CMSMS 2.0 (say what now?!)

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
CWebguy
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: CMSMS 2.0 (say what now?!)

Post by CWebguy »

2.0, things are really stepping up now :)
CMSMS Made
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

cyberman wrote: There's currently no roadmap for V2.
Is that because there is no active development on 2.*, or because the original 2.* roadmap is no longer an accurate document, and the dev team has been so busy on 2.* that they haven't had time to put together a new roadmap? :)
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cb2004 »

They are waiting for the framework to be complete before any work can start on 2.0. And I dont know the current status with that.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

The framework and 2.0 will most likely be developed in conjunction.  Silk Framework is working, though there are some key features still missing for mass consumption -- including documentation.  At this point, I figure that adding things to Silk as I need them will allow me to be the most productive.

It's just slow going -- life is just crazy now.
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

Thanks for the update, Ted!

I've checked out your Silk framework website.  As a only-slightly-more-than-completely-clueless programmer, I have to confess that much of what I saw didn't make sense to me, but it does look exciting!  Very much looking forward to the next generation of CMSMS!
Tigran
Forum Members
Forum Members

next version

Post by Tigran »

Will be a version 1.7? And will the support for PHP 5.3 in it ?
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/development/roadmap/

Version 1.7 with some backported things from "old" 2.0 will be the new 2.0 (but no php 5.3 till 2.2)
Veliremus

Post by Veliremus »

I've been skimming this topic, and it seems that CMS 2.0 has been in development for years now... Recently my provider has upgraded to 5.3 and I can't roll that back. My question is this: How realistic is it that 5.3 support will arrive within, say, two months?

I really need to be able to edit my site, but I don't want to switch to some other CMS, 'cause I love CMS Made Simple  :(.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

We can't make any promises. When 2.0 is released it will support 5.3 but we don't have a definitive release time. Instead of switching CMS's wouldn't it be easier to switch hosts to one that supports multiple versions of PHP?
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
Veliremus

Post by Veliremus »

Well, I really like my host as well (plus I just renewed), so that's not really an option unless the situation is really dire. I realize this is a big thing to ask, but is there some way to restore at least partial control to my editing pages? I wonder, as I can create new pages just fine.

EDIT: It would seem turning off PHP error messages gives you back some control of the pages. Things like the WYSIWYG editor don't work, though.
Last edited by Veliremus on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

It would require hacking the core files based off of the current SVN version. As we have said on numerous posts in the past, we do not recommend or support hacked installs. Plus you would have to find the relevant changes because there is much more to 2.x than just 5.3 support.

If you don't mind the extra work you can install CMSMS locally with PHP 5.2 and then export the database once you have made the changes and import it at your host. It is extra work, but I think it is far less work than porting your whole site over to a different CMS.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
Veliremus

Post by Veliremus »

It would seem turning off PHP error messages gives you back some control of the pages. Things like the WYSIWYG editor don't work, though.

I hope I can hold out with this minimal control until 5.3 is supported.
aliceraunsbaek
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by aliceraunsbaek »

When is 2.0 scheduled for? (and does it include a more automated way of updating? - like clicking a button in the admin-section?)
dhtml12345

Post by dhtml12345 »

Look at when this CMSMS 2.0 topic was started: January, 2007 -- just over three years ago.

@aliceraunsbaek: I don't think it is ever going to be released. 
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

dhtml12345 wrote: Look at when this CMSMS 2.0 topic was started: January, 2007 -- just over three years ago.

@aliceraunsbaek: I don't think it is ever going to be released. 
Have you tried to help?

On the forums?

Have you donated?

Have you said "thank you" to developers?

You are using free software. You did not pay from it. Yet you want to make money from your websites.

Return to “Announcements”