0.12 Release Delayed

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

0.12 Release Delayed

Post by Ted »

Hey Folks,

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but we've decided to delay the release of 0.12 by approximately a week.  Several factors are leading to this...

1. We've discovered a potentially serious issue with the module API.  Basically, the value named "id" that EVERY module relies has the ability of screwing up forms that are posted from PHP.  It seems to only happen with form inputs with [] in them (basically, multi-select boxes), but we're not totally sure it's limited to that.  Instead, I'm going to write a workaround to this (while retaining backwards compatibility) that will make the URLs a) prettier and b) work correctly in all cases.  This one thing will require a few days of regression testing with various modules before it can considered finished.

2. I'm going away for most of next week to San Francisco for work.  And I hate to release something right before I'm out of touch.  If this thing starts doing something bad, I want to be around to be able to help resolve it.  While 0.12 has been beta tested to death, it still hasn't been out there "in the wild" yet.

3. Westis is due back tomorrow (yay!).  Since he understands the menus more than anyone else at this point, I need him to help write up some documentation on transitioning from cssmenu and ellnav to the menu manager.  I'm also going to try and make sure cssmenu still works in 0.12, for those people that don't have to time to try to cut over to the new system.  I'm also going to ask him to write a simple example of the bulletmenu template so that people's heads don't spin when they try to write/modify a template on their own.

4. We're finding a few more little things that can be worked on (well, that'll always happen), so we're going to try and get those in before hand as well.

So, what does that mean?  It means we wait.  :)

However, it also means this...  If you have any little tweaks that you think 0.12 should have and won't either a) break the system or b) require more than 10-15 min of time to implement them, post them now.  The little things are easy to get in and don't require a ton of testing to make happen.

0.12 should be a nice solid release.  The people beta testing it seem to be pretty happy.  However, we're just trying to "dot our I's and cross our T's", so to speak and make sure it's as good as possible.

Expect a release closer to the end of next week.  I'm shooting for next Friday, but if I get home a little earlier, then possibly next Thursday.

Sorry for the delays and thanks for your patience!

--Ted
stopsatgreen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 0.12 Release Delayed

Post by stopsatgreen »

I'm not sure how long it would take, but I'd love to see pagination in the News module; both in the Admin section (I have over 60 news items and the page is starting to creak when it's loaded!) and in the display page.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

That, IMHO, would be a bigger thing  :)

I thin we whould postpone that for post 0.12
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

wishy wrote: 0.12 should be a nice solid release.
Will SQLite work for this ?
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

Patricia, I would release it but can't seem to get it to upload?
Error
FRSFile Name Should Be in This Example Format: gforge-3.0.tar.bz2
I havn't even started on the subversion yet! Seriously, this does seem an overly complicated procedure? I'm sure it could frighten off would-be-developers?

Do we have any links for what I'm suppossed to do with the subversion thing?

Russ
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

cyberman wrote: Will SQLite work for this ?
No, sqlite will not be there.  Unfortunately, I was having tons of issues with it.  Not so much connecting and executing the sql, but was having timeout issues and other things.  Until I can really sit down and figure out exactly where the problem is (in all my free time...),  I can't honestly release it and feel good about it.
LeisureLarry

Post by LeisureLarry »

It would be nice to have the possibility to install the cms without content, templates and css, in case you want to start right from the scratch.

Greats LeisureLarry
Caspar

Post by Caspar »

LeisureLarry wrote: It would be nice to have the possibility to install the cms without content, templates and css, in case you want to start right from the scratch.
doesn't that happen when you disable the checkbox for "install sample content" in step last of the installation?
LeisureLarry

Post by LeisureLarry »

No, this checkbox only reduces the content pages to one.
Waiter

Post by Waiter »

So today its friday and release day?  :)
Will the release be as planned or is it pushed forward to the next week? I was planning to use the weekend for setting up a 0.12 site
mustis

Post by mustis »

I'm also waiting, was thinking of test it out this weekend.

Hopefull....
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Not looking good.  We have most of the bugs fixed, but most of the dev team is tied up this weekend to really get crazy doing testing.  Right now the release date is ASAP, which is probably less than a week.
URAN

Post by URAN »

At this topic I was talking about Custom Meta Data - http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 424.0.html

At 0.12 version this feature is added.

But, at my opinion this feature as it is now at 0.12 is not great. It looks like it was made just to tick off. For beginner it could became even problem, cause beginner probably will type only keywords and description, without HTML meta tags

I do offer you to make some improments.

EASY WAY :

By default, apply this value for metadata input fields:

For GLOBAL METEDATA:

Code: Select all

<textarea>
*/Type your GLOBAL KEYWORDS between content="" commas.
<meta content="" name="keywords">

*/Type your GLOBAL DESCRIPTION between content="" commas.
<meta content="" name="description">
</textarea>
For CUSTOM METEDATA:

Code: Select all

<textarea>
*/Type your CUSTOM KEYWORDS between content="" commas.
<meta content="" name="keywords">

*/Type your CUSTOM DESCRIPTION between content="" commas.
<meta content="" name="description">
</textarea>
It would be great to have meta tags pretyped at the textfield.

BEST WAY:

Create separate input fields for keywords and description, and maybe others metadata, to people can input only TEXT, without meta data TAGS.

Thank you! :)
URAN

Post by URAN »

Also, something wrong with menu at Admin Pages:

Return to “Announcements”