Image Manager - Resize and Thumb generator problems?

A place to discuss the testing process in beta cycles or against SVN for the CMS Made Simple CORE package.
lucid
Forum Members
Forum Members

Image Manager - Resize and Thumb generator problems?

Post by lucid »

I uploaded an image that is: 1987x1331 but there seems to be a couple of problems:

1. the thumbnail is not generated
2. The re-sizing in the "edit" console doesn't work

It is a bug or my server config that is causing the problem?

CMSMS 1.3
Dr.CSS

Re: Image Manager - Resize and Thumb generator problems?

Post by Dr.CSS »

iirc Images of that size have always been a problem, won't work, resize before uploading...
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Large images may cause your php server to run out of memory...  check your error logs.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

Surely this is going to be too big for display on a website anyway? Unless you are just uploading to provide a link to download again, in which case I would try zipping it up first?

I have to say that creating the thumbnails yourself and then uploading by SFTP  is the best idea. With my clients, (at least those on a Mac,) you can make an Automator app to create web sized images and also thumbnails. Best thing is you can create square thumbnails by sizing on the longest dimension, which 98% of the time are fine, with just a few you have to redo manually.
lucid
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by lucid »

calguy1000 wrote: Large images may cause your php server to run out of memory...  check your error logs.
I'll have a look, I think that it may be a server specific problem
lucid
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by lucid »

Russ wrote: Surely this is going to be too big for display on a website anyway? Unless you are just uploading to provide a link to download again, in which case I would try zipping it up first?

I have to say that creating the thumbnails yourself and then uploading by SFTP  is the best idea. With my clients, (at least those on a Mac,) you can make an Automator app to create web sized images and also thumbnails. Best thing is you can create square thumbnails by sizing on the longest dimension, which 98% of the time are fine, with just a few you have to redo manually.
I agree, but some clients don't have much knowledge of image manipulation so it's easier to teach them how to resize and crop a photo in the image manager (after uploading say a photo from a digital camera). I just thought that it might have been a bug in the image manager but I think that it's probably a server config problem.

Question: If you use Automator, how optimized are you images for the web? Isn't the file bigger than Photoshop? It's not really relevant in this case. Was just curios mostly.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

Hi lucid, to be honest, some of my the clients found it more difficult with the ImageManager, with less satisfactory results.  Many people are used to some form of photo manipulation, (maybe it is just the people I work with). I find 'drop' folders, using something like Automator on the Mac, makes it very easy for the client. They just drag and drop their images onto the folder and they are converted. Then, they just need to upload them into a web folder via sftp.

Now before people start saying why should the client have to have sftp, my view is this, to run a web site you need to know something about it. Either that, or I offer a full support contract where I do everything. Clients still need to have backup etc (O.K I do automate this), but there is usually something they have to do. A little training can go a long, long way...

The images can be a little bigger for thumbnails than I would like (10-12k), but in this age of broadband and 3g it doesn't seem to matter that the big images are 100k or so as they don't load until clicked. Also you could process the thumbnails again to make them smaller, but quality counts as much as size these days ;-)

Russ
faglork

Post by faglork »

Hi!
lucid wrote: I agree, but some clients don't have much knowledge of image manipulation so it's easier to teach them how to resize and crop a photo in the image manager (after uploading say a photo from a digital camera). I just thought that it might have been a bug in the image manager but I think that it's probably a server config problem.
Sort of. Remember, JPG is a COMPRESSED format. A typical 2MB file easily uncompresses to a whopping 20 Mb when loaded into memory, depending on compression ratio. This will exceed most server's memory limits.

Increasing memory won't really help - once the customers get used to load large files, they won't stop at 2mb ... in addition, you get timeout problems during upload.  Especially
lucid wrote: after uploading say a photo from a digital camera
since modern cameras start at 6megapixel ... there you go.

Educate them. IMO there's no way 'round.

Cheers,
Alex

Return to “[locked] Quality Assurance”