1.4?? already?

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 1.4?? already?

Post by kermit »

calguy1000 wrote: @ZYV
So the first thing I do after downloading a package is to delete unneeded languages (OK, this should not be done because we all have different needs), then delete ADO SQL plugins for whatever except mySQL 4+, then remove documentation, samples and plugins for all core libraries and finally changing all permissions to 644 (rw-r-r-, right?) and throwing .htaccess with deny from all all over the place like in plugins folder etc.
Can you paste the .htaccess file you use here, so I can take a look at it... we may just do that too.
it'd just be a slight modification to my create release script.
i think he's referring to something like this...

Code: Select all

<Files *>
deny from all
</Files>
<Files ~ "\.(gif|jpe?g|png|pdf|js|css|txt|zip)$">
allow from all
</Files>
placed in every first-level subdirectory (./lib, ./modules, ./plugins, etc)  off the cmsms root (except ./admin, as php would need to be added as an allowed type and that would then cover just about everything in there anyway)... allowed files/types may need some tweaking but you get the idea..
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
ZYV
Language Partners
Language Partners

Post by ZYV »

You right; that was exactly what I was talking about. Have a look at what resulted our IRC discussion today: http://svn.cmsmadesimple.org/svn/cmsmad ... hes/1.2.x/ . The main problem is that actually php stuff *might* get called from lib & modules although it shouldn't.
unsigned double ZYV;
tinhat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by tinhat »

cyberman wrote:
tinhat wrote: Is there any where we can submit code patches for consideration? If yes, is there any documentation?
http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/docman/vie ... isesvn.htm
http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 712.0.html
Thanks
Maki
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Maki »

mark wrote: If you never use the internal stylesheet mechanism how do you edit your stylesheets?...

If you are doing it by FTPing them back and forth isn't that kind of slow?...
I can't speak for Russ but no, it isn't. Once the site layout is done, you never touch the CSS again until the next restyling. I don't see the point in querying a database to get a static file.
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by kermit »

Maki wrote:
mark wrote: If you never use the internal stylesheet mechanism how do you edit your stylesheets?...

I can't speak for Russ but no, it isn't. Once the site layout is done, you never touch the CSS again until the next restyling. I don't see the point in querying a database to get a static file.
that's where static_stylesheet tag comes in.. flexibility of back-end editing, with the speed of static files. ;)
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

and that's where the mechanism in 1.4 handles both cases.

My current mechanism allows them to be stored in the database, AND cached on the browser.... and due to the max-age mechanism (I'm still not stuck on this)... the browser won't even try to request the stylesheets until the max age is up.

caching the CSS in files is one way to handle things, but doesn't allow for dynamics like smarty processing, which I hope to be able to think about down the road.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Russ »

As Maki says, no not really Mark. I develop locally and use TextMate as an editor for the whole of the site, CSS, JS, PHP etc.
It works very well for me - you create the whole site as a project in TextMate and you're off ;-) I don't do much editing when it's all up and running, but can use Transmit (sftp/ftp) and TextMate together to click and edit and save.

For an example of the style switcher idea and loading different stuff depending on what 'style' people view, check out:

http://www.weddingsandportraitphotography.co.uk/

1. Goto a page with pictures - try Weddings and view an image - also check the source code - keep the source code open.
2, Change the site to the 'Mobile/pPDA' style and then view the image again - no fancy Javascript and now check the source code. Lots of stuff has been left out ;-)
** If your are using Firefox 3 beta the source code doesn't appear to change, a bug it would seem!!

It would be hard to do this with sytle sheets alone, but PHP, Smarty and templates and you can.

Russ
faglork

Post by faglork »

mark wrote: Russ

If you never use the internal stylesheet mechanism how do you edit your stylesheets?...

I am not Russ  ;) but I work in the same way.

No, actually, it is MUCH faster. I edit my static CSS *live* in the browser window via the "web developer extension" for Firefox. When it is ok, I hit "save" and transfer it via FTP. Bingo.

