Security | Recovering from an exploit

A place to discuss the testing process in beta cycles or against SVN for the CMS Made Simple CORE package.
devilsF00d

Security | Recovering from an exploit

Post by devilsF00d »

For anyone who has been exploited here is something you can do to check for a common shell script if you continue to have issues after the exploit has been fixed:

I recently had some issues with my server being compromised due to previous CMS exploits... The problem didn't stop even after fixing the exploit due to a shell script.  I found that script today and a find recipe that will search for it:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=575793

find /var/www/  -name "*".php  -type f -print0  | xargs -0 grep r57 | uniq -c  | sort -u  | cut -d":" -f1  | awk '{print "rm -rf " $2}' | uniq

find /var/www/  -name "*".txt  -type f -print0  | xargs -0 grep r57 | uniq -c  | sort -u  | cut -d":" -f1  | awk '{print "rm -rf " $2}' | uniq

If you're searching for a c99shell, replace grep r57 with c99shell in codes.
Pierre M.

Re: Security | Recovering from an exploit

Post by Pierre M. »

I disagree. I think searching for foreign hidden scripts and eventually finding them all is not as efficient as destroying everything to be sure the land is sane for a new fresh install from a sane official package (as it was when the hosting provider delivered the hosting space). Erase-destroy catches all intruding technologies (present, past and future) and is an error-proof procedure.

Pierre M.

Return to “[locked] Quality Assurance”