Mail Settings correct, but Authentication failed

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
fearmydesign
Power Poster
Power Poster

Mail Settings correct, but Authentication failed

Post by fearmydesign »

Hi there, so I'm trying to setup the Mail Settings under Global Settings, and although I've done this hundreds of times before, I can't seem to figure out why these particular settings are not working.

I will put my CMSMS details last here. So I want to setup my Mail Settings for FormBuilder using an SMTP connection. I have an Exchange Office365 email acct, and they are giving me all the correct settings. These are their settings

Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS

I'm adding everything the exact same, along with my username and password, but when I test, it keeps giving me this error: "SMTP Error: Could not authenticate" ???

Has anyone had a similar problem using their Exchange 365 smtp setttings with the CMSMS Mail Settings? Thank you

Version Status Action Active
AdminSearch 1 Installed Uninstall
CMSContentManager 1.1 Installed Uninstall
CMSMailer 5.2.4 Installed Cannot Uninstall
DesignManager 1.1.1 Installed Uninstall
FileManager 1.5.2 Installed Cannot Uninstall
FormBuilder 0.8.1.3 Installed Uninstall Depends on: CMSMailer
MenuManager 1.50.2 Installed Uninstall
MicroTiny 2.0.2 Installed Uninstall Depends on: FileManager
ModuleManager 2.0.1 Installed
Navigator 1.0.2 Installed Uninstall
News 2.50.3 Installed Uninstall
Search 1.50.2 Installed Uninstall
Rod
"Be careful who you step on your way up; because you never know who you'll meet on your way down!" - or something like that.
fearmydesign
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Mail Settings correct, but Authentication failed

Post by fearmydesign »

Still trying to figure this out.

I called GoDaddy about our Email Exchange 365 account, but they just reconfirmed I had the correct settings and said they couldn't help any further :-\

I have tried all different combinations of the settings, hoping one will work (as the main settings don't), but this didn't work either.

Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS

I also tried setting this up using a different email address I have with GoDaddy but not exchange, it uses the secureserver email settings, and this works... so I know it's working, but why isn't it accepting my exchange email settings?

If you have other suggestions as to what I can try please let me know, it will be greatly appreciate it. In the mean time I will continue to think about this and post any updates.

Thanks again for your help.
Rod
"Be careful who you step on your way up; because you never know who you'll meet on your way down!" - or something like that.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Mail Settings correct, but Authentication failed

Post by velden »

I set up a test install for you and can confirm it works:
smtp_office365.PNG
Could send a test-mail to an email address OUTside the specific Office 365 domain and received it within seconds.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”