1.0 Beta6 Released!

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 1.0 Beta5 Released!

Post by Russ »

1. News is showing 'News' with a capital 'N' in url? Surely this should be a lowercase 'news' ? I have to change it every time.

Also how about another module call to specify calling page - that way it can be anywhere in your site hierarchy, rather than just root.
e.g. callingpage="cmsmodules" or e.g. callingpage="cmsmodules/today/"
You could then set it in the code for all elements if callingpage is set.

I've hard coded an example on my test site using 'cmsmodules' (Note the lower case 'news')
http://www.cms.shoesforindustry.net/cmsmodules/news/

And some sample code (for the RSS stuff as an example)
echo $this->CreateLink($id, 'rss', $returnid, "", $params,'',false,false,'',true,'cmsmodules/news/rss');[

Obviously this is hard coded and you would need to check if the parameter was set, but it doesn't need to be changed in many places.

UPDATE:
With Elijah's even funkier url patch for News, perhaps it would be best to lowercase the categories and article name/title? Just an idea.

Russ
Last edited by Russ on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

TinyMCE 2.0.2
Looking pretty cool as the default choice of editor. I've been using FCKeditor and it has it faults, but I thought I'd try the rest... TnyMCE is nice to configure, drop downs work for styles, quick to load, extensible, cool. Even a spell checker that works in Firefox, (using Google,) at least on my Mac and of course iespell for IE. There are, however, a few niggling issues:

1. It probably needs to have all the XHTML stuff set in the module file as default? So that it produces proper XHTML. Just a cut and paste on my local copy.

2. As mentioned on the version forum page:
http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 41.30.html
The links produced by the cool CMSLLink plugin are just the standard ones. Really they should reflect the links set in config.php. If you set cool url's with mod_rewrite it should reflect them. I think this is high priority!

3. The CMS Link popup, shows links which are set not to display in the menu, Strikes me if you don't want a link in the menu, (search results page for example,) then you don't want others to be able to link to it? This perhaps should be fixed and documented.

I can live without '1', I'll do it myself and provide an updated file for others if necessary, but '2' & '3' would make it my editor of choice ;-)

I've had a look at he code, but I'm considerably less of a JavaScript expert than I am at PHP ;-) If somone can point me in the right direction I'm willing to have a go though.

Another suggestion would be another drop down for inserting the tags for modules / tags? Just put in the default options
e.g. {plugin_name option1='a' option2='b'}

Russ
Last edited by Russ on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

calguy1000, thank you for your 'big' reply to my 'big' post. I think it clarifies a lot of things. I hope it didn't spoil your weekend to much? Not my intention I assure you ;-)

Russ
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

If we are talking about memory problems, Smarty can be a bit of a problem? Have we considered what used to be called Smarty Light but is now called Template Light? It is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for Smarty but in half the memory?

I've no idea if it is any good just thought I'd mention it.

http://templatelite.sourceforge.net/

Russ
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Template Lite is oh so interesting.  However, it's missing one very important feature... register_resource().  That's pretty much how the entire rendering system in CMSMS works.  Might we worth porting it if the memory/speed savings are that significant, but it couldn't happen for 1.0.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

No problems Ted, as I said, just thought I'd mention it.
Anything to make CMSMS lighter and more nimble : )

Russ
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

Russ wrote: 2. As mentioned on the version forum page:
http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 41.30.html
The links produced by the cool CMSLLink plugin are just the standard ones. Really they should reflect the links set in config.php. If you set cool url's with mod_rewrite it should reflect them. I think this is high priority!
Here is a quick patch to do that. I think Ted and calguy1000 think there is a better way to do it so I've not commited it:

Code: Select all

Index: tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/cmsmslink/popup.php
===================================================================
--- tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/cmsmslink/popup.php       (revision 36)
+++ tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/cmsmslink/popup.php       (working copy)
 -42,7 +42,7 @@
        if ($one->FriendlyName() == 'Separator') {
                continue;
        }
-       echo "<option value="".$one->Id()."">".$one->Hierarchy()." ".$one->Name()."</option>\n";
+       echo "<option value="".$one->Alias()."">".$one->Hierarchy()." ".$one->Name()."</option>\n";
 }
 echo "</select>";
Note: I don't have time to take on any more projects. I'm quite busy. I may be too busy to reply to emails or messages. Thanks for your understanding. :)
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

1. Thanks Elijah, but this is not quite what I meant, unless of course I've implimented it wrongly.
The original gave me
index.php?page=15

Your fix gives me:
index.php?page=home

I think I was after
/home/
e.g. very clean url's.

In any event the code would have to look at what is set in the config and react accordingly.

