1.0 Beta6 Released!

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
tsw
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 1.0 Beta4 Released!

Post by tsw »

larskong wrote: Should it perhaps be and then the stylesheet "Navigation: Simple - Horizontal"
maybe should be assigned this template also (or instead)?
Actually it should be menu ;) same html can be used for both vertical and horisontal and whatever direction menu so id name shouldt mark it. Just like class="red" is kind of stupid, class="notice" would be much better.
larskong wrote: Summing up:
1) There seem to be a problem with handling of sectionheader (maybe from both the template cssmenu.tpl and styling).
2) There seem to be a mismatch concerning templates and stylesheets with regards to horizontal menu.
Mind providing urls / screenshots. I havent noticed this problem yet (these fixes might not get into 1.0 though)

Thanks
Piratos

Re: 1.0 Beta5 Released!

Post by Piratos »

Beta 5 is the wrongest version i have ever seen by cmsms.

logger is back.

handling of stylesheet.php is back.

version.php is complete false

$CMS_VERSION = "0.11-beta5";
$CMS_VERSION_NAME = "Trinidad";
$CMS_SCHEMA_VERSION = "13";

No subdirs with smarty

Smarty cache is on at standard (this is slower)

and much more.

found 11 errors in 10 minutes.

i have no mind and time to report this all.

i am sure i find many other errors if i check it a half day.

so i am waiting  for the 1.1 stable .

-----------------------------------------------------

You may have some problems with your download. I get realy the 0.11 beta 5 by download the 1B5 - now i have the 1b5 and check it once more.
Last edited by Piratos on Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terabyte
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Terabyte »

Runing IIS 6.

ImageManager

Image Upload is not right. The file created (copied, uploaded image) I can't read after upload. The permissions are just wrong.

But the thumbnail created from the image file is fine! The permission are just right!

So what is wrong with the upload code?

FCKeditor

Stil the same issue is in the 1.0 Beta as in 0.13. The images are not shown when browse through the folder to insert a new image. This has been also a problem on 0.13 and there seems to be no solution yet, which makes the inserting of images into the content impossible.

(Otherwise I find the beta soooo nice!)
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

fresh installation

blank config.php needed to set write permissions, update needs a special routine for this.

------------------------------------
first call after fresh install (linux system local)

Generated in 0.326082 seconds by CMS Made Simple (not cached) using 26 SQL queries and 5263472 bytes of memory

------------------------------------

As the new default of 1B sub_dir of smarty  is unused.

The results after calling the page home 10 times:

Without smarty sub dirs
Generated in 0.34827 seconds by CMS Made Simple (not cached) using 20 SQL queries and 5198304 bytes of memory

With smarty sub dirs
Generated in 0.206469 seconds by CMS Made Simple (not cached) using 20 SQL queries and 5198904 bytes of memory

-------------------------------------

Cannot call the page Home with a click on the link after first call for the second time, must click on the reload button

Stylesheet.php is now calling 3 times:

that is not the best way to get the different stylesheets.

config.php

$config['image_transform_lib_path'] = '/usr/bin/ImageMagick/';

This not proofed in anyway.

---------------------------

Admin

SOAP-Problem (http://modules.cmsmadesimple.org/soap.p ... Repository): HTTP Error: Couldn't open socket connection to server http://modules.cmsmadesimple.org/soap.p ... Repository, Error (143306148):

This happens if someone is not online - the best way is to create an erroropage and not something like this.

nuSoap

If i uninstall this module:

--Add Me - module:nuSOAP string:postuninstall--

but now no errorstring comes like this:  SOAP-Problem (http://modules.cmsmadesimple.org/soap.p ... Repository) ....

Listmodules all standardmodules installed

Using 19 SQL queries and 5491640 bytes of memory

Listcontent

Using 16 SQL queries and 5598240 bytes of memory

Editcontent Page Home

Using 19 SQL queries and 5313968 bytes of memory

You must see that FCKEDITOR is a javascript and must be downloaded via internet and he gets his own local memory

In the preview i cannot see the content of the module news!

i have 2 editor windows until i click on the reload button:

The styles used from this page are not imported automatically used in Fckeditor - the Styles i create in the FCKEditor are not exported automatically in the FCKEditor.

-----------------------------------------

eventhandlers  (Who needs that ??? )

list

Using 10 SQL queries and 5654176 bytes of memory

listbookmarks

Using 10 SQL queries and 4920608 bytes of memory

--------------------------------------------------

After playing something in the admin i click on the button view site and than this:

Generated in 0.213062 seconds by CMS Made Simple (not cached) using 15 SQL queries and 4325824 bytes of memory

(using smarty sub_dir)  what happens ?

