CMSMS Forge Rewrite

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: CMSMS Forge Rewrite

Post by loukote »

I see my memory is not that bad. At least one good piece of news.

That yada yada was sometimes quite usefull. For example when saying: "this version is a complete rewrite, you need to save the data first and import it after upgrade since it will be deleted". You know, release notes...
________
ADD:
KO used the word that I've been missing: the "changelog"
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KO
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by KO »

This release note from developer in forge is something that I miss too. So some kind "Changelog" from that module would be nice to understand if it's bug release, security or some other release and what are the new features.
Signex

Post by Signex »

I Miss the Releases notes as well. For Example Formbuilder has been released like 3 times in 2 or 3 days, and you cant find anywhere what has been updated. There's no changelog shipping with the module, so you just update and pray alll goes well, but a simple release note in the Forge could change that, because develops would be able to leave a quick note about what's changed.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

You can find some info if you go to Code and then hit View Log...
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Module Manager - click on the 'about' link beside each row.
you can view the help and changelog for a module without downloading and installing it.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by loukote »

calguy1000 wrote: Module Manager - click on the 'about' link beside each row.
you can view the help and changelog for a module without downloading and installing it.
calguy: i don't get it: do you mean "that" module manager in the admin of any cmsms site? If yes, the modules have to be donloaded, uploaded (yes or not installed) so as i can see the "about" link. Well, i admit that it's better than nothing but the way to get there is kind of cumbersome...

mark: i've to be really tired ;) : i don't see any "view log" and i don't find it either (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22view+log%22+site%3Adev.cmsmadesimple.org)
Nullig
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Nullig »

You don't have to download anything in Module Manager. Just open Extensions/Module Manager and browse through the list of available modules. The "Help" and "About" links are available to view the information about the module, before you download/install it.

Nullig
nhaack

Post by nhaack »

Isn't this the sort of thing you are looking for? The tab is right next to the "Code" button at the very right on a project page (see attachment).

However, it seems to depend on whether the author has published a change log or not I guess. As such, I would go for the Module manager option...

Best
Nils
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
KO
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by KO »

I also noticed that release notes and changelog can be found in some cases in Forge under "Files" tab. I totally missed this one so maybe someone else has missed this too.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

KO wrote: I also noticed that release notes and changelog can be found in some cases in Forge under "Files" tab. I totally missed this one so maybe someone else has missed this too.
Actually, I just put that in on Saturday.  So any discussions about it above were correct.
Vinz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Vinz »

Hi, good work you've done here, as ever ;)
but i miss the categorized projects by theme. To discover new features for example, it was useful to browse through a category and find something you were not really searching precisely but that will enhance your website.
To do so now, i have to browse the whole forge or come here with a precise idea of what i'm searching...
You see what i mean ?
(english is not my first language, forgive me :) )
xXPiercedLogicXx

Post by xXPiercedLogicXx »

Vinz wrote: Hi, good work you've done here, as ever ;)
but i miss the categorized projects by theme. To discover new features for example, it was useful to browse through a category and find something you were not really searching precisely but that will enhance your website.
To do so now, i have to browse the whole forge or come here with a precise idea of what i'm searching...
You see what i mean ?
(english is not my first language, forgive me :) )
I agree with Vinz. There should at least be a way to sort by a category so one wouldn't have to go through 18 pages to find something. You're now way more likely to miss what you intend to find or just give up b/c you dont have time to sort through it all.
Vinz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Vinz »

ouhouh... Is there anybody here???? here here here <<< (Cave echo)
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Well, the problem is that 15 out of the 18 pages are going to either be "Module" or "Other".  Tags, on the other hand, allow for a more granular approach to what a proejct is supposed to do.  Of course, that means that the project has to be tagged and tagged correctly, but at least it's closer to what you need than the paging project list.

I'm not saying I can't put that in pretty easily, but I don't think it's going solve as many problems as you'd think.
duclet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by duclet »

True, but look at how many tags there are now. I personally think adding a broader scope (categories) would be beneficial.

Return to “Announcements”