Where to Upload Updated Package

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
Calotron

Where to Upload Updated Package

Post by Calotron »

Hello, all. I've been doing some reasearch on how to update CMS for a server and I have seemed to run into a problem on my end, this is just based on what little experience I have with CMS and maintaing a Site in general. I currently have the update package I want, I've been reading through the update process that is on the site. Its been a huge help so far, but im at the point where it tells me to upload the new files, overwriting all the files on the server. Would I do this through my webhosting personel, or are these files located on the actual server machine's hard drive? I'd like to apologize in advance if this is a poorly asked question. I really am trying my best to find these things on my own. I appreciate any and all help and am willing to give you any infomration you need if I'm not giving enough info.

THANKS!
Calotron

Re: Where to Upload Updated Package

Post by Calotron »

I've actually figured it all out! Saw this very cool video on youtube that seemed pretty legit.

Here's the link, maybe someone can confirm that this is a good way to update an older version of CMS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tl2LRZyCfk
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

The video is how to install a fresh copy of CMSMS, not update it.
Calotron wrote:im at the point where it tells me to upload the new files, overwriting all the files on the server. Would I do this through my webhosting personel, or are these files located on the actual server machine's hard drive?
I do that bit on my hosting control panel, uploading the .gz file I get from here
http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/project/files/6
Then the control panel has options to unzip - this "explodes" the .gz file into other files/directories which overwrite existing files on your server.

Hope you're referring to
http://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/upgrading ... nformation
Calotron

Post by Calotron »

Alright good to know. I was looking at the link you posted yes.
Currently installing a fresh install on another Server so I can mess with things before I upload anything to the live server. I dont wanna screw up the website that they already have live right now.

Say I do create a decent site on this server that isnt being hosted, could I some how transfer the new site to the live server, overwriting the old one in that process?
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Calotron wrote:Say I do create a decent site on this server that isnt being hosted, could I some how transfer the new site to the live server, overwriting the old one in that process?
Yes you can do that too.

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”