I have uninstalled module News and forgott this:

News need by itself ca. 1 MB RAM  - a very big memory eater !!

if you are working as admin news, thememaneger and menumanager needs ca. 5,79 MB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

found within 1 hour 17 errors in several libs.

---------------------------------------------

playing with some values in config.php - smarty sub_dir is always set to true, the value was after test restting to the original

setting $config['old_stylesheet'] = true;

This did not work.

setting $config['internal_pretty_urls'] = true;

Generated in 0.232456 seconds by CMS Made Simple (not cached) using 20 SQL queries and 5198048 bytes of memory

setting $config['use_hierarchy'] = true;

Generated in 0.360947 seconds by CMS Made Simple (not cached) using 20 SQL queries and 5197648 bytes of memory

setting $config['persistent_db_conn'] = true;

Generated in 0.185744 seconds by CMS Made Simple (not cached) using 20 SQL queries and 5198056 bytes of memory

setting

$config['assume_mod_rewrite'] = true;  and  $config['use_hierarchy'] = true;

did not work
----------------------------------

Playing with Modulemanager

After starting i am waiting 2 minutes (ISDN) nothing happens so it seems, but it works.

Using 10 SQL queries and 7469784 bytes of memory

Loading Guestbook latest version

Using 29 SQL queries and 7526736 bytes of memory

Start the modulemanager again - waiting again 2 minutes

cannot compare filemanager version with the installed version so i dont know if i have the latest version.

if you are using a php version with the function memory_get_peak_usage you will see, that cmsms never works sure with a memory limit of 8 mb - the highest peaks are nearly 12 mb

if someone has 8 mb (that are the most people) yopu must complete uninstall and delete the modulemanager and the nusoap.
-----------------------

filemanager

if ypu try an upload greater as the max_upload_size  nothing is done - and never an errorstring to say the user why it is so.
Last edited by Piratos on Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sds

Post by sds »

uploaded new files, went through upgrade from 0.13, and now menu doesn't work:

string(91) "Smarty error: unable to read resource: "module_file_tpl:MenuManager;cssmenu-accessible.tpl""

http://www.sabresreport.com/cms/
sds

Post by sds »

sds wrote: uploaded new files, went through upgrade from 0.13, and now menu doesn't work:

string(91) "Smarty error: unable to read resource: "module_file_tpl:MenuManager;cssmenu-accessible.tpl""

http://www.sabresreport.com/cms/
I don't know if this file should be in there:

cssmenu-accessible.tpl

but it was NOT included in the tar.gz beta 5 download.  I copied the file from 0.13 and now it is working (although I don't know if it should be updated or not.)
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Menu templates just searche thru your pages and makes an out of them with classes or id's set on the particular pages that the templates says to, these can be used across the board, I believe.
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

Terabyte wrote: Runing IIS 6.

ImageManager

Image Upload is not right. The file created (copied, uploaded image) I can't read after upload. The permissions are just wrong.

But the thumbnail created from the image file is fine! The permission are just right!

So what is wrong with the upload code?

FCKeditor

Stil the same issue is in the 1.0 Beta as in 0.13. The images are not shown when browse through the folder to insert a new image. This has been also a problem on 0.13 and there seems to be no solution yet, which makes the inserting of images into the content impossible.

(Otherwise I find the beta soooo nice!)
It may be a problem with your config.php file: http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... l#msg34322
Note: I don't have time to take on any more projects. I'm quite busy. I may be too busy to reply to emails or messages. Thanks for your understanding. :)
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

First off calguy1000, thanks very much for your reply, I know it helps me to know someone is listening and I'm sure others feel the same way to ;-)

1. OK, as for the Search module, no errors. Setting 'debug' in config seems to do nothing? In http log only

Code: Select all

localhost - - [20/Aug/2006:07:59:54 +0100] "GET /cms/admin/listmodules.php?action=install&module=Search HTTP/1.1" 200 3789
localhost - - [20/Aug/2006:07:59:55 +0100] "GET /cms/admin/style.php HTTP/1.1" 200 13040
Can I be of anymore help?

2. The File Manager Module seems to be something to do with CSS or JavaScript as the content is still their but is not displaying. I've posted in the relevant group.

3. Thanks for the info on Module Manager, it is a 'nice feature' but is it critical compared to the other stuff talked about below.

