1.0 Beta6 Released!

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
NickR

Re: 1.0 Beta5 Released!

Post by NickR »

I've noticed for a while that some modules use a lot of memory = especially with the 1.0 betas

I know another CMS where all functionality is 100% lazy loaded, every file has one job, eg news/add.php news/summary.php news/baseclass.php means pretty much only the code that is needed is loaded, it does mean a LOT of work for CMSMS to approach that.

Firstly, seperate admin interface functionailty to be lazy loaded into seperate files.
Seperate functionality that modifies content to be lazy loaded into seperate files.
This should mean that we should be left with the main functionaility to display a modules content to the front end
Seperate anything to do with templates into seperate files, eg default templates.
I know some modules do this and others dont.

I was also thinking about the overhead of unloading totally and loading modules that are not used - eg admin only modules dont run unless there actually is someone in admin area.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

NickR wrote: I've noticed for a while that some modules use a lot of memory = especially with the 1.0 betas

I know another CMS where all functionality is 100% lazy loaded, every file has one job, eg news/add.php news/summary.php news/baseclass.php means pretty much only the code that is needed is loaded, it does mean a LOT of work for CMSMS to approach that.
We're pretty much there already, and alot more work has been done to split out core so even most of the classes are lazy loaded.  If you look in News module (especially in B5) you'll see method.install.php method.uninstall.php action.addarticle.php, etc, etc, etc.

This doesn't mean that every module is this way, many are not yet.  But that's up to each module developer.  I've just split calendar out, but still have alot to do with FrontendUsers, SelfRegistration, Uploads, etc, etc, etc.
Firstly, seperate admin interface functionailty to be lazy loaded into seperate files.
Seperate functionality that modifies content to be lazy loaded into seperate files.
This should mean that we should be left with the main functionaility to display a modules content to the front end
Seperate anything to do with templates into seperate files, eg default templates.
I know some modules do this and others dont.

I was also thinking about the overhead of unloading totally and loading modules that are not used - eg admin only modules dont run unless there actually is someone in admin area.
Admin only modules can override an 'IsAdminOnly()' method and then they don't even get loaded on the frontend.
you'll have to look through the code.... we're alredy ahead of you on these issues :)
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
NickR

Post by NickR »

Cool :)
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 1.0 Beta6 Released!

Post by Ted »

Beta6 is up.  This is the last planned beta release, but we'll see.

Basically, this adds the lazy loading mechanisms talked about above.  The memory usage should be better now.  However, there is also a cost to this in that a decent amount of modules will need more tweaking.  Class method calls go away now, and that can cause an issue for modules that call back to core class methods.

I did, however, put in a backwards_compatible mode (in config.php).  If a module that you REALLY need to work uses static methods, then the backwards compatible mode will load all classes before hand (using more memory, obviously) and allow those calls to work.  But, it would just be better to bug your favorite module dev to fix it...

Keep in mind, that 1.0 doesn't hold the entire feature set we envision and it's not a "final" release by any means...  There is still tons of room for improvement (as I've read about above) and we'll continue working to get there.  However, we just need to get over this magical "1.0" hump to prove to people that we are in fact "stable" and can be used on a real site.  Granted most of the people reading this know that already.  :)

Keep up the good feedback.  Let's get this one out the door and start looking ahead to bigger and better things (I know I can't wait for that).

Thanks!  Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
badger

Post by badger »

No comment other than to say keep up the good work, you guys are making a GREAT product!
kode_fi
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by kode_fi »

Has anyone had problems deleting pages using admin panel's "trash can" button??
I've tried 1.0beta5 and beta6 using two linux boxes. After clean installation I try to delete "Default templates explained" and all sub pages. After hitting trash can button httpd takes 70% cpu time. After PHP max_execution_time, theres line in error.log

PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in /var/www/html/cmsbeta6/lib/adodb_lite/adodbSQL_drivers/mysql/mysql_driver.inc on line 274

I changed execution time to 120 secs but it makes no difference.
In some cases this failed deletion attempt screws up  content's hierarchy structure.

