CMS Made Simple 2.0 (not 1.7) is in development

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
jce76350
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: CMS Made Simple 1.7 is in development

Post by jce76350 »

hi,
Microsoft Culture, he says, "writes software for the end user"
"writes software to earn more money" ;)
Jean-Claude Etiemble
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

calguy1000 wrote: Oh yeah, one more thing.... for our international users.

The NLS stuff in CMS 1.7 has been written and a couple of tags introduced that will make translation easier:

a) {set_language lang='xx_XX'}

b){set_language_auto allow='fr_FR,de_de,nl_NL'} 
   (optional params are:   'sticky=1'  and 'use_sticky=1'}
Is it something that will replace the functionality of the module Babel http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/babel ?  Or is it something completely different?
clerk

Post by clerk »

looking forward    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

Sonya wrote:

The NLS stuff in CMS 1.7 has been written and a couple of tags introduced that will make translation easier:

Is it something that will replace the functionality of the module Babel http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/babel ?  Or is it something completely different?
calguy1000 wrote: To All:
Due to a number of factors, the CMSMS development team has decided to discontinue any direct association to the CMSMS-MLE fork on the cmsmadesimple.org website, This will mean that the forum for questions relating to the MLE fork will be closed or disabled by the end of January, 2010, and that no further issues related to the MLE fork would be entertained on cmsmadesimple.org
Do you mean that CMS Made Simple core will handle multi languages natively ?

Will it be possible to migrate from CMSMS-MLE to CMSMS 1.7 or further version ?

I am looking forward to run this 1.7 version, my customer's sites running mle fork are concerned to know if their CMSMS will possibly continue to be updated.

Best regards
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

No.
No.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
clerk

Post by clerk »

quickly,coming soon>

:o :o :o :o :o :o
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

calguy1000 wrote:
No.
No.
I am not sure that keeping international users out of CMSMS by avoiding multilanguage function is very good for CMSMS. It seems that (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1256641 ... TopStories) non-roman languages like chinese or arab will soon have the opportunity to have their domain names in their letters. The CMS they'll choose will presumably support full international and multilanguage support.

There are not only big societies who needs multilanguage website, many europeen countries have more than one language and their small or medium societies do need multilanguage websites.

I think keeping CMSMS mono-language would be a weakness for the excellent tool it is at the moment.
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
Franck
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Franck »

Sonya wrote:

same question here : is it different ?
Connie

Re: CMS Made Simple 2.0 (not 1.7) is in development

Post by Connie »

I had the impression that Multi-Language-Functionality will be a a core function of CMSMS 2.0

If not you will miss a big chance! American-based developers please note that the world is not MONOLINGUAL and that we are really in need of that functionality.

I have some projects in the pipeline which NEED this and I tried to avoid MLE-Fork  (please forgive me but it sounds so difficult to use it and update CMSMS MLE), telling my clients "it will be... soon..."

So, this is bad to hear
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

Connie wrote: I had the impression that Multi-Language-Functionality will be a a core function of CMSMS 2.0
Connie, I had the same impression and I think it is correct - thought in a misty futur : Pecuria thank you for pointing me to Alby's post
MY final interest (and here I will conclude this project) will be porting from CMSMS MLE 1.X to CMSMS 2.X multilanguage (and I hope by the end of 2010)

An alternative if you want to avoid the MLE fork is to wait untill the end of 2010 or use Babel module http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/project/files/729.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

Multi-Lang is on the proposed roadmap but will not be an initial feature of 2.0. While there is no date set it could be quite some time till something starts arising. Currently the thoughts are seeing some multi-lang functionality in v2.2 but that could change.

We would absolutely love to release 2.0 with every feature that we want to include... but as shown in the past v2.0 just won't happen. It will continually be in development and take forever to get into beta and be released. With this process we can get a good base started with 2.0 where it will be tested heavily before and after release. Any necessary changes will be made and 2.x will progressively move forward adding features much like 1.x did

It is known many of you have been waiting (and waiting) for native Multi-lang functionality. It will come, but at the moment the changes coming for 2.0 are going to be useful for the very high majority of it's users and not a subset of the group. Essentially it will be better for everyone to start off with and then we can start targeting features that are going to be only used by smaller groups.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
Andiministrator

Post by Andiministrator »

That means, an Official Multilingual Support of CMSms will come not earlier than 2011, right?
If so, I need to switch my next planned projects to another CMS like Drupal.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

It's tough to say exactly when... and I may be corrected (which is welcome) but you are correct I wouldn't expect multi-lang in 2010.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

Andiministrator wrote: That means, an Official Multilingual Support of CMSms will come not earlier than 2011, right?
If so, I need to switch my next planned projects to another CMS like Drupal.
I am not sure what you are looking for? Did you try the module Babel? I managed to setup 2 multilingual websites with this module with ease. There are two approaches: hierarchy solution and additional content blocks. Even 3rd party modules can be easily configured this way. I am not sure what are exact the requirements for your multilingual websites, that you cannot solve it with Babel.

Return to “Announcements”