1.0 Beta6 Released!

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Piratos

Re: 1.0 Beta5 Released!

Post by Piratos »

8mb
I have the information of one of the biggest german providers with nearly 10 Mio. Domains, that 8 mb is relevant for the most Webspaces with PHP and mysql.

And so i think cmsms should never use more as 8 mb.

And you must see, that the 1b4 on the adminside can have peaks nearly with 12 MB so that now this version works not proper all the time.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Okay piratos

I agree that it would be nice to have everything fit into 8mb of ram nicely, maybe you're seeing something we're not. 

could you please grab an svn version of CMS made simple core, and submit some svn patches with changes that would be required to seriously reduce the memory requirements, without significantly reducing the current functionality.

Maybe we've missed some big things, we're eager to see what you come up with.

I know for one, I am no SQL god, and my stuff probably consumes alot more memory caching things that it could get directly from SQL in far less queries, but most of my modules are not in the core.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

Actually after installing  AjaxMadeSimple 0.1.2 with the Modulemanager  i break the 8 mb Limit with the 1b5:

Using 10 SQL queries and 8044040 bytes of memory

After installing bookmark with modulmanager

Using 10 SQL queries and 8450688 bytes of memory 

There is a generell problem with the cmsms, probably to big classes there are used with every little thing.

See the results of other opensource titles on the visitor side:

osCommerce 2.2-MS2.  1152816 bytes of memory 

joomla latest version  3922808 bytes of memory

And this are titles with a very complex structure and many features.

So tell me why these titles can do this and cmsms not.
Last edited by Piratos on Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

patches
One thing to this  -. i have never seen that someone make a close to a adodb resultset after use.

A big resultset can use big memory.

Example:

$query = "SELECT * FROM ".cms_db_prefix()."content WHERE parent_id = ".$id." ORDER BY hierarchy";
$dbresult =& $db->Execute($query);

if ($dbresult && $dbresult->RecordCount() > 0)
{
    while ($row = $dbresult->FetchRow())
    {
#Make sure the type exists.  If so, instantiate and load
if (in_array($row['type'], array_keys(@ContentManager::ListContentTypes())))
{
    $contentobj = &new $row['type'];
    $contentobj->LoadFromData($row, $loadprops);
    $contentcache =& $tree->content;
    $id = $row['content_id'];
    $contentcache[$id] =& $contentobj;
}
    }
}
  Now the resultset was not used anymore, close it.

$dbresult->Close();
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Just a question, cuz I'm too busy at the moment to look, but doesn't this get closed automatically and the memory get released when the $dbresult goes out of scope?

so we could do:

{
  $query = "SELECT * FROM...";
  $dbresult = $db->Execute( $query );
  while( $row = $dbresult->FetchRow() }
  {
    // a bunch of code
  }
}

// $dbresult is out of scope now so the memory should have been released.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

Oh no see php.net mysql_free_result.

Make a little Test with this script and you see what they mean:

Code: Select all

<?php

require 'config.php';
require 'lib/adodb_lite/adodb.inc.php';
$db = ADONewConnection($config['dbms'], 'pear:date:extend:transaction');

$result = $db->Connect($config['db_hostname'],$config['db_username'],$config['db_password'],$config['db_name']);

$db_prefix =$config['db_prefix'];

echo 'First call of the Test  without using Close<br />';

echo 'Before calling the first Execute ';
echo memory_get_usage().'<br />';

$result =$db->Execute('SELECT * FROM '.$db_prefix.'content_props');

echo 'After calling the first Execute ';

$result2 =$db->Execute('SELECT * FROM '.$db_prefix.'content_props');
echo 'After calling the second Execute ';

echo '------------------------------------------------------ <br />';

echo 'Second call of the Test <br />';

$result =$db->Execute('SELECT * FROM '.$db_prefix.'content_props');

echo 'Before using Close on result ';
$result->Close();
echo 'After using Close on result ';

$result2 =$db->Execute('SELECT * FROM '.$db_prefix.'content_props');
echo 'Before using Close on result2 ';
$result2->Close();
echo 'After using Close on result2 ';

?>
php set the memory free if the script ends but not autmatically if you have several queries in a script within the script.

And mysql set only the memory free if you are using mysql_free_result within the script or if the script end and the connection is broken (not with persitent).
Last edited by Piratos on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 1.0 Beta3 Released!

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

Russ wrote: 2. You have "3M"Checking max upload file size (min 2M) Caution is showing yellow
Yet the PHP.ini has it set to 3M as indicated by the text, which is more than the minimum and so should be green???
I looked into this again and the check used to say: "Checking max upload file size (min 2M)"

So if one had 3M set you would think that it should show green.
But actually it will only show green if you meet or exceed the recommended and yellow otherwise. The recommended setting  was set to be 10M.
So I've changed the check to say: Checking max upload file size (min 2M, recommend 10M)

See: http://viewsvn.cmsmadesimple.org/viewsv ... 2&view=rev

It will only show green if you have 10M or more set in php.ini

Should clear up the confusion.  :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: I don't have time to take on any more projects. I'm quite busy. I may be too busy to reply to emails or messages. Thanks for your understanding. :)
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

Here 2 new information of germans biggest provider:

His max executiontime is 10 seconds !!

