Moving from test site to permanent site problems

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
jasnick
Power Poster
Power Poster

Moving from test site to permanent site problems

Post by jasnick »

Using CMSMS latest version.

Have read the wiki and it all sounded very easy.
Until I began.

Downloaded the old site files and stored them. Empty directory now. Installed a fresh version of CMSMS. Now I had to upload the site files. This I did and ended up with two 'admin' dirs.
This is because I had changed the name of the admin dir in the interests of security. So I renamed the new 'admin' so it wouldn't be confused with the proper one though I guess I can delete it. So far so good.

Created a new database. Had already backed up the database on the test site and now I exported it to my computer. Then opened up phpMyAdmin in new site and tried to Import the downloaded DB. Got the following error message:

SQL query

--
-- Database: `westtest_sails`
--
-- --------------------------------------------------------
--
-- Table structure for table `cms_additional_htmlblob_users`
--
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `cms_additional_htmlblob_users` (
`additional_htmlblob_users_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL ,
`user_id` int( 11 ) DEFAULT NULL ,
`htmlblob_id` int( 11 ) DEFAULT NULL ,
PRIMARY KEY ( `additional_htmlblob_users_id` )
) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = utf8;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1046 - No database selected

I didn't tick or untick anything - just left it at the default settings.
I can access the CMS - all good including my own theme - but it doesn't show any of my site, just the usual CMSMS new installation display. I'm guessing this is because of the database or lack of it. Config.php lists the new DB.

I thought I had prepared well but it is a disaster. Need to get the site up this weekend as I have taken the old site down.

Thanks. Hope someone can suggest where I have gone wrong and how to fix it. Have a ticket in with my hosting company but no reply as yet.
Dr.CSS

Re: Moving from test site to permanent site problems

Post by Dr.CSS »

That error sounds like one I've run into before, it was because there was an existing DB with cmsms tables in it already, had to drop all tables then import worked...
jasnick
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jasnick »

Hi Dr.CSS - I found where I had gone wrong. Having almost no knowledge of databases (I used to work solely with HTML and CSS and outsourced any database work) I followed the instructions exactly and they didn't work. It is probably a matter of terminology.

It is all about Exporting and Importing a DB. However, I now think it is not the actual DB that is Exported or Imported but the CONTENTS of the DB. I managed the exporting using phpMyAdmin and then came the Importing. This is where I went wrong.

I had already created a new DB on the site as per instructions so when I opened phpMyAdmin on the new site, I then clicked on Import and of course it didn't work. I then spent hours searching various forums for a post that might show me where I went wrong and finally I found one.

What I should have done is to SELECT the new DB, and THEN Import. However, when I opened phpMyAdmin and saw the name for the new DB on the left, as I was going to import a DB, I fully expected it to just appear in the list under the name of the existing DB. No doubt this will sound stupid to all those experienced in DB's but that is what usually happens when you import something - it appears intact wherever you import it to. Just like when I imported a theme for admin.

So it was a good learning experience and I am expecting the next site will go a lot easier now that I have a better understanding of what I am doing.
kerryshamblin
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by kerryshamblin »

Thanks for this last post, jasnick. You saved me hours.
jasnick
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jasnick »

Glad it helped :)

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”