When I look to my sites, all of them are using modules. When a module will not be supported by 5.3, i have to stuck at 1.9.3 (because some modules doesn't support 1.10) or 1.10. All my sites (30+) are on the same host. When one of the used modules does not support 5.3 I do have a problem while migration to 5.3.

Maybee offtopic, but what do you think about a solution where everybody can see/find the compatibility of the modules? Not only the CMSMS version they support, also the PHP version.

Share On:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Maybee offtopic, but what do you think about a solution where everybody can see/find the compatibility of the modules? Not only the CMSMS version they support, also the PHP version.

Anyone can add Information to WIKI, so if you are willing to share your experience with others, then you are more then welcome to login to WIKI with your Forum credentials and start with list you just suggested.
If you do start a list like than create a Forum Topic and promote the Article so other can see it and update.

I don't think that DEV Team can spend even more time and effort just to go through the modules and check their compatibility which are thirdparty anyway, so Community contributions are always welcome as it is your experience that you share with others.

Twitter
Support CMSMS

Share On:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 pm 
Forum Members
Forum Members

uniqu3 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think that DEV Team can spend even more time and effort just to go through the modules and check their compatibility which are thirdparty anyway, so Community contributions are always welcome as it is your experience that you share with others.

Yes you're right, it doesn't mean that the DEV team is responsible to check the compatibility of modules. This is the responsibility of the module developer. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough about that.

When we start a new list then we split up information about modules. Everyone has to look at multiple places and have to update multiple places, you can wait for the moment one of the extra places is bleeding death. When people don't read the announcement on the forum (people who download core, add some modules and that's it) don't know anything about compatibility. You can't blame them? I think it's better to have this kind of information by the modules in the forge.

ps; Just my 2 cents, I'm just brainstorming :)

Share On:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

True, unfortunately we and Community memebers do not have any option to add this kind of information to Forge and Modules that is why i suggested WIKI and Forum where last one is being read (in worst case when someone bumps in a problem :) ) and if Module developers add that information it is still information that is only added to actively developed modules or if Developer has thought about adding that kind of Information.

I am aware of the problem about "hidden information" but at this moment this is only option we have and having some information is still better then having none.

Twitter
Support CMSMS

Share On:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I only have php 5.3x on my host. :)

Share On:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 am 
Forum Members
Forum Members

My webhost have PHP 5.3.6

Share On:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Unfortunately for me, 1&1 does not support 5.3x - I'm current on 5.2x and they have experimental support for 6x (5.4.0beta1) - but not for 5.3x. So if CMSMS does drop support for anything older that 5.3x, I am screwed.

:(

Share On:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 am 
Forum Members
Forum Members

5.2.7 is what my servers provide.

Share On:
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next