Article Counter

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
oreissue

Article Counter

Post by oreissue »

Using cmsms for one of my sites interests me.

I am currently using Joomla, but would like to replace it for several reasons.

But, it has a features I need that lack in most other cms software, that being in the "title/date/comment count" area a "hit/views/reads count."

The count needs to increase one whenever someone clicks "read more."

I know some CMS users don't like it or feel it is pointless. But not for what I do.

Strange, when it is a standard inclusion on forum scripts, which I also use and find very useful for my purposes.

I do understand for certain uses it is unwanted. But, so are comments.

Any ideas or suggestions for me so as to be able to use cmsms?

By the way, being very security conscious, I do not let Google or other such scripts have access.

I hope I posted this in the right place, being my first post here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Article Counter

Post by paulbaker »

Check out the Statistics module. One of these two "what" parameter options should help:
thispageviews : show the number of page-viewings of the current page (based on page-alias)
thisurlviews : show the number of page-viewings of the current precise URL (takes modules and their parameters into account)
chandra

Post by chandra »

Or maybe Hitcounter ....
oreissue

Post by oreissue »

Thanks, but the stats only show in admin, I need on the frontpage as well.

Hitcounter I had looked at before, but could not find the indicated templates. As well, it is an older mod and other posts indicated it had problems later on. I don't see where it is still being used.

I do appreciate your quick responses.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Statistics will show figures in the front end, I have used it this way myself.
oreissue

Post by oreissue »

paulbaker wrote:Statistics will show figures in the front end, I have used it this way myself.
Hmmm. I am obviously missing something then.

It shows a stats panel in the backend, but after visiting the site, not logged in, it shows all zeros and nothing on the front end about visits at all.

Being brand new to cmsms it is not hard to miss things.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

1. You need to put {Statistics} in every template you use. I put it just before the end body tag, but it doesn't really matter where you put it. This "fires" the code on every page hit so it can record statistics.

2. Visit a few pages and verify hits are increasing in the admin area Extensions -> Statistics -> Pages.

3. In the pages/articles you want to show visitor numbers, add code something like:

Code: Select all

We've had {Statistics what='total' how='txt'} hits since October 2009. Woo hoo!
There are other options - read the help at Extensions -> Statistics -> Module Help.
oreissue

Post by oreissue »

Sorry for taking so long to get back.

My first software was a popular forum software. That was when you had to edit files, etc by hand.

Very time consuming and problematic when there was a problem. Was it an edit error, a conflict with another mod, incompatibility with updated versions, etc.

The longer used the more the issues developed, so I moved to other forum software without those issues. No problems and very happy with what I have been using for a long time now.

Simply put, with all the upcoming changes in minimums I am hearing about concerning php, having to manually alter code to get unsupported or older mods working, etc, is not appealing.

Seeing the number of views on this thread and a related on started after this one, it would seem I am not alone.

So, I will keep an eye out for a more friendly software than what I am now using for a cms, including changes or new mods for cmsms. When I find one, I will move to it.

I do like the quick responses and seeming friendliness of the cmsms community, that is appealing to me.

So, while silent, still watching. ;D

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”