Apply versus Submit

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
KitchM
Power Poster
Power Poster

Apply versus Submit

Post by KitchM »

What is the difference between Apply and Submit?

Thanks.
sugna
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Apply versus Submit

Post by sugna »

Apply allows you to apply your revisions while keeping you on the page for further editing.

Submit will apply the revisions but take you back to the primary screen.

Its a good way to see if your revisions view as expected without having to enter editing mode every time you make a change
KitchM
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by KitchM »

Thanks for the explanation.

So one never needs to use the Submit button at all. One could just grab something else off of the menus to go somewhere else. Now that is misleading.

In a weird way though, that does makes sense. I am beginning to see a pattern that CMSMS programmers use in their thinking. Not a good thing, but I do see it.

I just wish it had been Exit or Close instead of Submit. After all, we already had the Cancel option. It should be Exit, Cancel and Apply.

Of course, it would be good to have an Undo or Revert button to undo any changes made, after one sees the damage done.

It wouldn't hurt to make it a little more intuitive. Just saying....
psy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by psy »

It's all a matter of semantics and what you get used to. 'Submit' vs 'Apply' makes perfect sense to me and my clients. They tell me and my clients that any changes made will be saved. The only difference is where they end up after clicking the buttons.

'Exit' or 'Close' would not tell me/clients that any changes to the page would be saved and would (in reverse to your comments) confuse them with the 'Cancel' button.

Just sayin' ...
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

The Lounge wrote: The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
Your are on a very thin line with this topic...

HTML Forms are submitted. That is a technical term that became a part of everyday use, a term that the vast majority of internet users understands and that is absolutely obvious.
General guidelines wrote:(...) However, all posts must be related to CMS Made Simple in some way, even on the 'Unofficial' Boards. (...)
(...) We highly recommend that everybody with CSS and HTML problems first find a book on the subject or read on it from other sources.
You need to do some research before make statements like these:
KitchM wrote:So one never needs to use the Submit button at all. One could just grab something else off of the menus to go somewhere else. Now that is misleading.

In a weird way though, that does makes sense. I am beginning to see a pattern that CMSMS programmers use in their thinking. Not a good thing, but I do see it.

I just wish it had been Exit or Close instead of Submit. After all, we already had the Cancel option. It should be Exit, Cancel and Apply.

Of course, it would be good to have an Undo or Revert button to undo any changes made, after one sees the damage done.

It wouldn't hurt to make it a little more intuitive. Just saying....
So I'm locking this topic.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!

Return to “The Lounge”