Separation of CMSMS MLE Fork from cmsmadesimple.org

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
trastevere

Re: Separation of CMSMS MLE Fork from cmsmadesimple.org

Post by trastevere »

Well it's sad.  :(

At some point I was thinking that Alby's MLE will be integrated to the core CMSMS as of the version 2.0. It's a great contribution.

There is life outside US as well, and most International sites needs multilingual features from a CMS engine. This is just a very basic functionality what you would expect from a CMS today. I remember, that it was almost a shock to me when I started using CMSMS and saw, that I need to use a third party module, or a fork  to have multilingual functionality. I would probably used another CMS for ten's of sites without the MLE contribution.

I hope that Alby will continue his great work on a new site, or the 2.0 version will come up very quickly, because it would be sad that this great CMS engine to start loosing International users.

While the decision of separation is totally understandable if the dev. team. have a different approach how to handle multilingual feature in upcoming releases, but I think the MLE forums  could have been left with read-only status.

So... waiting for Alby's new site, or the CMSMS version 2.0.
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

calguy1000 wrote: You are assuming that this 'package' was endorsed by and supported by us.   it never has been.
This makes no sense - what's about the hundreds of other modules and tags?

They are never supported or released by dev team too but the module devs can release it in forge and can give support here in forum.

In my opinion there's NO difference between MLE and the other 700 modules / tags!!!

You have only to make a clear message that's an unofficial fork, which is official not supported and use is for their own risk and who is responsible for the support.

But the better way would be CMSms has native MLE support which is promised since over 2 years now so an unofficial fork is not needed.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

All of the perfectly valid and significant reasons for our separation from the MLE fork were explained well over a year ago, in the first post of this thread.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
buhuhu
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by buhuhu »

why delete my post ?

because I post address for download MLE ?
raroman

Post by raroman »

I sense a great measure of antipathy and/or envy of the CMSMS developers towards the MLE fork. Yes, some of the reasons are understandable, but calguy, aren't you all overreacting?

My guess is that MLE has become a victim of its own success. Too many people obviously use it and post questions, bug reports and feature requests.
Very bugging to CMSMS developers to read every day when it's not their party.
And of course CMSMS is keen to come out with its very own multilanguage solution and it looks like it can tolerate no "competititor".

Makes me very sad to see this. I had just convinced my boss of sponsoring CMSMS for its work, which is truly outstanding. But petty fights like this make me wonder...

What you have to realise, calguy, is that everywhere outside the US, multilinugal support is not just a nice-to-have. Alby should be taken on your team, not shoved into the background!
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

I couldn't have said this better.
Thank you
Last edited by Cherry on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
axxe16

Post by axxe16 »

Cherry wrote: I couldn't have said this better.
Thank you
Holy words...
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

What you have to realise, calguy, is that everywhere outside the US, multilinugal support is not just a nice-to-have. Alby should be taken on your team, not shoved into the background!
I can only agree with this one and Rol'fs post in Tips&Tricks is nice move, but still for clients, endusers it was much easier to use that Language dropdown than "saving page going to another page editing the page for another language, saving it again searching for the correct page in third language, eiditing it again, saving it and so on and on"

In the Marketing Brochure you have "Alberto Benati / Developer, MLE-Version" listed as Dev Team, so can we expect MLE version in short time or is this from the time "oh we are ok with Alby and hes MLE version"?

Also if you look in this same Marketing Brochure you will see "Top Countries" that states:
Europe (Germany, Netherlands, UK, France) with 767 545 Visits vs United States with 349,232 Visits not to mention Canadians (that definately need MLE support) or other European countries that were not listed.

So at the end if there is no plan to make sort of easy MLE function i think CMSMS could loose many users, supporters and so on, at least i know for myself that i do not intend to do ML sites the way Rolf recommends since i need easier solution (for end users) so i have to look around on this one.

just my 2c!
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

I'm not getting into the argument. I am just going to state some facts.

1.) Alby is a member of the dev team and has been for quite awhile. Feel free to check the Team listing page
2.) It was discussed with Alby prior to the first announcement. He seemed ok with the decision and seemed to embrace it. Even mentioned he had his own plans for separation.
3.) Yes it is unfortunate major advances haven't been made in regards to this subject, but he has had his own issues to handle in his personal life. Remember this is unpaid and very often goes without thanks so be patient while he works on the more important things in his life.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

Well tymann00 than the post could of been posted in the way you described it, forum could of been kept as is or read only, latest version of mle could of been kept in the forge.

