CMSMS 2.0 (say what now?!)

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
dhtml12345

Re: CMSMS 2.0 (say what now?!)

Post by dhtml12345 »

replytomk3,

I was only responding to aliceraunsbaek's question about when 2.0 will be released.  I didn't mean to sound negative as, frankly, I'm satisfied to continue using 1.7 until I finish developing my own CMS system.  But I didn't want somebody to get their hopes up about such an old idea.
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

dhtml12345 wrote: But I didn't want somebody to get their hopes up about such an old idea.
You are wrong again. If you followed the forum longer, you would know that 1.7 was not planned before, but has been released due to a number of changes, PHP version being one of them.
dhtml12345

Post by dhtml12345 »

I don't think that makes me wrong.  Let's just agree to disagree.

Cheers.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

I know it's taken forever, but that's the nature of open source.  It takes a long time to reorganize, refit and redo a lot of code -- and I'm still doing the majority of 2.0 by myself.  At this point, I'm limited to worked on 2.0 on the weekends because life is crazy otherwise, so progress is slow, but it's going.  If there's ever any doubt, look at the commit log: http://viewsvn.cmsmadesimple.org/log.ph ... k/&isdir=1&

Keep in mind, 2.0 was ambitious for 2007/2008.  PHP 5.2 wasn't the mainstream.  I knew it was going to take time before we could release this.  Not 2010, mind you, but still.

Completion is on the horizon.  Except for one or two things, all the architecture decisions are made.  I have a UI guy that's (hopefully) going to help me streamline the user interface a bit, and then it's just details, filling in the holes, alpha and beta.

I'm feeling more confident than ever that it's going to happen.
aliceraunsbaek
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by aliceraunsbaek »

dhtml12345 wrote: Look at when this CMSMS 2.0 topic was started: January, 2007 -- just over three years ago.

@aliceraunsbaek: I don't think it is ever going to be released. 
My reason for writing was the mention of 2.0 in a news item (something about 1.7 comming soon to fix PHP 5.3 things and 2.0 would be along later)

@Ted - I'm perhaps not the best PHP programmer ever, but if you feel that there is something you need/want help for, I'll be more than glad to help - I think it's a great CMS and if I can do something to help I'd like to =0)

~Alice
nextgen
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by nextgen »

Guys what address can i use in tortoise to grab the 2.0 files to catch a glimpse. I know it cannot be used live. Am just so very curious. I just started using CMSMS 2 days ago and guess i have the bug fo rit huh. Great work so far and where can i send a donation to ?
daz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by daz »

For donations, look toward the top right corner of the forums for the paypal button. For anonymous svn access this is the url: http://svn.cmsmadesimple.org/svn/cmsmadesimple

From the downloads page, more specific SVN you are looking for::
"If you want to be really brave, feel free to check out the upcoming 2.0 version of CMS Made Simple from the Subversion repository. You can do this from a shell with the following command:
svn co http://svn.cmsmadesimple.org/svn/cmsmadesimple/trunk/"
Last edited by daz on Sun May 09, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpatti
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by jpatti »

Ted wrote:Any suggestions on how you guys think permissions should work would be most helpful.
Something I've found important with my clients is... often they want say the Volunteer Coordinator to be able to add and edit all the volunteer pages, the Donor Coordinator to add and edit all the donor pages, etc.  But... all additions and edits need to be approved by someone in Marketing who knows the "rules" for the whole company, how they format phone numbers, what images they're allwoed to use in what contexts, and who will do a decent human grammar and spellcheck. 

All those people might have nothing to do with whom will "admin" the site once it's developed, that might be someone in IT who I've written a little manual for to do some common tasks.

I'd like to limit them also... maybe I do want them to change templates as I've made several for them, but maybe I just want them to WYSIWYG and nothing else. Basically, I like to turn off everything they won't need for the specific site I built them cause it just confuses them.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

As far as permissions setup for copy editors to approve...

Set up a section header "not shown in the menu" and give it to your 'volunteer' let them make children under it only, they create the page, boss man looks at it and changes it or not, then approves it by moving it to the 'live' menu section where it goes...

Problem solved, and no extra staging server needed...
gour

Post by gour »

Hi Ted!
Ted wrote: I'm feeling more confident than ever that it's going to happen.
I've decided to stay/start with CMS instead of going to MODx.  :)

Bought 1.6 & duketown's 1.8 books and even installed 2.0 by pulling from github's repo yesterday.  ;)

Considering that 2.0 is 'rewrite', I'm curious how much it will differ from 1.x series if one wants to master it more thoroughly? Iow, does the way how CMS works (e.g. on the level of Smarty) is pretty significant, or 1.x knowledge will mostly still apply?  ???

Return to “Announcements”