Recent hacks and vulnerabilities

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Recent hacks and vulnerabilities

Post by calguy1000 »

Recently, numerous people have been posting numerous threads about being hacked, or getting errors in their admin section, or having strange 16 character messages displayed on their screens etc.

Though we haven't researched ALL of these hacks, we have researched a few, and it seems that some group of people is searching for vulnerable CMS Made Simple websites.  That is websites that have not upgraded to take advantage of the latest security fixes.

If you are experiencing these problems here are the steps you must take:

1) Completely delete all database tables used by CMS Made Simple
2) Completely delete all files and directories in your CMS Made Simple installation
3) Completely restore all files and database from a backup that is 'known good'.
4) Change ALL of your CMS Made Simple passwords
5) Upgrade to CMS 1.2.5 ASAP.

Additionally, a safe bet would be to change your database password, or to use another database.

This is because this vulnerability seems to have been exploited in numerous ways, and there is no way of telling exactly what the hacker has done to your system.... and after numerous hours of investigating you still may have to do a complete restore.

CMS 1.2.5 was released on May 12... and we are still getting new reports of people being hacked.  This is because people aren't upgrading their CMS installs.

Upgrading your CMS install is your responsibility, and you should do it whenever a new release comes out, particularly if that release is to fix a security problem or a vulnerability.  We cannot help you with hacked sites, etc. if you're running a version of the system that is months or years old.  Additionally, we cannot and will not answer support requests for ancient versions.

There is a mailing list available to notify you of new versions of CMS Made simple so that you don't have to visit the forums every day, I recommend everybody join it.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
cyberman

Re: Recent hacks and vulnerabilities

Post by cyberman »

calguy1000 wrote: CMS 1.2.5 was released on May 12... and we are still getting new reports of people being hacked.  This is because people aren't upgrading their CMS installs.
Maybe we should help our users with a (RSS powered) red warning/information inside admin panel like SMF it has ...
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

this is doable, but I don't think it'd be as effective as you think.

CMS is mostly used by developers to roll out websites for other customers..... once the site is rolled out, often the developer doesn't login to the admin panel very often.

The announce list is the best way to handle this I think.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
pb
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pb »

What about the people with the latest 1.2.5 version and be hacked ?

http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... .html    Version 1.2.5

http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... .html  Version 1.2.5
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

These sites existed before 1.2.5 came out, and were hacked before the upgrade to CMS 1.2.5
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
Maki
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Maki »

calguy1000 wrote: There is a mailing list available to notify you of new versions of CMS Made simple so that you don't have to visit the forums every day, I recommend everybody join it.
Since a new release is incoming, what about putting a page about security (with a link to the mailing list and the security tips on the wiki/forums) in the default content? Or, even better, show it during the install process? It would probably make people more aware of this problems and the need to keep things up to date.

A dedicated RSS feed for important announces IMHO would be a great idea, mailing lists are a hassle in a number of ways. I mean something outside the admin panel.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

a) there is a page called 'mailing lists' under the 'support' menu above
b) there is an rss feed on blog.cmsmadesimple.org
c) if a link was shown during the intall process, maybe 5% of people would see it, and 5% of those would even remember to link to it, it'd be more effort than it's worth
d) please help and contribute to the site and the package... we'd appreciate the help.  you have lots of great ideas, can you spare some time?
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

calguy1000 wrote: CMS is mostly used by developers to roll out websites for other customers..... once the site is rolled out, often the developer doesn't login to the admin panel very often.
Maybe the customers are cannier and make a request to the developer if they get a red warning about security risks ::) ...

And there could be problems powered by contract too if the customer book only a CMS website and not the service thereafter.