2. There is also the fault with the pop-up page list display, displaying every page which is not a seperator. Therefore it shows pages that you've hidden from the menu. My guess would be it should list all non-hidden pages?

3. On anther note completely, I've been playing witth your great url news patch, very nice indeed ;-) It would be great to see this implimented in News and Album.

Best regards,

Russ
Last edited by Russ on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogou

Post by gogou »

Elijah Lofgren wrote:
gogou wrote: - Private content. Pages that can't be accessed by anybody. like http access, but with login screen and content accessible for group of peoples and not for other.
I'm pretty sure that this is what FrontentUsers was designed for: http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/frontendusers
Or maybe that was CustomContent:
http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/customcontent

I'm not sure.  ;)
I use them in fact :) but It seem to be more a core related feature than a module one, no?

Thanks for all your answer, keep up the good work  :D. I'll definitly go for the debug of the 1B6 . I'm just stuck with my exam for the moment :s
Last edited by gogou on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Der Rudi
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Der Rudi »

Seems that I solved my previous posted problem
4. some strange display behaviour occurs (IE6 on XP pro) with the shortcuts; see attached images. The background does not revert back to normal when closing the shortcut menu; when doing a minimize / full screen cycle, the background is ok again. The same sort of behaviour I also see with the error/warnings box in the admin section: not, or partially displayed, when scrolling or placing a menu on top the text becomes visible, but not always! Hope someone can make sense of what I am trying to describe here 

in admin/themes/default/css/style.css look for div.pagecontainer p.pageheader and add height:1%;

Since I do not have any other browser than IE6 running on XP, could anyone please check if it still works in others, particulary FF? Thanks.

NOTE: seems the div.pagecontainer p.pageheader is the case for 0.13; now have to find out how it's named in 10b5. Any one of the developers knows?
Last edited by Der Rudi on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

gogou wrote: I use them in fact :) but It seem to be more a core related feature than a module one, no?

Thanks for all your answer, keep up the good work  :D. I'll definitly go for the debug of the 1B6 . I'm just stuck with my exam for the moment :s
I actually disagree with this, although some more features and more compatibility with the backend would be nice, I think that this is definately an addon type of feature.

Many sites don't need frontend user login capability, so why bloat the install with things they don't need.  As well, other sites don't need any synchronization between the frontend and backend (I worked on a site such as this, that had 14000+ users signed into the frontend users module). 

Many sites don't need the ability for users to be able to register themselves via email or (one of these days I'll get to it) captcha.  So there is no need for this functionality to be in the core.

Intranet sites, or sites with smaller user bases may like some synchronization between the frontend and the backend, and infact if somebody needs this functionality I'm open to offers, but I still think it's an addon.

CustomContent is similar.  Many sites don't need the advanced capabilities of this module, and although the module is relatively small.. it's still an option.

The way the core is organized at the moment it allows many sites to accomplish alot by itself, however the addon plugins and modules are there for people to add functionality into their sites.

Similarly it's my oppinion that the FileManager module doesn't need to be part of the core.  Some basic file managing capabilities are built in, and if this isn't quite enough for you, and are willing to pay with the extra space and memory that every additional module requires (some modules require more space, and considerably more memory) then youy can download and install the additional module..

Similarly, every time a module is added to the core, the development team assumes responsibility for that module, and assumes all of the bugs, security issues, and feature requests.  Doing this means that the same development team must now be stretched even further. 

If only we could work full time on this, and actually get paid for it.... maybe things would be easier.

Just my $0.02CDN.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
gogou

Post by gogou »

oh ok from that point of view, It seem not to be a very good idea. I know you have lot of work on it and well it is true that module help you to focus on the real core of cmsms and optimisation. Well nevermind then :) I'll continue like before.
Last edited by gogou on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bertmelis

Post by bertmelis »

Russ wrote: 3. The CMS Link popup, shows links which are set not to display in the menu, Strikes me if you don't want a link in the menu, (search results page for example,) then you don't want others to be able to link to it? This perhaps should be fixed and documented.
I for example have a 'sitemap' page which I don't want to display in the menu. But I do want to make links to the page...
Der Rudi
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Der Rudi »

@bertmelis
Indeed, 'sitemap' and 'disclaimer' are typical examples of content pages not in the menu, but will be linked to. Have several sites that have particular these two. So, CMS Link should show all links, displayed and not displayed in the menu. One could however argue that the ones marked 'inactive' would not be shown in CMSLink since they are, well, not active at all.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

I'm afraid I will re-cant and agree that all stuff except for inactive should go in. I'd missed some of the things you suggested.

Russ

Return to “Announcements”