Maybe DEV team should concentrate in upcoming 2.0 version to get sort of MLE function working rather than anything else that was planed  ;)
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

uniqu3 wrote:
What you have to realise, calguy, is that everywhere outside the US, multilinugal support is not just a nice-to-have.
Also if you look in this same Marketing Brochure you will see "Top Countries" that states:
Europe (Germany, Netherlands, UK, France) with 767 545 Visits vs United States with 349,232 Visits not to mention Canadians (that definately need MLE support) or other European countries that were not listed.
I'm astonished to read these statistics, never saw them! They show a real success of CMS Made Simple in Europe, which is all compliments for CMSMS Dev Team, and they don't even take in account many Eastern and central countries of Europe (Switzerland = 4 official languages in 400 kilometers...). In those countries when a customer requests a CMS we tend more to ask him how many languages his site will have to present rather than IF he'd like a multilingual CMS!

As 2.0 should be natively multilingual (a promise from the famous "CMSMS 2.0 (say what now?!" - I re-read it entirely to be sure) and MLE Dev on his own issues, multilingual CMS users have to be patient. That's understood, as well as why this separation.

What I don't understand is that every MLE files, patches and forum posts SO USEFULL for SO MANY CMSMS users have been erased from this cool, nice, respectable, userfriendly and responsive forum and website.
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
map_1961
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by map_1961 »

4 thoose who wait for 2.0: at Geekmoot 2010 in Amsterdam i learned that multilingual function will not be integrated in version 2.0. At earliest in 2.2.
1.9 was announced for this year.
Regards

map_1961
map_1961
sleiron
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by sleiron »

Dear all,

I / we don't want to argue against or in favor of the devteam which is doing a really great work besides their day jobs - so thank you all who are *participating* in one way or the other to this project.

let me summarize:

- the discussion here clearly shows the need of a MLE Version of CMSMS for many who live in countries with more than one language and/or international clients (I live in Switzerland and we have 4 main languages)

- CMSMS got a lot of momentum this year with the new website, the geekmoot in Amsterdam (which I unfortunately could not attend) and the newly nomination and therefore exposure through the open source awards - this chance should be kept and the needs should be served.

- since a few days, the board/download for MLE is not available anymore and this is a real problem. We used it regularly for reference purposes or help. We built several sites for our clients and we need to support them, therefore we as integrators need some sort of a supporting website for MLE.

I like to make nails with heads, so:

I respect the decision of the devteam no to host 'MLE-related' stuff - and therefore would like to offer a hosting space for those in need of download possibility/reference needs.

Regardless the sparse time I have - I think this is an important contribution to the CMSMS community and the effort is worth it.

@ted / @calguy / @alby: can we sort this out together?

cheers
Sandro
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

I could give some help with this (Sleiron suggestion), I have a "suitable" domain name (cms-made-simple.ch) with a hosting for which I had projects but not realised so far - then I could host mle files, mle forum and/or whatever needed to have MLE up for the community.
Would it be an idea ?
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

raroman wrote: My guess is that MLE has become a victim of its own success. Too many people obviously use it and post questions, bug reports and feature requests.
And you should think about why MLE was developed!

It adds functionality for multilanguage to CMSms - a functionality, which other (big) CMS, they are compared with CMSms, have since some times.

It should be only a brigde between 1.x and 2.x for a short time - but we hear only about 2.x as a phantom, not usable results since over 2 years (not demo). Please make a look at the news history - a version higher than 1.2 was not planned in the past. Now 1.9 is in beta.

So you should be happy to have the engaged MLE dev team members, which take every new CMSms version and modify it for MLE. It's a lot of work - such developers shouldn't be scared. They wont fork CMSms for real, they wont to have his own name, homepage, or other things - they want make CMSms only better! And the big MLE user base speaks its own obviously language that there's a real need for MLE.

Maybe another way could be that MLE will be the new version 1.10 (based on 1.9) with an advanced API which support MLE for modules too (including examples, howtos and tutorials for module developers!)

Take the chance you have!

Return to “Announcements”