Server/Software Upgrades

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Server/Software Upgrades

Post by Wishbone »

What I've done on my kart club's forum (also phpbb3) to combat spammer registrations is to define a custom profile field asking "How many wheels does your kart have?", set the field to numeric and set the acceptable range to be between 4 and 4, and make it a required field when registering. I had to set the field to not display, so that it doesn't say it under your avatar. :)

I changed the 'lang' variable that displays the error message: "The value of %s should be between %d and %d" to "The value of '%s' is wrong." so that bots wouldn't be given a clue as what to put.

Not the largest forum, but we went from 40 attempted spammer registrations a day to 1 or 2 per year.

This feature can be seen here: http://portlandkarting.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=register (after clicking "I Agree")
fredp
Forum Members
Forum Members

Conversion error [Re: Server/Software Upgrades]

Post by fredp »

I was looking through my old posts and I noticed that one didn't make it through the BB software conversion process 100% intact: Re: [V1.6.5.] Internal Link with Design - display of html-code.

Looks like some of the BBCode formatting is wrong and some text is missing. IIRC, what now reads as "-style" originally read something like "<a href>-style". If someone still has access to the old BB system, perhaps they would, at their convenience, retrieve the original post and fix this?

Thanks.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
- Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Announcements”