4. Thanks for the information on cms_selflink, I'll try it out.

5, 7, Other comments. See below:

I have this said this once before, but I guess it needs repeating. Focus is important in any project and the focus should be that of what the users need rather than what can be delivered to any timeframe or version number. I understand about limiting features when you get to a beta, but not when it is artificially created and does not include the right features. The choice of what goes in is critical to success. Look at the forums, it is not hard to see what users want!

For example, I would suspect that many of CMS users would really like a working editor. Get FCKeditor (or another) to work seamlessly and you will have a lot of happier users! Same would apply to replacing the file manager and image manager with better modules. These are things that people will use everyday! While you are at it, maybe include Album as the default image tool and lose the image manager plugin. This is a good start for the basic CMS. What about a spell checker - seems like a must have to me?

As for News and perhaps a blog module based upon it - having the right url at the start is critical for Google/linking. On many commercial sites changing these links at a latter date would not be an option. So lets make them good from the start. (This would apply to album as well.) Now this is starting to look feature rich, especially when you add in a Comments module for feedback - which surely should be in the core? (You didn't answer my question on the smarty form creation rather than straight form creation in PHP in Comments and other modules?).

Search would also be core critical, but I can't test this at the moment, see see above. Piratos's works fine however. And what about including the Google sitemap.php - seems obvious to me.

For me at least, and I suspect many others, multi users editing is a must. What exactly is the point of all the groups and permissions etc. if only one person can really edit the site? This feature pretty much makes CMS useful for my children, but not for any serious CMS work - which I think is a shame because it has every potential to be a very good CMS.

I think the same would apply to multi-lingual for many of the current CMS users, although I understand you may want to achieve a working single language version before embarking on a multi-lingual CMS.

There has been so much work on things like the Ajax enhancements, Module Manger, Events and Soap, some of which are very good. Some of which have problems - module manager for one - is it necessary! Most people can copy a folder! Are they really core! I understand you are trying to build for the future, especially with events, but you are building on top of a half finished house! Lets finish the house first!

I was also slightly put off by some of your comments regarding modules not being core. I understand what you are saying, but from a users point of view, they will upgrade to 1.0 when it is stable and expect things to work. This will not only put people off upgrading, it will make CMS seem much less attractive.

I'm sorry to rant on like this, but I've put a lot of time into using, writing for and testing CMS Made Simple. I don't think we are anywhere near a first version till we iron out the problems outlined above and focus our efforts on the deficiencies. CMS Made Simple would then truly be a really good CMS, perhaps the best.

Russ

p.s. Piratos has also made quite a few comments in an earlier post, some of which I think also need to be addressed with some urgency.
larskong

Post by larskong »

tsw wrote:
larskong wrote:
Actually it should be menu ;) same html can be used for both vertical and horisontal and whatever direction menu so id name shouldt mark it. Just like class="red" is kind of stupid, class="notice" would be much better.
That is fine with me, and I think it is important to correct it in the standard installation of CMSMS, so that it is logical and
have the right stylesheets assigned to the right templates. I can not find in any of the stylesheets.
larskong wrote: Mind providing urls / screenshots. I havent noticed this problem yet (these fixes might not get into 1.0 though).

Thanks
ad 1) Section header problem: Please see included screenshots from the standard installation (se below).
ad 2) Template - stylesheet mismatch: Please see above in this post and also the following item http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 236.0.html It is the same problem.

Kind regards / Lars

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Der Rudi
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Der Rudi »

Tested beta5, found the following:
1. When previewing page before submitting, no error is shown; seems this http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... l#msg33439 is fixed

2. The login name now appears in the Admin log; seems this http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php/topic,5867.msg33322.html#msg33322 is fixed
Edited: a bit to positive: not fixed; see attached image.

3. Css does not validate http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... l#msg33392 is not fixed

4. some strange display behaviour occurs (IE6 on XP pro) with the shortcuts; see attached images. The background does not revert back to normal when closing the shortcut menu; when doing a minimize / full screen cycle, the background is ok again. The same sort of behaviour I also see with the error/warnings box in the admin section: not, or partially displayed, when scrolling or placing a menu on top the text becomes visible, but not always! Hope someone can make sense of what I am trying to describe here ???

Last edited by Der Rudi on Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

Do not forget other browsers - so the Linux Standard Browser Konqueror.

You have a nice output - i call it the cms killer:

Piratos

Post by Piratos »

The  Konqueror has ca. 720 x 560 px output and this on a 1024x768 screen.