Since there is no way of combining the realtime capabilities of the web dev ext with the internal style sheet management it would actually be slower: First identifing the style sheet where the code sits, then calling up the stylesheet, then manually copying/overwriting the styles in question, then saving, then reloading to check ...

cheers,
Alex
Augustas
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Augustas »

faglork wrote: Since there is no way of combining the realtime capabilities of the web dev ext with the internal style sheet management it would actually be slower
Template Externalizer module helps me a lot when I am developing a website.
Check it out:
http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/externalizer/
http://FollowTheRoad.com/ - living on the road...
http://www.kligys.com/ - asmeninis blog'as...
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: 1.4?? already? - What's in 1.4

Post by calguy1000 »

Here's a description of what's in 1.4 already:

Version 1.4-beta1 "Jamaica"
-----------------
- Includes a new system information page in the admin
- Smarty now works as you would expect in the admin
  (though not much other than modules is using it.)
  (this may break pisearch plugin, etc)
- A completely new way of template processing.
  We split the template into three pieces
    a) Any text ontop of
    b) The section
    c) the rest of the template (the body)
  We then process the top section through smarty, then the body, and finall
  the head.  Then we glue it back together.
- Memory optimizations, and query optimizations
  (We've done a few checks, and improved a few things here and there
  that will provide a modest boost in performance.)
  - FileManager is now an admin only module
  - nuSOAP is now an admin only module (for most sites).
  - more in memory caching
- Massive improvement in stylesheet handling
  (it's now possible to allow or deny browser stylesheet caching)
  (stylesheets are now re-orderable)
- Updates to the admin menu structure
  (Main is now called CMS, and the logout and view site links are under there)
- Theme Improvements
  - Many thanks to Nuno
  - New icons for view site and logout
- Cleaned up and improved Module Manager
  It should be much faster now.
- Improvements to CMSMailer
- Improvements to the Installer
  - Many thanks to Alby
  - The installer is now fully translatable, so you can choose what
    language you want the installer pages to appear in
  - Many more checks have been added and re-organized to hopefully
    solve some of the issues people have with installation.
- We now ship a full distribution as well as an english only version
  and several 'language packs'.
- NCleanGrey is now the default admin theme.
- you can now specify default text for additional content blocks in page
  templates.
- A new permission that controls access to the Tags page so that
  editors, etc. can see the help there.
- Add assign parameter to numerous plugins (including all module plugins)
- adds the image_url plugin (thanks Nuno)
- Now use a wysiwyg for the sitedown message and the custom404 message.
- Added the target option to the 'content' content type.
- A general review of security checks in admin methods (thanks Nuno)
- Modifications to the group permissions, and user creation forms
  makes managing users, groups, and permissions much simpler.
  - Many thanks to _SjG_

I think now we'll just wait for the Translators to catch up, and for a system script to be written to allow us to easily make a release and we're ready for beta.  I don't think much more is going to go into 1.4, though I may be wrong.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

Any idea yet for a release date? Maybe next week? :) ;)
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

No there will be a considerable beta period for this.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
ZYV
Language Partners
Language Partners

Post by ZYV »

Heh, I am getting tired of endless upgrading :) longer beta period = better :)
unsigned double ZYV;
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

yeah, endless upgrading sucks...

but in the second breath, people ask for features (sometimes even the same people that complain about upgrading).

but I can promise you this.

I won't be in any hurry for a 1.5 release... I'm going back to 2.0 work.

I just won't ignore the 1.x stuff.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
ZYV
Language Partners
Language Partners

Post by ZYV »

No problem here, actually it was a bit of a joke, so don't take it personally  :) I was just thinking that longer release cycle for stable branch would mean that the users will find more bugs and more security issues will be discovered during beta period, so the result will be actually quite stable and users might want to stick to it for quite some time, until some more security issues pop out.

I have upgraded some of the sites I can upgrade to 1.3.1, but I am a bit hesitant of upgrading one 1.2.5 site (got postlet removed manually so apparently no risk involved), because it turns out that FCKEditor to which the client is used to does not work with Nuno's theme and 1.3.1. This need some more testing however. I wish someone could take time and upgrade the module to the latest FCK and CMSMS because is works so great and generates a valid indented XHTML :)
unsigned double ZYV;

Return to “Announcements”