Announcement: New module Script Deploy

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
JeremyBASS

Announcement: New module Script Deploy

Post by JeremyBASS »

Hello, so there is a new module out called Script Deploy .  What it does is let you take static or db JS and CSS files, combine them and minify them on the fly.  You can use smarty logic inside the scripts.   The output is cached and able to be severed from a subdomain for yslow greatness.  This is beta 0.1 but it's set to go.  Have fun with your new dynamic js and css files...

Cheers
Jeremy
Duketown

Re: Announcement: New module Script Deploy

Post by Duketown »

JeremyBASS,

Maybe you can help me out. I don't understand much of what it does. What is the purpose? Can you refer to some more reading material on the net?

Duketown
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Sure.. If you want smarty drive css files, this is for you... if you want smarty driven js files, this is for you... if you follow any of the rules of development here this is for you...

In short it outputs a css file or a js file.  Caches them if you want of sever them un-cached.  Join scripts or sever them one by one...

Uses besides all of that... let’s say you want to sever js and css files based on browsers or time of day... Really, there is much more then that if you dig in… Also.. this give a place for module developers to place js and css for both the fron end and back end…

Hope that clears up what you’d use this for.
Cheers
Jeremy
Andiministrator

Post by Andiministrator »

Hey Jeremy,

Thats really a great module, thanks for this.
I try to play around with the module. I have some (static) Javascript files and want to include them with Script Deploy.

I included the smarty placeholder in my site template like this:

Code: Select all

{cms_module module='ScriptDeploy' scriptID='2'}
Unfortunately the module is just showing nothing :S

Do you have any Idea what is wrong?
Please find two screenshots as attachments.

Greetings from Germany
Andiministrator
Attachments
scriptdeploy2.gif
scriptdeploy1.gif
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Hmm.. Odd I'll take a look.. I fear I may have forgot to add the path based back after the add the smarty processing.. I hope it's something else ... sorry for that I'll take a look later today and get back...

Side not the tabs; this is in the old admin template?  Looks like the css is not working there and I want to fix that... I'll confirm but let me know if there is a js error or something...

Cheers
Jeremy
Andiministrator

Yes, I use the old Admin Theme, because sometimes I use a Netbook with a smaller display - with the current admin theme I have to scroll on my netbook to much ...
But the new admin theme has no tabs too, see screenshot. I added a screenshot of the Firefox error console, maybe you can use it for debugging? Hope you have no problem with the German words on it ;)    ("Fehler" means error)

If you need something else, let mw know.
Attachments
scriptdeploy4.gif
scriptdeploy3.gif
Last edited by Andiministrator on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Hmm.. does your net have any 404's?  if so could you pass the file path on over to me... I'm planing on working on this later tonight or over the weekend, so if I can get it all errors sorted at once that would be super... Thanks for reporting back... Cheers
Jeremy
Andiministrator

I think, there are some missing files from the module "PayPalButtonMaker", which is not installed in my CMSms. See the following lines (part of the backend source of ScriptDeploy):

<link media="screen" href="../modules/PayPalButtonMaker/CSS/MasterCSS.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<__script__ type="text/javascript" src="../modules/PayPalButtonMaker/includes/ME_1.00.00.js"></__script>
Here some more source Code just for more information:

<__script__ type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
load = function() {
    load.getScript("http://ajax.microsoft.com/ajax/jQuery/jquery-1.3.2.min.js");
    // do stuff when jQuery finishes loading.
    load.tryReady(0);
}
load.getScript = function(filename) {
    var fileref = document.createElement("script")
    fileref.setAttribute("type","text/javascript")
    fileref.setAttribute("src", filename)
    if (typeof fileref!="undefined")
        document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(fileref)
}
load.tryReady = function(time_elapsed) {
    /* Continually polls for jQuery library. */
    if (typeof $ == "undefined") {
        if (time_elapsed <= 5000) {
            setTimeout("load.tryReady(" + (time_elapsed + 200) + ")", 200);
        } else {
            alert("Timed out while loading jQuery.")
        }
    }
}
if (typeof(window.jQuery)=="undefined"){
		load();   
}