FCKEditor does not work.
Last edited by Piratos on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Russ wrote: First off calguy1000, thanks very much for your reply, I know it helps me to know someone is listening and I'm sure others feel the same way to ;-)

1. OK, as for the Search module, no errors. Setting 'debug' in config seems to do nothing? In http log only

Code: Select all

localhost - - [20/Aug/2006:07:59:54 +0100] "GET /cms/admin/listmodules.php?action=install&module=Search HTTP/1.1" 200 3789
localhost - - [20/Aug/2006:07:59:55 +0100] "GET /cms/admin/style.php HTTP/1.1" 200 13040
Can I be of anymore help?
Which system are you using?  apache/php (which versions),  or IIS/php ?

2. The File Manager Module seems to be something to do with CSS or JavaScript as the content is still their but is not displaying. I've posted in the relevant group.

3. Thanks for the info on Module Manager, it is a 'nice feature' but is it critical compared to the other stuff talked about below.
You're right, it's not as critical as some things, but surprisingly, alot of peoplle cannot upload a folder via ftp to their installation.  They have all kinds of problems and we're repeatedly helping them in the forum or irc channel with problems like case sensitivity, bad ftp clients, permissions, putting things in the wrong subdirectory, etc, etc. This feature is looked at as core as it (when we get rid of a few problems in it) will make life easier for all the users.  it's pretty crude right now and I expect it to get alot more useful after 1.0 comes out and we can add more features and bells and whistles to it.
4. Thanks for the information on cms_selflink, I'll try it out.

5, 7, Other comments. See below:

I have this said this once before, but I guess it needs repeating. Focus is important in any project and the focus should be that of what the users need rather than what can be delivered to any timeframe or version number. I understand about limiting features when you get to a beta, but not when it is artificially created and does not include the right features. The choice of what goes in is critical to success. Look at the forums, it is not hard to see what users want!
We always try to come up with a compromise between features, bugfixes, and timelines that seems reasonable without waiting six to nine months for a release which is too long.  Asking five different users what features they say are required will always get you five different answers.  We have tried to walk the line as best we can.  As well, since this team is made up of volunteers each with different priorities, they have to be balanced as well.  This is why some features make it into the core whereas others don't.  Because there is a volunteer willing and available to work on them.
For example, I would suspect that many of CMS users would really like a working editor. Get FCKeditor (or another) to work seamlessly and you will have a lot of happier users! Same would apply to replacing the file manager and image manager with better modules. These are things that people will use everyday! While you are at it, maybe include Album as the default image tool and lose the image manager plugin. This is a good start for the basic CMS. What about a spell checker - seems like a must have to me?
Again, I'll say it... I think HTML wysiwyg editors are a scourge.  People expect them to operate like ms-word in php's 8mb of ram, and to have no errors.  It's essentially impossible if you ask me.  but this is why I don't use, or work on html editors.  Work has been done on fckeditor, it's been updated to the latest version, and some people have worked on the cms addon features, but it will always be a continuing project and if you ask me it'll never be perfect for everybody.  One person says one day 'why is this feature in the editor, it's huge, takes up alot of memory and nobody ever uses it (smileys)".  Then the next week somebody says "why don't the smileys work... I want to use them".  We can never win.

We decided not to include Album and the new file manager module in 1.0 to limit the beta period for 1.0, keep the core size down (believe it or not, some people are complaining about this too), and more importantly it's a "devil you know vs a devil you don't know" thing, esp related to security issues.  Album and FileManager will go through their own development cycle for a while so that they can stabilize by themselves and we can re-consider using them in the core later.
As for News and perhaps a blog module based upon it - having the right url at the start is critical for Google/linking. On many commercial sites changing these links at a latter date would not be an option. So lets make them good from the start. (This would apply to album as well.) Now this is starting to look feature rich, especially when you add in a Comments module for feedback - which surely should be in the core? (You didn't answer my question on the smarty form creation rather than straight form creation in PHP in Comments and other modules?).

Search would also be core critical, but I can't test this at the moment, see see above. Piratos's works fine however. And what about including the Google sitemap.php - seems obvious to me.

For me at least, and I suspect many others, multi users editing is a must. What exactly is the point of all the groups and permissions etc. if only one person can really edit the site? This feature pretty much makes CMS useful for my children, but not for any serious CMS work - which I think is a shame because it has every potential to be a very good CMS.

I think the same would apply to multi-lingual for many of the current CMS users, although I understand you may want to achieve a working single language version before embarking on a multi-lingual CMS.
Surprisingly, most people I know don't use CMS in this way, at least not that often.  Usually one or two people at most are editing the site, rarely simultaneously, and almost never on the same page at the same time.  I agree it's something that should be fixed, but the volunteer base didn't get to it in this release because I guess they didn't need it.  We also made our best effort to go through the bug list, and the feature list to see what was critical to fix, or non-intrusive to implement.  Some things didn't make it.

