Wanted: CMSMS Bloggers

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wanted: CMSMS Bloggers

Post by Ted »

Hey all,

While the forums are a great place for finding information, it's hard to really get a feel for the current state of the project.  How are people are using it for their sites, what are some of the best tricks out there, etc?

I'm looking to put together a multi-user blog for CMS Made Simple.  Basically, I want to find a few of our more high-profile forum users and give them permission to post on blog.cmsmadesimple.org.  I too will be posting there occasionally about 2.0 development, and other matters of project direction.  The other devs are obviously welcome as well.

While I'm not looking to replace the forum or anything, it would be nice to get a collection of CMSMS related information that's easy to go through instead of reading every forum post.  Plus, the developers get a soapbox to work from that all users can easily read via RSS.

I'm going to install a basic Wordpress.  Anyone that wants to contribute to making it not look like a stock wordpress install are greatly appreciated.  :)

Thoughts?  Volunteers?  Please only volunteer if you're a "regular" around here and interested in posting more than 2 times and forgetting about it.  I will at least be doing a bit of checking up on anyone who is interested.

Thanks!
Ted
cyberman

Re: Wanted: CMSMS Bloggers

Post by cyberman »

Hi Ted,
Ted wrote: I'm going to install a basic Wordpress.
CMSms can do it too  :). Why do you wanna use Wordpress and not a combo with news/comments?
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

3 main reasons...

1. XMLRPC posting -- I hate using the web based input box when I'm writing a long post.  Especially given the fact that it sometimes takes me an entire day to write one, which sucks when your session times out.

2. I wanted user avatars and I know that it's pretty easy to just install a plugin and have it work in Wordpress.  If I had to write something, it won't get done...  I'm just too busy.

3. I just didn't feel like messing with it at the moment.  It was install and go.  With the fact that one of the other big things on my TODO list is updating the main site to 1.0.x, I didn't want to have to deal with upgrading all the modules and stuff to go along with it.  Again, just too busy...

Maybe when we have a real blog package, I'd consider it.  But it's just too split up and messy for me to get involved with at this point.

Ted
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

Thx.
3dcandy

Post by 3dcandy »

Not a high profile user really, but willing to offer my services...

;)
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

An example of the kind of stuff I'll be posting...

http://blog.cmsmadesimple.org/2007/01/1 ... rm-anyway/

Yes, this needs a theme and some layout love.  I'm just messing around with it at the moment.
Signex

Post by Signex »

If you`re interested I`m willing to take a shot for a cmsms custom theme/layout design.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

I've invited both signex and 3dcandy to take a stab at blog posting.  Anyone else?

Also, I wrote another article yesterday about 2.0 while waiting for software compiles yesterday...  http://blog.cmsmadesimple.org/2007/01/1 ... rocessing/

Ted
3dcandy

Post by 3dcandy »

Thanx Ted, offer accepted and first post is up!
westis

Post by westis »

The blog is now integrated in the same layout as the rest of the site. Also, "News" in the main menu has been replaced with "Blog". The news section on the main page will with time also be replaced with an RSS grab of the latest blog entries.

It'll be interesting to see how the blog develops! :)

/Daniel
chead
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by chead »

Ted,

Great idea! I've not been an active forum poster, but I'd be willing to put together some articles. What's been posted so far is really good.

I agree that a better channel is needed to highlight tips and tricks. As a user, right now there are too many different places to find information. I'd like to see one major repository for tutorials and tips/tricks, with a standardized hierarchy or categories (by module or function). I'd like to be able to find all the relevant information and tips for a given module or feature in one place. A good master knowledge base would really help people get more out of CMS Made Simple.
  • There are some really great information in the wiki, though it can be hard to find. For example, there are two different (though essentially similar) pages for templates and stylesheets. Some great tags and tips are hidden away in the FAQ area. As a user, it's easy to miss good information. As a wiki contributor, it's hard to know where to add new items, so either I don't contribute, or I add to the problem by posting my information wherever I think makes sense at the time or wherever the last person added something.
  • The Themes site has a few good tutorials that I hadn't seen; here again, there are two essentially similar areas -- a Tutorials section and a Tips and Articles section.
  • There are some great tips and enhancements in the forum, but they're usually tied to a specific problem or question, and it's easy to miss a good tip in a response because of the title of the thread. Sometimes a great thread topic ends with "nevermind, I fixed it" from the original poster instead of "and here's how I did it." Lastly, if today I'm not using the Calendar module (for example) and next month decide to add it, finding tips on how to get the most out of the module isn't easy.
In short, I think the blog will be a great way to call attention to tips and tricks, especially if it's linked to a broader goal of capturing and sharing practical information. Articles could be cross-posted to/from the blog, or the blog could be a brief summary with a link to the full article. If more categories are added to the blog, it might be fine as the repository.

For everyone here, for myself and any other potential contributors, can we build a list of the top article/tips to be written up? Users, please chime in here with article topics you'd want to see. Long-time gurus, list the topics that keep coming up and you've answered time and time again and wish were covered somewhere. I'd love to see some "how-to" articles written by/with module developers to show off what their modules can do.

Here's a few I'd like to see:
  • An Insider's Guide to the Menu Manager
    Tutorials on implementing template tweaks and CSS styling for popular menu styles. Since this is such a core module, a whole series could be developed. Horizontal menus, vertical menus, CSS-only, Javascript pop-ups, etc.
  • Page-Specific Images
    How to display a specific image based on the current page, whether based on page alias, parent menu level, date, random or other common variable to enable different page headers, sidebar images and similar effects based on the current page.
  • Multi-Language Support
    Techniques to implement support for multiple-language websites. Options can include use of Katon's CMS Made Simple variant, separate page hierarchies for each language, back-end/admin language options, etc. Techniques to track/implement language-switching though variables, cookies, etc.
Last edited by chead on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vin

Post by Vin »

westis wrote: Also, "News" in the main menu has been replaced with "Blog".
When viewing the documentation section, you can still see the Blog as News section. Just you to know.
heatherfeuer

Post by heatherfeuer »

I agree with chead about the need for some really good documentation.  I also think that the wiki needs to be written by users with a solid knowledge of the inner workings of CMSMS but not necessarily the dev team -- who should be able to devote their time to making CMSMS even better without getting bogged down in 'splainin' it!  (Not that they couldn't, just they don't have time or have better uses for their time.

I have only scratched the surface of what CMSMS can do and in the process greatly increased my knowledge and understanding of CSS and accessibility.  I'm not sure that I have sufficient knowledge to explain clearly the "how tos" and other instructions that are needed.  However, I can help with editing and proofing as I find the time.

I'd offer to blog but I have enough trouble trying to remember to post on my own blog -- and that's because I'm spending most of my time with CMSMS!  :D
Maarten
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Maarten »

heatherfeuer wrote: I agree with chead about the need for some really good documentation.  I also think that the wiki needs to be written by users with a solid knowledge of the inner workings of CMSMS but not necessarily the dev team -- who should be able to devote their time to making CMSMS even better without getting bogged down in 'splainin' it!  (Not that they couldn't, just they don't have time or have better uses for their time.

Indeed good documentation is needed and I would like to contribute. But I think we should better wait for version 2.0, because of all the changes made in that version.
heatherfeuer

Post by heatherfeuer »

Maarten,
I think we should better wait for version 2.0, because of all the changes made in that version.
I'm not so sure about that.  There will be many who will continue to use earlier versions either because they don't have PHP5 available or would rather not "fix" something that "ain't broke."  They will need good documentation as well, especially if they do what I would envision; that is, using the documentation on the wiki to provide help files for their clients.

Return to “Announcements”