CMSMS 1.x Update Bash Script

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
RytoEX
Forum Members
Forum Members

CMSMS 1.x Update Bash Script

Post by RytoEX »

I still have a few sites running CMSMS 1.x, so I was going over my checklist of steps to take to perform 1.x updates before upgrading to 2.x. I figured I could just make a quick Bash script to do a couple of quick things:
  1. Enable owner write permission on config file
  2. Move the custom admin dir to default location
  3. Unpack diff
  4. Move the admin dir to custom location
  5. Restore original permissions on config file
Simple enough. I wrote the script and then decided I wanted to automate more stuff. After a lot of tinkering, my checklist of tasks to automate quickly grew to this:
  1. Get site directory
  2. Backup config file
  3. Enable owner write permission on config file
  4. Edit config file admin dir setting to default location
  5. Move the custom admin dir to default location
  6. Unpack diff
  7. Move the admin dir to custom location
  8. Edit config file admin dir setting to custom location
  9. Restore original permissions on config file
  10. Optional: Verify checksums
After a while, I decided to make it available to the community in case that it might help people who are apprehensive about the update process (extracting a zip/tar from shell, dealing with custom admin directories, etc.). My hope is that this might help people through the update process and get more people to 2.x or closer to it.

So here's the link to my GitHub repo: https://github.com/RytoEX/cmsms-update-script

The script is licensed under GPLv3. Anyone is welcome to submit issues, feature requests, or pull requests via GitHub. I'll also keep an eye on this thread. The script certainly needs some cleanup (still some hard-coded strings present), and I'm sure it needs improvements (quoted variables, for instance). As with any update process, you should back up your site before running this script.

I do have a couple of additional features I'd considered adding, such as:
  1. Offer an optional site directory backup
  2. Offer an optional automatic database backup using config.php values
  3. Attempt automatic download of diff/update file if one is not detected locally
  4. Attempt automatic download of checksum file if one is not detected locally
  5. Try to detect where the user is on the Upgrade Path
Before I add those though, I wanted to try to get through some more testing.

Usage Instructions
You can download a zip file containing the 0.8 release here. Then, upload it to your web server and unzip it, or unzip it on your and upload only the CMSMSUpdateDiff.sh file to your server. Upload your desired CMSMS 1.x diff file to the same directory as this script. Optionally, you can also upload the checksum file for the CMSMS version to which you are updating. Open a terminal for your server, and run the script with:

Code: Select all

./CMSMSUpdateDiff.sh
The script will try to walk you through confirming the CMSMS 1.x diff update steps. The script will then execute the diff update steps after a user confirmation.

I apologize if I've left out any pertinent details in this post. It's rather late, but I wanted to post this now rather than put it off any longer. If this script helps even one other person, then I'm happy with that. If it doesn't help anyone other than myself, well then at least I had fun writing it.
FormBuilder Developer (former Admin)
FormBrowser Developer and Admin

Return to “The Lounge”