CMSMS Forge Rewrite

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Vinz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: CMSMS Forge Rewrite

Post by Vinz »

how was they categorized in the previous version? this was hand-made? waw...
Anyway, this could be useful to everyone if module's and plugin's creator added a specific category tag while registering or updating their projects... And i can even give help to categorize existing projects if you need. Regarding reactions to this proposal, i realized i'm not the only one to find 'category search' useful and i'm pretty sure everybody could give a hand if needed ;)

PS: as i'm talking about the forge i think that the forge search form shouldn't replace the site search form, this is very confusing. It should be another one placed directly above the project list.
Last edited by Vinz on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Hello, Love that it's getting easier to do things in the forge, just one question. Should I really able to choose which developer is assigned to a Bug Report or Feature Request?  Just a thought.  Keep up the great work.

Cheers
jeremyBass
Vinz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Vinz »

fangji, you should read previous posts. I was talking about the previous organisation and the possibility to find back the option to browse modules & plugins by category like this :

* Calendars & Scheduling (11 projects)
    * Content & styling (39 projects)
    * E-commerce (6 projects)
    * Feedback & E-mail (8 projects)
    * Forums & Guestbooks (8 projects)
    * Galleries, Image & File Management (24 projects)
    * Menus & Navigation (9 projects)
    * Miscellaneous (27 projects)
    * Untested modules (7 projects)
    * Users & Permissions (11 projects)
    * Utilities (29 projects)
    * WYSIWYG Editors (9 projects)

not only if they are module or plugin... :)
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by loukote »

nhaack wrote: Isn't this the sort of thing you are looking for?...
Nils
Yes, exactly. Thanks for showing me.
Most of the modules do not have (use?) it. None of the modules in the "Latest releases" (as of 2009-03-03) has/use it. The core doesn't have it either (!) and there are release notes and changelogs for some of the versions. I'd vote for the tab is showed always, even if the module developers do not publish any -- it might stimulate them to write few lines.
Vinz wrote: ...possibility to find back the option to browse modules & plugins by category like this : ...
+1 for this request.

A comment on search & tags in the forge:
When a search word is submitted via the input on the top right of the forge page, in some cases a list is returned; in some other cases a result in the google i'm-feeling-lucky way is return (the user goes directly to the page/module). For example: "content" returns a list, "expand" leads you to a page (Glossary/FAQ). Glossary/FAQ has the word "expand" in the module-description but there are other modules that have this word in it's name and tag. There are other examples, it happens quite often.

List of the Latest File Releases:
A link to the history would be helpful (like last 100 or so). Regularly I go to the forge to see if any needed or important updates were released. Most of the time 5 entries is just enough. Yesterday, 5 or more modules have been released (thanks calguy and others, i've been awaiting the CGcalendar). In such cases, the a link to a longer release history would help.
_______
ADD:
BTW, the release notes for CMSMS 1.5.3 are here: http://blog.cmsmadesimple.org/2009/03/0 ... 3-arecibo/
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deak

Post by Deak »

^^^ Vinz has nailed it in his post.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

loukote wrote:
nhaack wrote: Isn't this the sort of thing you are looking for?...
Nils
Yes, exactly. Thanks for showing me.
Most of the modules do not have (use?) it. None of the modules in the "Latest releases" (as of 2009-03-03) has/use it. The core doesn't have it either (!) and there are release notes and changelogs for some of the versions. I'd vote for the tab is showed always, even if the module developers do not publish any -- it might stimulate them to write few lines.
Vinz wrote: ...possibility to find back the option to browse modules & plugins by category like this : ...
+1 for this request.

A comment on search & tags in the forge:
When a search word is submitted via the input on the top right of the forge page, in some cases a list is returned; in some other cases a result in the google i'm-feeling-lucky way is return (the user goes directly to the page/module). For example: "content" returns a list, "expand" leads you to a page (Glossary/FAQ). Glossary/FAQ has the word "expand" in the module-description but there are other modules that have this word in it's name and tag. There are other examples, it happens quite often.

