Wanted: Somebody to make a wink video of a CMS Made Simple Install

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Wanted: Somebody to make a wink video of a CMS Made Simple Install

Post by calguy1000 »

I'm looking for somebody to make a video using 'wink', or some other similar tool about installing CMS Made Simple to a hosting account.  This includes uploading the package via ftp, and accessing the installer.

I'm willing to work with the selected person (people?) to solve any technical difficulities and include their simple solutions into the video, and to work with you to get it looking good (audio not included, some of us have bad voices).

So, if you have some CMS Made simple experience, some time on your hands, and a willingness to share your experience with others, let me know. 

The person with the most experience in CMS made simple that responds will get preference.... closing will be in a week or less.

What benefit do you get from this? well... you can plaster your name, or your company's name all over the video as long as these basic facts are illustrated:
  1) downloading the package from the www.cmsmadesimple.org site
  2) expanding the package
  3) uploading the package to the hosting environment
  4) running through the install process to the point of successful installation
  5) it is well illustrated in the video that the product being used is CMS Made Simple 1.1.3.1 or later.

Again, I'm looking for volunteers.  I think this would be a good opportunity to learn something new, to practice what you already sorta know (whilst having a developer watch over you).... etc.

Get back to me.
Last edited by calguy1000 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Wanted: Somebody to make a wink video of a CMS Made Simple Install

Post by RonnyK »

Calguy1000,

I can try this. I have to check wink out first, as I'm not running that, but it shouldn't be hard to start such a tool and then go through the installation.

Ronny

Added: I took the time to take a look at wink today, so that has been taken care off.
Last edited by RonnyK on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

I have Wink installed on my PC, so if Ronny can't do it I can try. It has been awhile so I might have to practice.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
alby

Post by alby »

Hi Robert,
I upload in Documentation a video but server denied htm file of wink (error: this type is not image).
Is there an other way for this type?

Alby
pbrady
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pbrady »

Hi Calguy,

I have experience with Wink and also have my own hosting server so I could help out if no one else works out. Let me know.

Best,

-p
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

@alby: email me the links to the files, and I'll see about uploading them last time I checked the permissions weren't set correctly.

@pbrady:  I was hoping to get two or three of them up there, so the more the merrier, just let me know when you're done and I'll take a boo.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
cnymike
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cnymike »

I'd be willing to give this a go as well. I have Snapz Pro X for my Mac that will enable me to capture screen movies of this process along with audio. I do have a good speaking voice as well (professional radio broadcaster). If you are still needing some volunteers for this, let me know. Who knows...maybe the permissions 600 issue will rear it's ugly head during this and will get solved.

Michael

link to Snapz Pro X: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

This would be really cool, actually.  I've always wanted to do the same thing.  However, I don't have a good speaking voice and shouldn't be on the radio.  :)

For the Mac, I've been playing with iShowU for that kind of thing.  It's a bit cheaper, if anything...

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/home/home.html
streever

Post by streever »

I have a good speaking voice, but my mic isn't so good. But, I think it'd be good enough.

I would be willing to do this, if someone told me how they WANTED it done: i.e. i can use phpymyadmin or whatever, but just tell me what you think will be most helful.
cnymike
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cnymike »

Ted wrote: This would be really cool, actually.  I've always wanted to do the same thing.  However, I don't have a good speaking voice and shouldn't be on the radio.  :)

For the Mac, I've been playing with iShowU for that kind of thing.  It's a bit cheaper, if anything...

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/home/home.html
Ted, I'm astounded by how huge the movie files are that Snapz Pro X creates. Maybe I can tweak settings or something but I can't see how this would be helpful unless i can get file sizes down a lot. I'll take a look at the program you mentioned. I spend a lot of time on lynda.com watching their training videos and they're really excellent. I'd sure like to know what they use to produce them.
jcolvard
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by jcolvard »

What happened with this project?  anyone get around to doing this?
nhaack

Post by nhaack »

Hey,

probably a little late. But I am also interested in seeing how it goes on with project. I would actually volunteer to do so. I wrote about 300 pages on the DAY CMS and made some tutorial movies for that. If noone has gone for that as of now... let me know.

I'll see if I can use my companies captivate software for that. Afterwards I can export the tutorials as flash movies. I would also volunteer to try to create a series of movies, e.g. module install or page editing?

I would need some times for the storyboards though, but afterwards it's a rather quick go. But probably someone could do the voice layer? How about you streever? I think 3 or 4 movies for the start could be done within 1-2 months or so.

What do you think?

regards
nils
cnymike
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cnymike »

I've have completed two tutorials thus far. I am willing to do more but I have not really received any feedback either positive or negative so am waiting until I hear more about what I've already done before I proceed with additional tutorials.

The ones I have done are the tutorials, 1 and 2 here... http://wiki.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php ... _Tutorials
Duketown

Post by Duketown »

I've have done some work, at the office, with Wink. Great product.

cnymike:
It is correct that you have used lower quality of the screen captures? Sometimes unreadable.
Maybe an idea to state that for using a tar.gz on a windows machine one should be able to open such a file. 7-zip is a great tool for that.
You have a good, understandable, clear voice. So perfect for these type of tutorials
I take it that you didn't like the change of the layout of CMSMS. Now the pages you refer to in the tutorial look quite different.
That changing is a problem, since nobody expects you to keep it up to date with every change.

Thanks for now.
nhaack

Post by nhaack »

I like the narrating. Very clear and easy to follow voice. Makes me feel like a buddy next to me is explaining everything ;)

How about adding some static slides summarising the single steps.... eg. every minute or so, so users can easily make notes or if they don't have sound (or are deaf). Like: Go to http://.... select section... and so on. and probably some highlights (e.g. frames around relevant areas).

But good tempo, should be as easy as possible for everyone to follow. You might want to try out Captivate. I have had very good experience with it (except for Version 1 which crashes alot, even support couldn't help it). You need a few hours to get into, but it is very powerfull.

Best regards
Nils

Return to “Announcements”