NPROC is 24  that means you can start  max. 24 Processes !!
horus
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by horus »

Hi, it's a very minor problem.

modules/Search/lang/ext/it_IT.php laks

$lang['searchsubmit'] = 'Cerca';
on line 2 so search button has english value.

Hope this help.
alby

Post by alby »

horus wrote: modules/Search/lang/ext/it_IT.php laks

$lang['searchsubmit'] = 'Cerca';
on line 2 so search button has english value.
This is a lack of translation. In SVN version find a update version.

Alby
gogou

Post by gogou »

Hello, first of all, I'd like to thanks you for your nice program. I'like using it and I don't want to change :)

This new version contain nice improvement and let us hope for very nice new feature.

I've read the whole thread and I have to agree with piratos and Russ. It is maibe a little early for a 1.0?

To emphasis Russ's post, I'd like to add my list of important feature that I'd like to have dirrectly incorporated in the core cmsms. What is important to me.

- Flawless install (actually you have made lot of effort here, it much better now) But you should create dirreclty directory tree in upload folder. On the web server i use, cmsms can't create any directory. So I have to create them manually every time.

- Search capacity (I was using pisearch wich was really nice, I din't try the new one but it is nice to have a search module included)

- A working editor, I'mean less buggy (I don't use it but lot of people don't know html), FCKEditor is better than nothing. But peoples don't understand it is not word. They constantly tell me that everything is fine with forum post editor and don't understand why making a webpage editor is different. (I have recommended cmsms to many people in fact. When they have a problem with it they come to me. They don't go to the forum lol, it is a majority of newcomer that want a site easy to maintain, and don't want a blog. Their problem are never difficult to solve, but they don't understand limitation, they are a little bit slow)
-> For example, I would suspect that many of CMS users would really like a working editor. Get FCKeditor (or another) to work seamlessly and you will have a lot of happier users! Same would apply to replacing the file manager and image manager with better modules. These are things that people will use everyday! While you are at it, maybe include Album as the default image tool and lose the image manager plugin. This is a good start for the basic CMS. What about a spell checker - seems like a must have to me?
that is what i mean.

- Good performance (just optimisation here, I follow piratos here)

- Private content. Pages that can't be accessed by anybody. like http access, but with login screen and content accessible for group of peoples and not for other.

- An easy/adequate css class architecture

- A multilingual support, I hopped to have it in v1.0 of cmsms (2 languages support should be enought to start)

- Backup module (i have to install one every time i install cmsms) It is really important for me.

- Photo Album (i have to install one every time i install cmsms)

- News module (actual module is good for me)

- Multi-user support?
->You're right, it's not as critical as some things, but surprisingly, alot of peoplle cannot upload a folder via ftp to their installation.  They have all kinds of problems and we're repeatedly helping them in the forum or irc channel with problems like case sensitivity, bad ftp clients, permissions, putting things in the wrong subdirectory, etc, etc. This feature is looked at as core as it (when we get rid of a few problems in it) will make life easier for all the users.  it's pretty crude right now and I expect it to get alot more useful after 1.0 comes out and we can add more features and bells and whistles to it. I agree, I don"t need that, my sites are never updated every hour, and never by more than one personne at time. Or never on the same page. Why would they do that? Even corporate web site don't need to work like that.

- Guestbook (usefull for restaurant and stuff like that)
- Calendar
- And a mailer

Well the last tree are nice feature to have included by default in cmsms but it is not mandatory. I've used those module in cmsms before, but I don't install them everytimes. Maibe a forum, but well I install phpbb when i need it.

That is all :D I like to see all the improvment made during last few month. Now cmsms start to be really usable and powerfull. Nice to use and quite easy to maintain. I think It juste need few improvment before being 1.0 stable release.
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

gogou wrote: I've read the whole thread and I have to agree with piratos and Russ. It is maibe a little early for a 1.0?
The devs have talked about this in the IRC channel and Ted really wants to address each of Russ's suggestions. There will be a beta6 that contains improvements to the memory usage of CMSMS.
For more info see: http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... l#msg34490
Note: I don't have time to take on any more projects. I'm quite busy. I may be too busy to reply to emails or messages. Thanks for your understanding. :)
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 1.0 Beta4 Released!

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

zgrob wrote: After playing around a bit I found a problem with section headers not working properly in menu's. They just appear as black text at the wrong position and it goes completely wrong when you add a child page to the section header.
Should be fixed in the next beta (beta6): http://viewsvn.cmsmadesimple.org/viewsv ... w=rev&nbsp; :)
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

gogou wrote: - Private content. Pages that can't be accessed by anybody. like http access, but with login screen and content accessible for group of peoples and not for other.
I'm pretty sure that this is what FrontentUsers was designed for: http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/frontendusers
Or maybe that was CustomContent:
http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/customcontent

I'm not sure.  ;)
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

You'll need both :)
Follow me on twitter
--------------------

Return to “Announcements”