Coming Soon - CMS Made Simple 1.10

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Coming Soon - CMS Made Simple 1.10

Post by calguy1000 »

Another Update:

Here's what's happened in recent days:
a: IP Address logging has been added to the audit log for all entries created by a logged in administrator. We may look at optionally enabling this for frontend entries as well.
b: The admin log interface has been significantly improved (thanks Morten).
c: We've tightened the interface on the content objects
(all member variables that were public are now private or protected and we've made sure that there are suitable methods for them).
d: The content object has been converted to use the PHP5 style __construct() method rather than PHP4 style constructor.
e: The admin navigation is now cached, reducing the need to load modules in the admin interface. This is a big memory saver.
NOTE: THIS MAY BREAK SOME MODULES THAT IMPLEMENT CONTENT TYPES.

it is highly recommended that module developers take advantage of the beta process when it starts, so that they can ensure that their module(s) will continue to work with CMSMS 1.10.

Thanks again.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Mieszko
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Mieszko »

calguy1000 wrote:Another Update:

Here's what's happened in recent days:
a: IP Address logging has been added to the audit log for all entries created by a logged in administrator. We may look at optionally enabling this for frontend entries as well.
Please keep in mind, that European/German law is very strict about IP logging, so maybe there should be an option to truncate IPs.
I do not want to use software that is against our law.
Thank you.
nicmare
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nicmare »

afaik this just affects activities of the admin. so therefore i do not see any problems…
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Another Update:

The summer has been long and hot, and everybody seems to be getting busier (is that a sign of an improving global economy, lets hope so). And the 1.10 development cycle is close to its end. If we want to do a beta process for CMSMS 1.10 sometime later this summer we have to stabilize the core. That is why we've begun to cut some of the wishlist items off of the 'TODO list', in favor of stability. Some of the bigger ticket items like a replacement for the MenuManager, and admin side search have been dropped. Some other items that are assigned to other developers may get dropped too as we close in on the deadline. The DEV team has been busy testing, fixing, and re-testing both our new features, and existing functionality and making sure things work.

However, people still need a compelling reason to upgrade, so a few fancy new features are making it in to the core. Like 'Preview' for adding and editing news articles (which is now in testing). There are a few other small and easy to implement features we'll probably look at in the next couple of weeks too. We'll be sticking with the 'biggest bang' for the 'least effort' mentality when deciding which of these to throw in.

The ModuleManager improvements have been tested, and appear to work properly now, so (although I've been meaning to do it for a few days now) I will soon be replacing the main module repository module on www.cmsmadesimple.org with the newest version so that everything will work when the beta process begins. BTW. The new module repository module is backwards compatible with the ModuleManager that distributes with CMSMS 1.9.x

In this release we've taken the opportunity to do a fair amount of cleanup of the code. We've done things like hide/remove public members of objects, implement singletons etc. We have accepted that we are going to have to break a little bit of the functionality for the sake of moving things forward, we just don't want to break too much functionality all at one time.

We've taken advantage of some PHP 5.x magic to solve a couple of the annoying things that have long existed in CMSMS (like the redundant smarty, cms, and config members of the module class). We used a simple __get() method to allow us to eliminate these members while retaining (mostly) backwards compatibility. This will allow debugging your module state alot easier. The smarty {debug} tag, and dumping the contents of a module should now work nicely.

We've also noticed a few more things that will probably be broken when people upgrade to CMSMS 1.10. So here's the current list:
a: Modules won't be able to take advantage of lazy loading on the frontend till they are adjusted for CMSMS 1.10
b: Modules, plugins and UDT's that access the $gCms->modules array will be broken (some other members of $gCms have been made private). The ModuleOperations class now has the appropriate replacement methods. Your code will now have to assume that a module is not necessarily loaded into memory (However: cms_utils::get_module('SomeModule') will load it).
c: Modules that implement content types will be broken. Though the changes needed should be minor. This is primarily because we're using the PHP5 style __construct() constructor and not the PHP4 constructor. Additionally, most member variables of the ContentBase class have been made private or protected, so content type classes need to use the appropriate accessor methods.
d: Admin themes and other code that improperly use $gCms->siteprefs (now gone) and other members of the $gCms object will be broken.
- the replacement functionality for this stuff has been available since 1.9 so there should be no problems with conversion.

