Multi - Languages

Talk about writing modules and plugins for CMS Made Simple, or about specific core functionality. This board is for PHP programmers that are contributing to CMSMS not for site developers
brownrl
Forum Members
Forum Members

Multi - Languages

Post by brownrl »

Has any one worked on multi - language aspects of cmsms?

My theory:

I will try this out on the next site that I make and give the results unless some one has better solutions. I really would like to know the golden way to make a language website?

Once you have the site made in one language and you are fairly happy with it especially the layout. Then if you live in Blegium as example copy your cmsms directory to the number of languages required.

cmsms_en/
cmsms_fr/
cmsms_nl/

Copy the database tables to a a new prefix. Changing the cms_ prefix on tables for each additional language like so:

cms_en_
cms_fr_
cms_nl_

Changing the config file for each copy and check you permissions and such especially on those smarty directories.

Then make a set of links on the site:

Code: Select all

<a href = "../cmsms_en/?p={php}echo $_GET['p];{/php}">en</a> |
<a href = "../cmsms_fr/?p={php}echo $_GET['p];{/php}">fr</a> |
<a href = "../cmsms_nl/?p={php}echo $_GET['p];{/php}">nl</a> |
Last note:

Make sure not to change the alias name for the pages. If you create a page in one language be sure to copy it to all the others.
calexico

Multi - Languages

Post by calexico »

In fact i already thought about it.

I think that native management of multi language site will come later, as well as versioning for content. But this not a priority, at least for the moment.

From my point of view, you should be able to define the languages of your site, and edit it in any language, being notified when the master version (which would refer to the "main" language) has been modified so that translators can update it.
However, this also requires session management in the site display, which is not implemented yet.

Wishy, what are your thought about that ?
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Multi - Languages

Post by Ted »

That's actually a great idea. It's definatly something that is awhile away, but we should definatly be laying the groundwork for this now with the content rewrite that's going on.

Return to “Developers Discussion”