Announcing CMS Made Simple 1.4-beta2

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Announcing CMS Made Simple 1.4-beta2

Post by calguy1000 »

Here it is…. This beta should encompass most of the bugs or issues found in the first beta, and a few more even.

We’ve also cleaned up the Search module a bit, added some enhancements to assist people in dealing with the new template processing order, and tweaked the installer some more.

I expect this beta to last for about a week (or maybe till the 2nd of August). And I hope that this beta will be the last one in the 1.4 series. Then we can focus on 2.0 work for a while.

The first beta was downloaded in excess of 200 times (not including language packs or checksum files)… and I would really like for this beta to meet or exceed that total. The community has been doing great work with testing here, please keep up the good work.

I’d like to also thank the members of the dev team and the community that have put in considerable time in developing, testing, finding bugs, confirming them, then testing, and confirming the fixes, and sometimes even fixing the bugs themselves….. The community we have is growing stronger by the day, and everybody benefits from the active participation that these people give.

I’d like to thank these people (and I hope I didn’t leave anybody out, because this release has had contributions from a large amount of people.):
RonnyK, Reneh, Nuno, Silmilariion, Alby, _SjG_, tyman000, Cyberman, and of course Ted.

Now, another important note: A long standing issue with links in translatable strings appears to have been solved (many thanks to _SjG_)…. this means that people will have to go through and review all of their translations, and update any strings that have links in them… please, make the effort to go through everything in the core, CMSInstaller, and any core modules.

I still would not recommend using this beta (just because it is beta) on a production site, but if you are in the middle of a development project, or starting a new site… please feel free to use the beta. We are in feature cutoff (we have been since the first beta came out)… and plan that the changes from this point forward will be minimal.

Of course, you can download the files from http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/frs/?group_id=6

Again, thanks to everybody…. what a fantastic community this is.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
moorezilla

Re: Announcing CMS Made Simple 1.4-beta2

Post by moorezilla »

Nice! Thanks1

Quick question:

Is "base" now the "lite" version?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Yup....
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

For clarity, here's the complete list of what has been changed since 1.3.1 (including the 1.4-beta1)

Version 1.4-beta1 "Jamaica"
-----------------
- Includes a new system information page in the admin
  * Many thanks to Alby, and others
- Smarty now works as you would expect in the admin
  * Any new or rewritten pages in the admin are using this
  * This may break pisearch plugin, etc
- A completely new way of page template processing.
  * We split the template into three pieces
    a) Any text ontop of
    b) The section
    c) the rest of the template (the body)
  * We then process the top section through smarty, then the body, and finally the head.  Then we glue it back together.  This will allow variables set in page content or in various module templates to be used in the head section to effect such things as meta tags, and page titles.
  * A new text area in the options tab of content pages allows specifying page specific data (as opposed to putting page specific data into the metadata section of the page)
  * A new plugin {process_pagedata} processes the page specific data through
    smarty.  It should be at the very top of all page templates
  * On new install, all page templates have {process_pagedata} at the very top.
  * This may break sites that have used some of my tricks to
    change the page title based on news or other modules content
    so it will be off by default after release, and on for the beta
- Memory optimizations, and query optimizations: We've done a few checks, and improved a few things here and there that will provide a modest boost in performance.
  * FileManager is now an admin only module
  * nuSOAP is now an admin only module (for most sites).
  * more in memory caching
- Massive improvement in stylesheet handling: It is now possible to allow or deny browser stylesheet caching. Stylesheets are now re-orderable
- Updates to the admin menu structure: Main is now called CMS, and the logout and view site links are under there.
- Theme Improvements
  * Many thanks to Nuno
  * New icons for view site and logout
- Cleaned up and improved Module Manager.  It should be much faster and leaner now.
- Minor improvements to CMSMailer
- Improvements to the Installer
  * Many thanks to Alby
  * The installer is now fully translatable, so you can choose what
    language you want the installer pages to appear in
  * Many more checks have been added and re-organized to hopefully
    solve some of the issues people have with installation.
    - Safe mode is still a warning, however we do a required check to see if the httpd server process can create a file within a directory it created.  This should help track problems with safe mode enabled when php is running as an apache module (which we do not support).
- We now ship a full distribution as well as an english only version and several 'language packs'.
- NCleanGrey is now the default admin theme.
- you can now specify default text for additional content blocks in page templates.
- A new permission that controls access to the Tags page so that editors, etc. can see the help there.
- Add assign parameter to numerous plugins (including all module plugins)
- adds the image_url plugin (thanks Nuno)
- Now use a wysiwyg for the sitedown message and the custom404 message.
- Added the target option to the 'content' content type.
- A general review of security checks in admin methods (thanks Nuno)
- Modifications to the group permissions, and user creation forms makes managing users, groups, and permissions much simpler.
  * Many thanks to _SjG_
- Updates to the embed plugin
- Add three new page attributes to content, PageLink, Link, and SectionHeader content types
- Modify the menu manager to export the new page attributes.  This will be useful for permissions, or meta data or other tags.
- FileManager gained recursive chmodding, custom sorting and saner permission handling in windows
- Printing updated to latest TCPDF release 4.0 including rewritten html rendering code
- TinyMCE got updated and some css-related issues were fixed
- Search Improvements
  * Minor performance tweaks to Search Re-indexing
  * Now escape any characters that have special importance in regular expressions before performing the search
  * Restore the template to it's pre-1.5 behavior whils till retaining the new functionality.
- Now remind the user to configure their mail settings
- A new admin function to check the current install against either a release-generated checksum file or a previously downloaded checksum file.  This will help to find upload errors, or to find files that have been modified since the last known good state, to aid in detecting hacks.
- News has had minor tweaks
  * Now handle the old pretty urls as well as the new ones
    i.e;  News// will work just as well as
          News///
  * A new icon for rss feeds
- Though it's not really a 1.4 issue, the Translation center has been fixed (many many thanks to the regex guro _SjG_) so that links will work in translated files.  We essentially translate all quotes inside of tags to a special string, then do the html entity stuff, then translate that special string back to quotes.  Translators need to go through and update ALL translations.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
moorezilla

Post by moorezilla »

So far so good. Overwrote all of the beta1 files with the beta2 files and everything seems to be working so far!

