1.7 Coming and Repository Changes

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

1.7 Coming and Repository Changes

Post by Ted »

Reposted from: http://blog.cmsmadesimple.org/2010/02/2 ... y-changes/
So, we apparently miscalculated the acceptance of 5.3 along the major web hosting companies. The old track record of PHP adoption was that it takes several years for a major upgrade to be accepted. However, things must’ve changed, because we’re hearing more and more issues with 5.3 compatibility, even though it’s only been out for a few months.

With that, we’ve decided that there will be a 1.7 release of CMS Made Simple. This version will basically a 5.3 compatible version of CMS Made Simple, but it will most likely break PHP4 compatibility. Since we’ve been basically saying that PHP4 has been deprecated since 2007, but never acted upon, this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise to everyone. We’re not positive that we won’t be able to keep PHP4 working with 1.7, but it’s a possibility that people should be prepared for.

All future releases of 1.6 will be security patches only, and only if necessary.

CMSMS 2.0 development will still continue on. 1.7 will only be getting a percentage of the dev team’s time in order to get PHP 5.3 working. Probably won’t be a ton of new features here as well. We’re trying to keep all the major work in the 2.0 branch.

So, in short:

1.6 – Security patches only. PHP4 compatibility.
1.7 – PHP 5.3 compatibility. Minor feature additions. Possible PHP4 breakage.
2.0 – Major redesign and redevelopment. PHP 5.2+ only.

Repository Changes

If you follow CMSMS development in subversion, we’ve moved some branches around in order to facilitate these changes. The original 1.7.x branch, which became 2.0 will be in the trunk. The old trunk became the old-2.0 branch, and we copied 1.6.x to 1.7.x for 1.7.x development. It looks something like this:

/trunk moves to /branches/old-2.0
/branches/1.7.x moves to /trunk
/branches/1.6.x copied to /branches/1.7.x

If you have a checkout of one of these branches, you can easily change it to the new location with svn switch. For example, if you’ve been following 2.0 development, you can go into your checked out version and do the command with the location of the moved branches location like:

svn switch http://svn.cmsmadesimple.org/svn/cmsmadesimple/trunk .
replytomk3

Re: 1.7 Coming and Repository Changes

Post by replytomk3 »

Just sent my support your way. Keep up the good work. Also, if we had small but often talked about goodies like comma separated values for meta page information, logging of error messages in the admin panel instead of dumping on the website, ecommerce demo package, obsolete modules cleanup, automatic "config.php" creation + /install deletion, print button nofollow to robots, news pretty url, etc I would get a heart attack from happiness.

Oh well.
aliceraunsbaek
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by aliceraunsbaek »

Is there and (approximate) date for when 1.7 is expected to be out?
Silmarillion
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Silmarillion »

Soon! Actually it mostly need a bit of testing... My estimate is before the end of the month...
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

Silmarillion wrote: Soon! Actually it mostly need a bit of testing... My estimate is before the end of the month...
My good wishes to the CMSMS team

Return to “Announcements”