//]]>

</__script>

<link media="screen" href="../modules/PayPalButtonMaker/CSS/MasterCSS.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<__script__ type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.jquerytools.org/1.1.2/tiny/jquery.tools.min.js"></__script>
<__script__ src="http://ajax.microsoft.com/ajax/jquery.validate/1.6/jquery.validate.min.js" type="text/javascript"></__script>
<__script__ type="text/javascript" src="../modules/PayPalButtonMaker/includes/ME_1.00.00.js"></__script>

<div id="demotip"> </div>

<__script__ type="text/javascript">$(document).ready(function(){$("ul.tabers").tabs("div.Tabpanes > div.pane", {effect: "fade", fadeOutSpeed: 200, initialIndex:0, onClick:function(event, tabIndex) {if ($(".pagemessage").length > 0){$(".pagemessage").closest(".pagemcontainer").fadeOut(2000,function(){$(".pagemessage").closest(".pagemcontainer").remove();});}}}); });</__script>
<ul class="tabers">
	<li><a href="#script_template">Scripts</a></li>

<li><a href="#manualassignment">Assignment</a></li>
	<li><a href="#options">Account Options</a></li>
</ul>
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Gosh .. yeah that is an over site.. I know that is fixed but I thought it fixed before I published... how embarrassing  ::) .. Sorry about that.. I'll publish a new version this weekend.. Let me know if you find any other errors... Cheers and thanks
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Alrighty. I think I got all the bugs.. Try it out.. Let me know if you still have issues.. Also I added a media type param and an import type param...

Cheers
Jeremy
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Ok.. I bumped the version to 0.3 for this change:

switched the ::: delimiters for {{ }} and striped out the preg_replace stuff...

Sorry for the quick change...
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

New version.. new improvements..

• Added two new params that let you turn off minifacation and smarty processing
  • Update the script that minifies JS and CSS so you get saving of up to +60% form originals...
  • Add notes to script for admin communication
  • Bug fixes
Also some highlights.. It auto creates and fixes the cache as you work on it.. This speeds up the user experience since it's you the admin creating the cache (not that it's a big overhead anyways)

Have fun.. cheers
jeremyBass
Last edited by JeremyBASS on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Ok... New and best version yet... fixed all the bugs I could find.. tested on live sites.. Also for those that tried and failed to install from module area in your admin this has been fixed and accounted for.

If your making tons of sites or just one really small one, this mod can help...

Save money on server costs
• Speed up your site (if your on a bad host this the gains may only be nulled by the bad host performance in the short term so gains are only in the long run for those  bad hosts )
• Works really well with EditArea which is a code highlighter... this is just a top notch way to work!!!

So what's next?  Well alerts for when an admin user is working on the file... sliming the mod for the thinnest fast running code (not that it's not already light)... drag and drop ordering...

Check out the new version

Cheers
jeremyBass
Last edited by JeremyBASS on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyBASS

Announcement: Script Deploy 0.6 w Inline CSS validation

Post by JeremyBASS »

New version...

• Bug fixes

• Inline CSS validation

check it out... nice and tight... let me know how it goes... Cheers
Jeremy
Attachments
3.jpg
FireShot-capture-#014---'Script
2.jpg
Last edited by JeremyBASS on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

So.. here it is.. I would  go as far as to say it's the only CSS and JS solution you should use... there is nothing out there that works like this... Have fun...

{---NOTE--- THIS BREAKS THE VERSIONS BEFORE }

Sorry I had to do it for the version control.. yep.. version control..

You can turn minify on and off per script whether or not it is in a
group.. that's right you can open up a packed script to debug it..
Turn off and on the minify from the tags..

URLs of images in your css can now have a cache breaking automatically.

Hot Keys save... Ctrl + s  saves the scripts

Ajax galore...

Relational links thru groupings for speed editing...

Smarty processing..

Um I bet I forgot a bunch... You just need to use it to see why

ScriptDeploy saves you time.. Saves you money… Saves your but!!
Cheers

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”