Forge Cleanup

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Forge Cleanup

Post by calguy1000 »

Then please mark it as 'not stale'.. it's not like I'm the only one doing things.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
nockenfell
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nockenfell »

Ok and how can i do that? i'm not Owner or Developer of the project.
Foaly*
Translator
Translator

Post by Foaly* »

hey nockenfell,

I've just written an email to the developer.
pixelita
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by pixelita »

So if there is a module or plugin that is currently flagged as stale, and we know that it is currently working fine (and by "working fine" I mean it works perfectly, without error, on the LATEST version of CMSMS), if we care about this module/plugin and don't want to see it removed, we should take it upon ourselves to contact the developer and urge him to modify his forge entry to remove the "stale" flag, correct?

There are quite a few modules that I consistently use that work just great but seem to have been abandoned by their developers. (And that's not an indictment of any module developers; things change; lives change; priorities change.) I just want to be able to do what I can to see that these great modules don't fall by the wayside unless and until they DO become a security threat (due to their age) for a current CMSMS install.

I have several of these stale modules in use on current versions of CMSMS. If there is anything (other than contacting those module developers) that I can do to help, please let me know.
Submit your site to the We Love CMSMS showcase
Duketown

Post by Duketown »

Is there a way that developers that want/have the time/need to extend their portfolio/start on first module, to step in but the current project admin(s) of the module has not removed the stale flag, to take over?
For example module DBManager has the stale flag at this moment and I'm interested to take it over. Let's say I have tried to contact the admin, but no reply. What now?

@pixelita: maybe worthwhile to mention modules you like to have the stale flag turned off.

Duketown
dmgd
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dmgd »

I don't know how forge works and I hope this is not out of line. I have a problem in that I never throw anything away. (data that is)

So is there a way to add a flag to every module and tag such as "Out Dated/Dead" or use the Stale flag? Using this flag hide the module/tag from the list then create a section call Out Dated modules where these would be displayed.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

@duketown as the CMSMS Dev team does not own the copyright on contributed modules. Therefore we cannot just 'give' those modules/plugins away that is up to the module author. Your remaining choice if you can't contact the author to maintain his module or give you responsibility is to properly fork it.

- Create a new project on the forge with a new name
- Change the name of the module
- (preferrably change the database tables if any, and other things so that the two modules can co-exist)
- RETAIN the original authors name and information in the copyright notice
(many authors don't put copyright notices in, so if you do on an existing file be sure to give credit to the original author).
- Assume responsibility for your new module.

@pixelita ... we won't be just marking projects 'not stale' because somebody wants them/still uses them... the authors/administrators of that module have to do that.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
janaf
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by janaf »

This may not belong here but is closely related.

For us normal dumb-ass-non-devs it would be useful if the forge has some flags / dates whatever, that modules like Download Mangager could use to filter out stale / old projects, just showing those that are active / updated-in-the-last-X-months / non-stale-marked.

But I guess that's it's quite enough to use the latest update date, stale flag and wherther the project has any files...

I also guess a many of us non-developers use Download Manager rather than searching the repository directly...

My 2c worth

Return to “Announcements”