Again, one more reminder:

IT IS IMPORTANT FOR MODULE DEVELOPERS TO TEST AND ADJUST THEIR MODULES DURING THE BETA PROCESS.

Anyways, that's all for now. I just thought I'd keep you in the loop. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

Thanks for the update, CalGuy!
Make your community a better place!
micahgodbolt
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by micahgodbolt »

Speaking of modules that "implement content type", would that include Advanced Content module and Catalog? Basically anything that adds extra items into the content type dropdown.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

pcfcopies wrote:Speaking of modules that "implement content type", would that include Advanced Content module and Catalog? Basically anything that adds extra items into the content type dropdown.
Yes, those are the two that I know about. But there may be more.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
netfied

Post by netfied »

@calguy ;D ;D
I like the way you address the cmsms universe as a religion thats a gud idea for a cult >:D
Golf Gti

Post by Golf Gti »

e: The admin navigation is now cached, reducing the need to load modules in the admin interface. This is a big memory saver.
I thought you added the menu cache in 1.9.4.2?
I am having a issue on 1.9.4.2 when I add a new content item I have to clear the cache to see the new content in the admin menu and the main site menu.

Did you fix it to clear the cache for you so the item shows up?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Golf Gti wrote:I thought you added the menu cache in 1.9.4.2?
v1.9 added the ability for MenuManager to cache it's output (this is for display on the frontend, you need to turn on caching for the templates for this to work). As nothing to do with the admin navigation.
Golf Gti wrote: I am having a issue on 1.9.4.2 when I add a new content item I have to clear the cache to see the new content in the admin menu and the main site menu.

This issue has been addressed numerous times in the forum. You must set the timezone in your config.php to match the SERVER's timezone. If you have erred and selected the wrong timezone, or this is an upgrade and no timezone is configured (and your server's php version has upgraded). You may see these problems.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Golf Gti wrote:I thought you added the menu cache in 1.9.4.2?
v1.9 added the ability for MenuManager to cache it's output (this is for display on the frontend, you need to turn on caching for the templates for this to work). As nothing to do with the admin navigation.
Golf Gti wrote: I am having a issue on 1.9.4.2 when I add a new content item I have to clear the cache to see the new content in the admin menu and the main site menu.

This issue has been addressed numerous times in the forum. You must set the timezone in your config.php to match the SERVER's timezone. If you have erred and selected the wrong timezone, or this is an upgrade and no timezone is configured (and your server's php version has upgraded). You may see these problems.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
Golf Gti

Re: Calguy1000

Post by Golf Gti »

Thanks for the info, I should of searched. Image Apparently I didn't set the time zone in the config after upgrade.
Sorry for jacking the thread.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Update

At the dev team meeting today we officially called 'Feature Cut-Off' and scheduled the beta to start on the 20th of August.

We intend this beta to go approximately 30 days but we will definitely not let it go on forever, and are aiming for 60 days maximum.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Yet another update:

The dev team is now preparing for the CMSMS 1.10 beta program to start, finishing up the last of the workability issues and testing in the hopes that the beta will be smooth.

As it stands right now, we have to update the default content and a few of the modules relating to some of the changes we've made in CMSMS 1.10, and there are a few issues left in MicroTiny our new wysiwyg editor, but things are looking pretty good. We don't feel that these issues prevent us from launching the beta process but we'll try to knock them off this week anyways.

As an added bonus, due to dropping PDF support, and exchanging TinyMCE for MicroTiny (and a few other things) the size of the distribution has shrunk by approximately 33%... the size of the full package is (as of today) 3976159 bytes compared to 5859728 in 1.9.4.2 . The size of the base (english only) package is 2087613 as compared to 3816071 in 1.9.4.2. This is a dramatic change, and will result in faster upgrade times, and more convenience for those people that are still stuck with FTP.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

Just 2MB places CMSMS very favorably in relation to other CMSes.

Return to “Announcements”