Apache 2.0.52
php 4.3.9
mysql 4.1.10
rodeto
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by rodeto »

After upgrading from beta 5 to beta 6 I got this message:

Fatal error: Class albumcontent: Cannot inherit from undefined class cmsmodulecontenttype in /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/modules/Album/classes/module/class.AlbumContent.php on line 33

all content in "Album" can not be openend, read or changed by my.

Any idea what this might be?

Post by cyberman »

@rodeto

Have you tried to set this to true:
Ted wrote: put in a backwards_compatible mode (in config.php).
Default is false ...
ZYV
Language Partners
Language Partners

Post by ZYV »

Post those on IRC, but anyway this it's worth for others to see the answers:
Just got another translation-wise question about CMSMS. Now given Ted released the last beta yesterday, how much time is left? Unfortunately, I've just strated the translation process (couldn't find time earlier). Gonna do that on my own, because other Russian translation team members don't have any more interest in the project :((

And what happens if I don't complete this at a time? The translation data entered in the TC after the release will be definitively lost? Or you will update the package from time to time?

Is there a way to get a dump of current translation in ru_RU.php form to test it locally (looks like another brilliant idea not yet implemented)?
DeeEye wrote:The translation data entered in the TC will not be lost (just won't make it into 1.0 stable, it will be in the release after it). After entering the translation in the TC you could test it easiest on an SVN installation (just do svn update).
So it does directly to the SVN for the 1.0 branch. This whole TC is a great thing!
Last edited by ZYV on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
unsigned double ZYV;
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

Found two things:

- permission 'Modify Any Page' was NOT set for admin group per default
- value 'Enable GCB WYSIWYG' (My Preferences > User-Preferences) cant set. After a click in checkbox and Submit, the page reloads and checkbox is empty.

Checked on my local server ...
Last edited by cyberman on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

kode_fi wrote: Has anyone had problems deleting pages using admin panel's "trash can" button??
No, works on my local server (both php versions) ...
Darien

Post by Darien »

rodeto wrote: After upgrading from beta 5 to beta 6 I got this message:

Fatal error: Class albumcontent: Cannot inherit from undefined class cmsmodulecontenttype in /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/modules/Album/classes/module/class.AlbumContent.php on line 33
I´ve got the same problem. I can´t upgrade from beta5 to beta6, because the upgrade.php stops with this message.
jce76350
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jce76350 »

Hi,
cyberman wrote: - value 'Enable GCB WYSIWYG' (My Preferences > User-Preferences) cant set. After a click in checkbox and Submit, the page reloads and checkbox is empty.
Also not working in local server
Windows XP Sp2  Apache 2.0.54 + MySQL 4.1.12 + PHP 5.0.4

And host server  http://acrn.free.fr//cms/
Apache/ProXad [Jul 17 2006 17:19:22] + mysql 5.0.25-nightly-20060803 + PHP Version 4.4.3-dev

And Global Content Blocks have no editor   ;)
Last edited by jce76350 on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jean-Claude Etiemble
rodeto
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by rodeto »

cyberman wrote: @rodeto

Have you tried to set this to true:
Ted wrote: put in a backwards_compatible mode (in config.php).
Default is false ...
Yes, thanks, now it's working. I wil get on checking it out

Post by cyberman »

Darien wrote: I´ve got the same problem
OK - haven't tried an update, only a fresh install ... perhaps album is one module which has problems with new optimizations Ted spokes about ::).

Have you tried to set backward compatibility mode manually before upgrading?

Is there a volunteer out there to create a list with modules which needs an update by dev?

If not, I'm afraid, we'll get masses of threads for every single module/tag with problems :-\.

Hmm, or we create an "award" like "1.0 ready" which will be shown in CMSms Forge. Please look at attachment  :).

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Last edited by cyberman on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Announcements”