A link to the history would be helpful (like last 100 or so). Regularly I go to the forge to see if any needed or important updates were released. Most of the time 5 entries is just enough. Yesterday, 5 or more modules have been released (thanks calguy and others, i've been awaiting the CGcalendar). In such cases, the a link to a longer release history would help.
_______
ADD:
BTW, the release notes for CMSMS 1.5.3 are here: http://blog.cmsmadesimple.org/2009/03/0 ... 3-arecibo/
The search does the "google - I'm feeling lucky" only when it finds one result that matches your search. If it finds 2 or more it will return the list... if it only finds one object that matches your search criteria it automatically displays it instead of making you click on the link. Consider it a feature.

As far as I can tell the complete file history is shown. If there are only 5 displayed, that means there has only been 5 file releases made or the author has deleted some of the others. This is not a fault of the Forge. Go to the CMS Made Simple core download page. You will see every file release in that page.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
KO
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by KO »

loukote wrote:

This is something that used be on forge but not anymore and I miss that also. so 1+ for that also.

tyman00: You are probably talking about list of previous module versions. Not Latest File Releases that is on right bottom on forge frontpage.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

KO, I see what you mean now. It came across as file releases for modules... since "Releases" is what they are called in the "Files" tab ;)

A longer list wouldn't be so bad, or a link to a page with the 100 releases like you said.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by loukote »

I typed "cg google maps" in the search input field in the forge. The search returned an empty set... (The actual name is "CGGoogleMaps".)
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

loukote wrote: I typed "cg google maps" in the search input field in the forge. The search returned an empty set... (The actual name is "CGGoogleMaps".)
And?
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

I think he's saying that the Forge search engine isn't particularly user-friendly.  Maybe this is a weakness of the engine, or maybe it's a weakness of how projects are named/tagged/etc.

For example, search in the Forge for "reservations".  It returns an empty list, even though there is a module called "Reservation".

Or search for "room".  The only results are Reservation and Objekte, even though the description of the Availability module includes the word "room".  Why doesn't Availability show up in the results list?

Same thing if I enter the word "car".  It does an "I'm feeling lucky" search and takes me right to the Rent-a-Car module, even though the Availability module description also includes the word "car".

I do miss the old categorized module list mentioned by Vince a few posts earlier...
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

That's the kind of response that should have been put in, thanks jmcgin.

I have to agree, it's not the strongest engine. I would assume it searches the name of the module and off of tags. The problem is it is hard to know the behavior of everyones searching habits. In the example that was given prior to my earlier response... it would hard to know that someone is going to separate three sections of a module name in to different words. That would be like me searching for "What is the meaning of life" and expecting it to return either the meaning of life or a module named "meaningOfLife"
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by loukote »

BTW, i typed "Calguys Google Maps", a string that i copied/pasted from the the admin > menu > Extensions > Calguys Google Maps. And the search returned an empty set.

I can see that I often run into problems when searching. So if you wish I can be test-person, just tell me.
Vinz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Vinz »

the idea of getting back the categories is a dead letter or somebody is thinking about it ? because in spite of the enhancements (that are really cool, indeed) it's still a pain in the ass to navigate through the modules unless you got a specific idea of what you're seaching...
Last edited by Vinz on Fri May 22, 2009 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Unfortunately there is no progress....

1)
how can newbies know the name of a module by heart to get them found?
Somebody who knows the name of a module / tag etc. can find them in the letter-list at the top, he does not need a search

2)
Mostly they need the projects in the Forge to find out what is available, so categories are needed absolutely

3)
no projects without any file should be listed in the forge, that is really bullshit. There are projects (search for MP3) for long time now in the forge which have no files, no progress, nothing
that is just disgusting

4)
projects which are published in the forge should show off in the translation center immediately

I am sure there are many more points concerning the user-unfriendliness of the FORGE, I whish it would be better

maybe somebody discusses this at the meeting GEEK MOT? I am no GEEK so I can't join there ;=)

Return to “Announcements”