Separation of CMSMS MLE Fork from cmsmadesimple.org

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Update:

Post by calguy1000 »

Alby came in to the dev team IRC channel and finally had some (though not much) time to talk with the team.

In that time we seem to have come to a conclusion wrt the MLE issue and hope to have an announcement within the next few days.

We'll keep you posted, but don't get your hopes up.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
sleiron
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Separation of CMSMS MLE Fork from cmsmadesimple.org

Post by sleiron »

thanks for the update calguy.

cheers
Sandro
kaputti

Post by kaputti »

To bad! Iam using CMSMS for many years now. I've also set up many multilanguage sites with the MLE fork. And now, you kick this project away! Why? Your reasons are not worth the time you wrote them. I hope you will find a solution soon! Maybe for me it's to late. I will look for another more comfortable more simple CMS.

Sorry guys, but this isn't fair!

Maybe we see us again in CMSMS 2.0...
Last edited by kaputti on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonoo
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by moonoo »

We need a bridging solution before multilingual is introduced into the core.. MLE provided this with minimum effort for designer. Maximum respect and input for both Core and Alby for making this CMS the best solution for me in terms of CMS for clients.

If there is to be a separately hosted site with Dev of MLE, I would greatly hope that this happens soon.

A lot of Europe so it seems are using MLE for their site builds.. UK included.

Look forward to a response/solution to this.
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

I offered to host MLE files and forum on cms-made-simple.ch to keep MLE fork alive, could this be a bridging solution ? If it is, we have to wait for Alby's opinion anyway, MLE for is his work, and a brilliant one.
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
moonoo
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by moonoo »

Lets hope an answer comes soon then.. be a shame to let such a great Fork of a project just disappear like that when so much interest and use has been had from MLE here.

Yes it's been discussed and agreed to remove it from Core forum and site. No problems with that. Just surprised really, when no real human friendly alternative exists in the meantime while we await multilingual integration.

any assistance in getting this up and running.. I'm up for it. Front end design/(renaming) as was suggested in an earlier post.

EDIT

I see the forum category is back.. I wonder if files will follow in the meantime :) you know you want to.
Last edited by moonoo on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trastevere

Post by trastevere »

I never understood why the MLE is not part of the core. If the version 2.0 is a rewrite, I don't see why MLE just don't be part of the 1.x series, if so many people are using it.
raroman

CMSMS MLE Fork: Discussion Gaining momentum

Post by raroman »

It seems this thread has kicked off a new round of discussions in the DEV team. Glad to hear that! CMSms has come so far, it would be a pity for the community to stumble in this question of MLE.

@uniqu3, thanks for the numbers. Astonishing with regards to EuropeUS.

@sleiron and @seensite: Thanks for your hands-on offers to improve the situation! It's what keeps open-source alive.

Optimistically waiting for calguy's update on their decision, I'll busy myself with some fund-raising.  :)
Heribert

Post by Heribert »

I cannot understand your reasons of separation. But if you have to separate, you should do this in an ordered manor. If you had done so, the users of CMS MLE would not see a message like "The page you were looking for doesn't exist". I cannot believe that Alby has agreed to this.

A lot of people all over the world (not only in the USA)  like CMS but need multi language support. Alby and some others had done the job and many thanks for this!

You should reconsider your behaviour very carefully. I hope, that you will find a solution that will reflect the benefit of the users.
mel
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mel »

So what we should do now??? I took the decision to use MLE since almost 2 years as I didn't feel it was a "risky" thing, since 2.0 was announced to be multilingual and I was sure someone will write a script to change to it at that time... Now that it seems a native multilingual CMSMS will never happen, I see 2 possibilities:
1) switching to babel module. Does some MLE users already tried to convert their website to it? How it's comparable? How we can be sure this project will also not be discontinued or not maintened?
2) Restart from scratch with an other CMS. By the way, just by curiosity, I typed "CMS multilingual" in google and CMSMS was 4th. So I just hope the first three are good option...
But I feel very sorry and discouraged to waste all that time and effort in learning CMSMS to switch to something else...

Unfortunately, my website is now on "hold" until I decide something. So I'm very interested to read others MLE users experiences before I took my decision.
Thanks
Mel, a disappointed CMSMS user, maybe ex-user... 
Version 1.6-MLE
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

mel wrote: So what we should do now??? I took the decision to use MLE since almost 2 years as I didn't feel it was a "risky" thing, since 2.0 was announced to be multilingual and I was sure someone will write a script to change to it at that time... Now that it seems a native multilingual CMSMS will never happen, I see 2 possibilities:
1) switching to babel module. Does some MLE users already tried to convert their website to it? How it's comparable? How we can be sure this project will also not be discontinued or not maintened?
2) Restart from scratch with an other CMS. By the way, just by curiosity, I typed "CMS multilingual" in google and CMSMS was 4th. So I just hope the first three are good option...
But I feel very sorry and discouraged to waste all that time and effort in learning CMSMS to switch to something else...
1) Babel module is a solution, I implemented it there for example http://www.mosque.ch. There is a need there to have different content depending on language, it's the only multi-language case for which I needed else than MLE Fork. For editors I think Babel lacks the ability to edit a page, click on next language and go on with filling content. That's just what makes MLE Fork great.

2) I hope you/we won't have to do this, loosing MLE users would reduce CMSMS community, creativity, ... - MLE Dev might continue it's brilliant work.
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

mel wrote: since 2.0 was announced to be multilingual
You are wrong ... please make a look at the roadmap

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/development/roadmap/

2.2 will be multilingual.
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

cyberman wrote:
mel wrote: since 2.0 was announced to be multilingual
You are wrong ... please make a look at the roadmap

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/development/roadmap/

2.2 will be multilingual.
2.0 was announced to be multilingual in famous post CMSMS 2.0 (say what now?!)
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

@mel

same happened to me: I started 1 1/2 years ago. Decided for mle, too. No other system seems to have such a mle support. And I really can't understand that this is not the standard for CMSMS. But instead the developer is kicked out. Just because of silly trademark policy. ( My opinion).  Maybe I too will change to some other system. Where it doesn't look that someday some devs decide not to support this or that module and you're left behind just because you used it. I really like CMSMS up to now, but I'm very unsure about it at the moment.
moonoo
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by moonoo »

Would it be possible to get clarity on the whole trademark policy at all?

If anything was to happen to preserve a community of multililingual users/Devs using this Fork in whatever capacity in the future, it would be great to know on what grounds things aren't quite working, so appropriate steps could be made to avoid conflict and disputes with Core Dev Team and the wider community?

Return to “Announcements”