And requests are good for developer to make money ;D.
Maki
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Maki »

calguy1000 wrote: a) there is a page called 'mailing lists' under the 'support' menu above
b) there is an rss feed on blog.cmsmadesimple.org
I know. While I believe that the term "blog" can be misleading for most people (that expect a different kind of content) it is true that 90% of the posts are just announcements of new releases. I just proposed to make this resources more evident to those that install CMSms for the first time.
calguy1000 wrote: c) if a link was shown during the intall process, maybe 5% of people would see it, and 5% of those would even remember to link to it, it'd be more effort than it's worth
If I make a proportion between the number of downloads and the number of people that have read this thread (or the forum in general) we are way below 5%. But it still is a worthwile thread.
calguy1000 wrote: d) please help and contribute to the site and the package... we'd appreciate the help.  you have lots of great ideas, can you spare some time?
Actually no, I don't have any spare time. I'm posting while having a sandwich at work, but this should change after summer... I hope.

Anyway there isn't really a lot to do. Just put a paragraph like this, with some evidence, in the first page of the default content and be done (note that half of that is from your post):

About security.
We do our best to write secure software, but bugs are always possible. Security fixes are realeased as soon as they are available, and it is important to upgrade. Upgrading your CMS install is your responsibility, and you should do it whenever a new release comes out, particularly if that release is to fix a security problem or a vulnerability.   We cannot help you with hacked sites, etc. if you're running a version of the system that is months or years old.

There is a mailing list available to notify you of new versions of CMS Made simple at http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/support/mailing-lists so that you don't have to visit the forums every day, we recommend everybody join it. Or you can subscribe to the low trafic blog at http://blog.cmsmadesimple.org/

It would also be wise to follow the tips and guidelines outlined in the forum thread http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php/topic,19660.0.html to make your server and CMSms installation even more robust.

If someone knowledgeable has the time to do it, a wiki page could be extracted from the linked thread (I wrongly remembered that it was already done) and/or incorporated in the default content. However I'm not sure if eventually it would be any good, linking a "live" source is probably better to keep things up to date an prevent content replication.
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

A couple things I've noticed that may be contradictory to security advice given vs the default install of CMSMS:

1. It's advised that you NOT make your admin username/login public. However, it is shown by default in the news templates - 'posted by:..."

2. It's advised that you NOT make the CMSMS version you're running public. However, this is a default in the footer of the install. Maybe it would be best to change: This site is powered by CMS Made Simple version 1.2.5
to: This site is powered by CMS Made Simple

3. Perhaps this recommended htaccess file: http://wiki.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php ... tings  should replace the default htaccess.txt file in the default install.

Just some suggestions. Thx.
Take a penny, leave a penny.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

mikeiam wrote: A couple things I've noticed that may be contradictory to security advice given vs the default install of CMSMS:

1. It's advised that you NOT make your admin username/login public. However, it is shown by default in the news templates - 'posted by:..."
The news templates are just examples, you're encouraged to change them.
2. It's advised that you NOT make the CMSMS version you're running public. However, this is a default in the footer of the install. Maybe it would be best to change: This site is powered by CMS Made Simple version 1.2.5
to: This site is powered by CMS Made Simple
You're supposed to delete the install directory after installation, and it's useful during installation to be able to see the version.

3. Perhaps this recommended htaccess file: http://wiki.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php ... tings  should replace the default htaccess.txt file in the default install.

Just some suggestions. Thx.
[/quote]
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
xmas3
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by xmas3 »

Hi all,
I am not sure where to post it.
Last week a few of my sites based on CMS MS 1.2.x were hacked.
My provider found an r57shell script in upload folder (as config.inc.php) and it looks that this script
is used for accessing the server and hacking the CMS.
I can send you the script if needed. Im convinced that you know about that, but I just wanted to be sure!
Of course, I upgraded all my websites to 1.3.1 and followed the security how-to for improving the security of my
websites.

Thanks, By Miro
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

Have you deleted /postlet folder (inside FileManager folder)?

Java postlet is never supported yet ...  in cause of some security problems.
xmas3
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by xmas3 »

Hi,
yes, I found postlet folder. But this folder is included in an official 131 MLE package. Why?

I found also another 2 files

action.postletupload.php
postletupload.php

in FileManager folder.

Should I delete them too?

Thanks, Miro
Last edited by xmas3 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

Hmm, maybe a mistake on creating archive - will contact Robert/Ted.

Yes, you should delete them ...

Return to “Announcements”