Announcing CMS Made Simple v1.4 "Jamaica"

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Announcing CMS Made Simple v1.4 "Jamaica"

Post by calguy1000 »

Here it is, the latest and greatest.

Many people have donated hours of their valuable time to develop, design, manage and test this release, it is a real testament to the community that CMS has grown.  Lets keep it going people, great work by everybody involved.

Version 1.4-beta2 was downloaded over 450 times (not including language packs and checksum files).... and we had a relatively low amount of bugs reported, this is a fantastic thing.

Version 1.4 "Jamaica"
-----------------
- Includes a new system information page in the admin
  * Many thanks to Alby, and others
- Smarty now works as you would expect in the admin
  * Any new or rewritten pages in the admin are using this
  * This may break pisearch plugin, etc
- A completely new way of page template processing.
  * We split the template into three pieces
    a) Any text ontop of
    b) The section
    c) the rest of the template (the body)
  * We then process the top section through smarty, then the body, and finally the head.  Then we glue it back together.  This will allow variables set in page content or in various module templates to be used in the head section to effect such things as meta tags, and page titles.
  * A new text area in the options tab of content pages allows specifying page specific data (as opposed to putting page specific data into the metadata section of the page)
  * A new plugin {process_pagedata} processes the page specific data through
    smarty.  It should be at the very top of all page templates
  * On new install, all page templates have {process_pagedata} at the very top.
  * This may break sites that have used some of my tricks to
    change the page title based on news or other modules content
    so it will be off by default after release, and on for the beta
- Memory optimizations, and query optimizations: We've done a few checks, and improved a few things here and there that will provide a modest boost in performance.
  * FileManager is now an admin only module
  * nuSOAP is now an admin only module (for most sites).
  * more in memory caching
- Massive improvement in stylesheet handling: It is now possible to allow or deny browser stylesheet caching. Stylesheets are now re-orderable
- Updates to the admin menu structure: Main is now called CMS, and the logout and view site links are under there.
- Theme Improvements
  * Many thanks to Nuno
  * New icons for view site and logout
- Cleaned up and improved Module Manager.  It should be much faster and leaner now.
- Minor improvements to CMSMailer
- Improvements to the Installer
  * Many thanks to Alby
  * The installer is now fully translatable, so you can choose what
    language you want the installer pages to appear in
  * Many more checks have been added and re-organized to hopefully
    solve some of the issues people have with installation.
    - Safe mode is still a warning, however we do a required check to see if the httpd server process can create a file within a directory it created.  This should help track problems with safe mode enabled when php is running as an apache module (which we do not support).
- We now ship a full distribution as well as an english only version and several 'language packs'.
- NCleanGrey is now the default admin theme.
- you can now specify default text for additional content blocks in page templates.
- A new permission that controls access to the Tags page so that editors, etc. can see the help there.
- Add assign parameter to numerous plugins (including all module plugins)
- adds the image_url plugin (thanks Nuno)
- Now use a wysiwyg for the sitedown message and the custom404 message.
- Added the target option to the 'content' content type.
- A general review of security checks in admin methods (thanks Nuno)
- Modifications to the group permissions, and user creation forms makes managing users, groups, and permissions much simpler.
  * Many thanks to _SjG_
- Updates to the embed plugin
- Add three new page attributes to content, PageLink, Link, and SectionHeader content types
- Modify the menu manager to export the new page attributes.  This will be useful for permissions, or meta data or other tags.
- FileManager gained recursive chmodding, custom sorting and saner permission handling in windows
- Printing updated to latest TCPDF release 4.0 including rewritten html rendering code
- TinyMCE got updated and some css-related issues were fixed
- Search Improvements
  * Minor performance tweaks to Search Re-indexing
  * Now escape any characters that have special importance in regular expressions before performing the search
  * Restore the template to it's pre-1.5 behavior whils till retaining the new functionality.
- Now remind the user to configure their mail settings
- A new admin function to check the current install against either a release-generated checksum file or a previously downloaded checksum file.  This will help to find upload errors, or to find files that have been modified since the last known good state, to aid in detecting hacks.
- News has had minor tweaks
  * Now handle the old pretty urls as well as the new ones
    i.e;  News// will work just as well as
          News///
  * A new icon for rss feeds
- Though it's not really a 1.4 issue, the Translation center has been fixed (many many thanks to the regex guro _SjG_) so that links will work in translated files.  We essentially translate all quotes inside of tags to a special string, then do the html entity stuff, then translate that special string back to quotes.  Translators need to go through and update ALL translations.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
theothersimon
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Announcing CMS Made Simple v1.4 "Jamaica"

Post by theothersimon »

I just wanted to say a big thank you for all your hard work on this. It is much appreciated, really.
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

ditto. i like how logging into the admin gives a heads up of the new version too. cool.  8)
Take a penny, leave a penny.
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

very nice, dev team!!!!!!
moorezilla

Post by moorezilla »

Official WOOT!
docomo
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by docomo »

The improvements in this release sound great, can't wait to upgrade!

Got a question for you -
As page templates are now broken up into 3 sections, after upgrade do I need to reformat my templates into the 3 sections before it works correctly.

Michael
viebig

Post by viebig »

docomo wrote: The improvements in this release sound great, can't wait to upgrade!

Got a question for you -
As page templates are now broken up into 3 sections, after upgrade do I need to reformat my templates into the 3 sections before it works correctly.

Michael
Not at all, it´s not enabled for upgraded sites, all things look and work like before
Jean le Chauve

Post by Jean le Chauve »

Thank you for your great job.
christiaans
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by christiaans »

Awesome, definitely updating all my sites with 1.4 asap. Thanks Ted, calguy and all the other developers!
docomo
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by docomo »

Thanks for that viebig, and thanks to all the developers who worked on this release!
alby

Post by alby »

Lexus wrote: It's great! Upgrading from 1.4-beta2, just copying the new files over this beta?
Yes

Alby
stopsatgreen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by stopsatgreen »

Have just found a rather large problem with one of my installs; {stylesheet name='Name'} no longer works. Have tried a number of different tests, so far to no avail; it's just stopped working since upgrading to 1.4.
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

Guys,

Couple things, I just upgraded a site from 1.3.1 to 1.4

1. Using TinyMCE, when linking to an uploaded file from the file manager it creates the url as: /www.site.com/uploads/...
and so this creates an incorrect and broken link. I have 'Generate relative urls' checked in my settings.

2. I noticed that the packages still have the poslet folder and files in: modules/FileManager/postlet but they don't seem necessary. Are they still needed?

Thanks.
Take a penny, leave a penny.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

mikeim,

AFAIK, for point 2.

Theseare inactive files, as for the security release that was done earlier, it was required to overwrite the file with logic, with a dummy-file, because people upgrading, would otherwise remain with the vulnerable files....

Ronny
Nick Smart
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Nick Smart »

stopsatgreen wrote: Have just found a rather large problem with one of my installs; {stylesheet name='Name'} no longer works. Have tried a number of different tests, so far to no avail; it's just stopped working since upgrading to 1.4.
I've just had exactly the same thing. I tried re-unpacking the install, attaching and de-attaching the stylesheet, playing with the config options - process_whole_template and old_stylesheet - to no-avail. In the end I just chaged the template to say {stylesheet}, making sure the style was linked to the template, and it worked fine.

Nick

Return to “Announcements”