Great work!
Nullig
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Nullig »

There is a typo in the "Layout: Top menu + 2 columns" stylesheet for the content div.

It reads:

Code: Select all

ndiv#content {
   margin: 1.5em auto 2em 0; /* some air above and under menu and content */
}
and it should be:

div#content {
}
Nullig
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

It's great :) I love the new theme  ;D

The system information page is wonderfull. Maybe it's an option to delete the Log out option in the Homepage dropdown in User Preferences?? If someone check this thing he never can login again :) you know what i mean?
Maybe it's something small but just in case :)

Great work for all those people that are working on this great CMS. It's the best out there!

Question:
When you update to this version is it neccesary to put this code: {process_pagedata} right on top of every template?
Last edited by MichaelK on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

CMS 1.4 is in feature cutoff..  we aren't introducing any new features at this point because we want to release the final version, keep it out of a perpetual beta-cycle,  and try to focus on the 2.0 release for a while.

We could keep going on 1.x forever, adding features, and fixing long standing issues, but that takes away from develeopment on 2.0 (where many of the long standing issues are already fixed)....

I'm not saying that 1.x is going to die any time soon, but It certainly isn't going to be our primary effort for a while, other than critical bug fixes, and enhancements that we deem a priority to a vast majority of the people using the package.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
nuno

Post by nuno »

Nullig wrote: There is a typo in the "Layout: Top menu + 2 columns" stylesheet for the content div.

It reads:

ndiv#content {
}
and it should be:

div#content {
}
Nullig
Fixed thanks
Nuno
GDS
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by GDS »

CSS error after upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.4-beta2:

CSS is not showing up for all pages in Internet Explorer.
(Opera seems to work fine)

The CSS output looks like:

After unchecking "all" for the stylesheet, the style will show up correct in the browser,
with new CSS like this:

GDS
nuno

Post by nuno »

Nullig wrote: There is a typo in the "Layout: Top menu + 2 columns" stylesheet for the content div.

It reads:

ndiv#content {
}
and it should be:

div#content {
}
Nullig
More reports Nullig?

And thanks to all for the feedbacks on 1.4b2 in General

Nuno
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

Guys,

I've installed 1.4beta2 and in my testing I found that:

- An editor can upload a file via the File Manager but is NOT able to delete files and CANNOT create a new directory. I realize this is because you must allow "Advanced usage of the the File Manager module" but can we give them a simple js browser message saying so to avoid confusion

- Also, when logging in as an editor that has UDT permissions, I get a "permission denied" message when trying to access

Hope that helps.
Take a penny, leave a penny.
nuno

Post by nuno »

mikeim wrote: Guys,
- Also, when logging in as an editor that has UDT permissions, I get a "permission denied" message when trying to access
fixed in svn
mikeim wrote: Hope that helps. 

Thanks
Nuno
Last edited by nuno on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Hi,

Installed 1.4-beta2 no problems., apart from TinyMCE 2.4.3 not showing in text area. Uninstalled then reinstalled TinyMCE from Module Manager and all worked ok.

PHP & Server info from System info below.

PHP Information          :

PHP Safe Mode (safe_mode):         Off  (False)

Current PHP Version      5.2.6 
                                              (phpversion):

PHP Effective Memory Limit       32M   
                                           (memory_limit):

Maximum Execution Time        30 

(max_execution_time):

GD version (gd_version):      2 

Session Save Path     /tmp   (0777)
                                     (session_save_path):

Maximum Post Size      8M   

(post_max_size):

Maximum Upload Size       8M   
                                    (upload_max_filesize):

Server Information           :

Server API (server_api):     apache2handler     

Server Database     MySQL (mysql)     
                                        (server_db_type):

Server Database Version      4.0.24   
                                      (server_db_version):

Server Software     Apache/2.2.8     
                                        (server_software):

Server Operating System       Linux 2.6.25.10-47.fc8 On i686         
                                               (server_os):

Thanks for all your efforts, I've tried out most of the CMS systems out there, open source and commercial and CMSMS is the best. It's simple and logical.

Looking forward to V2

Andy
stopsatgreen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by stopsatgreen »

CMS 1.4 is in feature cutoff..  we aren't introducing any new features at this point because we want to release the final version, keep it out of a perpetual beta-cycle,  and try to focus on the 2.0 release for a while.
In my own view, I think the 1.x branch is about as feature complete as it needs to be, and I look forward to seeing what the 2.x release will be capable of. I'd like to see some of the key (most-downloaded) modules brought up to 1.0 status now, which I think will be more helpful than changes to the core; I'm talking specifically about Album, Calendar, Cataloger, and Form Builder, all of which (I feel) are very close to 1.0 releases. I think this would give the impression of stability and maturity to potential CMSMS users.

Return to “Announcements”