As well, Ted says that he agrees multi-user editing is important, but doesn't know a way to implement it properly without potentially messing alot of things up.  Thus, it has to wait for a new development cycle.
There has been so much work on things like the Ajax enhancements, Module Manger, Events and Soap, some of which are very good. Some of which have problems - module manager for one - is it necessary! Most people can copy a folder! Are they really core! I understand you are trying to build for the future, especially with events, but you are building on top of a half finished house! Lets finish the house first!
As this is a volunteer based project, the volunteers implement features that are important to them, and also bug fixes that involve areas of the code that they are familiar with and/or a priority to them first.  This means things like Ajax enhancements and Module Manager, Events and Soap (which are all mine), will get in before FckEditor gets fixed.... because the primary developer on FckEditor hasn't been around too much, and nobody else has picked up that ball yet.

With regards to the house.  "A Finished House" is again different to everybody you ask.  Some people will want an empty house with no baseboards or trim so that they can do it themselves.  The next person will want it completely painted, finished, polished floors, and furnished just so before they'll call it "Finished".  We're always fighting a losing battle this way.

and again, with regards to Module Manager..... no people can't upload a folder, or resolve dependencies, or even find the module in the forge sometimes.  that's why these modules were written to attempt to appease the masses, and to rectify issues that a large portion of the userbase were encountering.  People with unix expertise, or experience with permissions, or who can download a file and upload it via ftp recursively like us have no difficulty with the .tar.gz method of installing modules.... the masses do.
I was also slightly put off by some of your comments regarding modules not being core. I understand what you are saying, but from a users point of view, they will upgrade to 1.0 when it is stable and expect things to work. This will not only put people off upgrading, it will make CMS seem much less attractive.
To a point I agree with you, but we cannot take responsibility for everybody's modules.  I've already taken responsibility for more modules than I wanted to, and it prevents me from writing the modules I want to write.  To a certain extent, there is gonna be some things that will break when people upgrade to 1.0 because some of the modules they're using aren't compatible with 1.0.  We've tried to encourage all developers to release new versions of their modules, but not everybody has responded.  There isn't much more we can do.

Also, our attempt is to make the CMS core as small as possible, and allow for a wide array of third party addons.  We want to keep the number of modules included in the core relatively small, but to also include a core set of features that most of the users will want or need (not everybody needs a blog), to this end News is included, comments is not (It's akrabat's module, and I've kinda taken it over recently).  Similarly, ModuleManager is in the core, but ModuleRepository is not.  Album is not, and the new file manager module for the reasons listed abovfe, but FCKEditor is.... because I guess the masses require some sort of wysiwyg (groan).
I'm sorry to rant on like this, but I've put a lot of time into using, writing for and testing CMS Made Simple. I don't think we are anywhere near a first version till we iron out the problems outlined above and focus our efforts on the deficiencies. CMS Made Simple would then truly be a really good CMS, perhaps the best.

Russ

p.s. Piratos has also made quite a few comments in an earlier post, some of which I think also need to be addressed with some urgency.
There are no problems with people ranting in a reasonable way like this.  It gives us a chance to respond and to illustrate to some people what our concerns, issues, priorities and difficulties are.  This is a volunteer project, we don't get paid for working on CMS, and alot of us attempt to have lives outside of the computer room (it's not working that well for me at the moment though).  This makes it extra difficult for end-users who wonder why the features that they think are important aren't getting addressed. 

We're still trying to look into the search thing, but I just did another fresh installation from SVN (that's three this week) on LAMP and it worked fine for me.  Others have had no difficulty either.  it's weird.

Piratos' issues are largely about memory requirements.... 8mb is the bare minimum that will get you by with CMS 1.0, and the minimum will probably change to 12 or 16 at a later date, but there isn't much more we can do.  We've gone through alot of code to minimize the memory requirements, but are hitting a feature/memory limit wall.  He says things like "Events.... who need them".  but the developers that have used the new events functionality really like it, as it allows decoupling of modules, smaller code footprints, and custom workflows.  Also, we have implemented a large portion of his recommendations, particularly related to indexes, etc on the database tables.  Ted also spent considerable time verifying the svn base was correct based on one of his recent rants.  Everybody is being considered.

Hopes this helps.  :) 
Now.... back to my weekend.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

FCKEditor does not work.
Do not work at this - fckeditor and tinymce cannot work with konqueror  - i have find this on their websites.

Return to “Announcements”