How to provide translated / multi-language content?

Have a translation or something? It goes here. This can mean modules, documentation, or CMSMS itself!
tmichael

How to provide translated / multi-language content?

Post by tmichael »

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter.  Someone has asked me to create a version of the site in an alternate language (s).  Is there a mechanism for doing that other than re-writting every page in spanish, french, etc.?

Mike
jelle

Re: How to provide translated / multi-language content?

Post by jelle »

No, not yet. besides you'd always need a human translator, machine translation usually does not help. The problem with such an approach would be that the translated version lags behind the original one, so you need some kind of workflow to keep things somewhat in sync. That makes cms less simple, but it is on the roadmap for version 1.0 I believe.

The best solution for now would be to make two language trees and have the menu start at level 2. then you develop the different languages side by side, but without any help to keep the two in sync.
newclear

Post by newclear »

I think about the same cmsms function this days and really want to help develop this part

It is possible to define one tree structure for all languages. Like is now. Right.
So the next part is to create languages in the admin and add the content following the tree structure. Then on the front site get $lang variable which will be the user-choosed language like EN and just display the relevant html.

I dont know exactly how the developers of CMSMS want to create this important module.

Maybe...
1.create table cms_languages, add languages there and add a column in cms_content table called language_id. The default tree structure should be saved in other table.

2.create a function to check where the user came from and return $lang (COOKIE SESSION HTTP_ACCEPT_LANG IP-TO-COUNTRY).

3.change the queries to check the language_id and then assign the content for this lang in the template. The admin part can be done too. I think is not so hard to develop how to choose which language content you edit.

4.store language templates like menu grafics and others in folder called EN, DE .. the dir can be auto created when language is added.

The $lang var should be used to direct which content to be the displayed on smarty. $lang var is also the language_id in database and directory name in templates.

The last part I think is to make using the right character-encoding. It looks harder for me because now i see that table cms_content should contain all the languages's texts with different encodings so thats not possible in one table.

How you think about all this mehanism?
Is it enough to complete the needs for cmsms?
newclear

Post by newclear »

It looks to be the solution about the multi language but i cant understand is it hardcored on cmsms?
Lets see. I'm waiting for the file.

I think that the multi-language support must be a option on cmsms not just hardcoded module.
The cmsms developers should talk about that.

Respect
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

Multilanguage support is on roadmap for version 1.0. If you look in database you will see CMSms is prepared for multilanguage support. Need's "only" many code changes to support this.
newclear

Post by newclear »

Yes I see that CMSms is really simple and made for best performance.

I want to help developing multiple languages support before release of version 1.0
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

newclear wrote: I want to help developing multiple languages support before release of version 1.0
Please ask Katon  - perhaps he would be happy if you could help him.
newclear

Post by newclear »

thanks for the responce.
mox
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mox »

There are some thread hwere is possible have a detailed explanation of like how to implemented 2 language tree?
thanks
mox
jelle wrote: The best solution for now would be to make two language trees and have the menu start at level 2. then you develop the different languages side by side, but without any help to keep the two in sync.
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

Please try the CMSms version from multilang project.
mox
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mox »

I have a production server with 0.12.1 Savusavu installed
Can I try multilang without problem?
And, there are some instruction/tips/trick to following?
ciao
mox
katon

Post by katon »

No, multilang is based on 0.12.  I am planning to port it to 0.12.2 once it's out.
jelle

Post by jelle »

@mox: beta software and production server don't mix.
mox
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mox »

Yes, it is better...
jelle wrote: @mox: beta software and production server don't mix.
and I have thought to resolve the problem as soon as I will have understood like making with the double tree (for the menù)

thanks to all
mox
:)

Return to “Translations”