[SOLVED] News 'more' link returns a 404 error

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: News 'more' link returns a 404 error

Post by velden »

Some info and tips:

http://www.stormforce.biz/?mact=News,cn ... eturnid=66
seems to work, so you news module works at least a little.

Tip: rename your 'news' directory on you file system.
OR does it contain a .htaccess file? Please post the contents of that one here. I can't see in you the .htaccess you already posted how it should translate the news-url. I would expect a special rewrite rule for the news somewhere.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

yeah if you have a physical directory called 'news' on the filesystem that will take preference over all mod_rewrite rules.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
JimboDavies
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JimboDavies »

I have solved it! In the process of attempting to browse cached wiki pages etc to find out the correct config for a .htaccess file in the news/ folder, I was struggling to find an answer. So, I decided to move the folder and see what happened - now, as long as my news items don't have a URL specified, they work absolutely fine.

Hannah, our Marketing Co-Ordinator, is now busying herself removing the URL from all the old articles I managed to recover ;D

Thanks very much for all your help!
JimboDavies
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JimboDavies »

velden wrote:Tip: rename your 'news' directory on you file system.
OR does it contain a .htaccess file? Please post the contents of that one here. I can't see in you the .htaccess you already posted how it should translate the news-url. I would expect a special rewrite rule for the news somewhere.
I was posting as you did this - all sorted, and your info was definitely correct.
JimboDavies
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JimboDavies »

calguy1000 wrote:yeah if you have a physical directory called 'news' on the filesystem that will take preference over all mod_rewrite rules.
Likewise, I was posting as you did this. I'm not sure why the news/ directory had been put in with a special .htaccess file (the benefits of taking over a site from someone else!), but a little rm -rf has sorted that!
ozziejohn
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: [SOLVED] News 'more' link returns a 404 error

Post by ozziejohn »

I'm new to CMSMS and running 1.11.4 with the News module 2.12.10

I'm also getting a 404 error when I have a news summary and then click on the "more" link.

Since this post is [solved] how did you eventually fix it?

I also notice that when a summary is not used and just the detail is shown, that paragraph formatting is not being rendered even though it's put in the content page. It that normal?

Thanks for any help.
JimboDavies
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JimboDavies »

Hi ozzlejohn,

I had a folder in my site root called 'news' which contained a custom .htaccess file (which I think was designed to make the news articles work with pretty urls). Deleting that folder fixed the problem.

Questions:
1. Do you have pretty URLs enabled?
2. What does your .htaccess file in your site root look like?
3. Have you checked the expiration date on the news articles?
4. Have you specified a detailpage, and if so does it exist as a page?

Answers to those will help the troubleshooting.
ozziejohn
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ozziejohn »

Hi Jimbo

My News folder didn't contain a .htaccess file.
I found a file called .htaccess under the domain > public html > doc
Opening .htaccess showed the following:
deny from all
</Files>

Although I've come across the "enable pretty urls" I can't for the life of me find it now .... but I'm practically 100% certain that I didn't activate that option.

I haven't used an expiration date on the articles (still building up the website)

When I installed 1.11.4 there were some help pages installed with the simplex templates and stylesheets. One of these pages was named "News" and was originally "active." I copied that page and called it "Buzz" and using the "Options" tab in the News module specified Buzz as the page to show the detail.

When I ask for a preview when I'm in the news item, it shows the news detail in the Buzz page, but when I look at the website, the detail is shown in the "News" page. I've just realised that I got the 404 errors yesterday after I deactivated the "News" page and wanted to see the news detail on the Buzz page. Now I've reactived the "News" page and moved it into my website navigation and assigned it the same template and stylesheet as the rest of the site.

When I click on the "News" page, I see the original text:
To display a list of news items you insert the tag {news number='5' category='General'}. On this page the tag is inserted in the template. But it can also be inserted on a page. You can see the News module in use in the sidebar to the left.
There are a number of parameters that can be used in conjunction with this tag. To read about how a module is used, navigate to Extensions » Modules in the Admin Panel and click on "Help" for the module you want to read about.

However when I now click on the "More" link on the News summary, the News page content is substitued with the respective News article detail.

It seems that the News module will only show detail in page with the alias of "News" - at least in my installation!
JimboDavies
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JimboDavies »

Two things to check.

Firstly, if you go to Content > News > Options, at the bottom, you should have a default detail page. Make sure that is set to 'Buzz'.

Secondly, where you call the news module, you should have something like:

Code: Select all

{news number='4' detailpage='Buzz'}
If both of those are correct, and you have a page with the Alias of Buzz, that should work. If it doesn't, you could also try changing the detailpage= in the module call to the page id number.
ozziejohn
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ozziejohn »

Hi Jimbo.

I've found what the problem was. In the template, the news module was being called with {news summarytemplate='Summary_Simplex' number='2' detailpage='news' detailtemplate='Simplex_Detail'}. No matter what detail page alias I put in the "options", the template was apparently overriding it.

When I deleted the "detailpage='news'" from the template, the default page under the tab "options" works to show the news detail in any of the website pages. :)

Thanks very much for your input! If you come to Belgium, I'll buy you a beer. We have hundreds of different types and all good.
JimboDavies
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JimboDavies »

OzzleJohn,

Glad you got it sorted! I'm slightly suspicious of these European lagers pretending to be beers, but if I come to Belgium I'll take you up on it!

If you're ever in Southampton, I'll get you a proper beer (ale)!

Jimbo
ozziejohn
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ozziejohn »

I'm talking about the "Trappist" or "Abbey" beers (7-12°), none of that low alcohol stuff ;-) Thanks heaps for your help Jimbo.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”