Suggested FAQ: image thumbnail creation

Submit and proof-read articles for the documentation here. Anyone is welcome to contribute!
dtgriscom
Forum Members
Forum Members

Suggested FAQ: image thumbnail creation

Post by dtgriscom »

I'd like to suggest a FAQ (and confirm that I have the correct answer):

Q: If I upload image files to the uploads/images directory using a third-party tool, how do I generate thumbnails for the images?

A: If you view a directory using the Image Manager, it will automatically create thumbnails for all new image files in the directory. Note, however, that the Image Manager caches lists of files, so you may need to log out and log back in before the Image Manager notices the new files.

(Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dan)
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Suggested FAQ: image thumbnail creation

Post by Wishbone »

I think the best way to do this is use SuperSizer or Gallery.. In fact, I don't even tell my clients to use the File Manager or Image Manager any more to upload images.. I have them upload to Gallery, and use a simple UDT to place a resized image on a page with the proper styles.
dtgriscom
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dtgriscom »

I don't think I was clear. The thumbnails I'm concerned about are those used by the Image Manager (and possibly elsewhere in the CMSMS admin interface). I was using the Image Manager, and decided to copy a bunch of files into the uploads/images directory via the command line. The Image Manager then steadfastly refused to see the files. However, when I logged out and back in again, and then opened the Image Manager on the directory, the Image Manager then automatically generated its thumbnails.

This wasn't documented anywhere, although it was alluded to in a few places. I think it should be documented.
Jos
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by Jos »

dtgriscom wrote:Note, however, that the Image Manager caches lists of files, so you may need to log out and log back in before the Image Manager notices the new files.
This is a CMSms 1.9.3 issue only
dtgriscom
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dtgriscom »

So, this is a 1.9.3 bug that will be fixed in the next release? If so, good to know.

Return to “Suggestions, Modifications & Corrections”