More database stuff through forms?

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
TimAllen
Forum Members
Forum Members

More database stuff through forms?

Post by TimAllen »

Newbie Question. First things first, isn't CMSMS wonderful? I'm a designer playing with CSS and CMSMS really works for me. Let me know if you love or hate templates like this one I made earlier ;) at www.gillmoon.com (my wife's site) Plug over.

My question though is this:I am rubbish at proper grown up code and php/mysql stuff, so I'm always looking for modules that will do all that for me. Is there a module that will allow me to add database entries through a form (possibly in a hidden admin page), and then a way of reading this data back in in a formatted pretty and sexy css stylee? I want to be able to fill up a database with stuff using about 10 or so different choices from drop downs and some free text areas, then make searches using slections from one or more of the drop downs. If I wasn't so thick I could do it myself - but if all else fails, and there's no module available, does anyone fancy some dev work for me?

Thanks everyone.
scooper
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: More database stuff through forms?

Post by scooper »

The ListItExtended module is great for creating bespoke lists of content in the admin area which can then be displayed on the front end.

If you want users to be able to add items on the front end (which doesn't sound like a great idea but...) then you should look at a combination of Form Builder and Form Browser

There's plenty of other modules that might do you as well but we've used both those options above very successfully.

Hope that's some help.

s.
TimAllen
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by TimAllen »

Thanks so much for the prompt reply...I'll have a play with listIt2, but I'm not quite sure it'll be meaty enough. Although the searches and content I need to display is simple and always similar, there's loads of it. For the project I need to have something that lets me put in details for boats like : Manufacturer:Model:Length:KeelType:ContructionType:Year:NumbersSold: and some true or false options for InProduction:y/n then some free text for descriptions. I then need to make searches like 'show me all the 40' GRP boats with a fin keel' and that to return the results with the free text and photos. Lorks a mercy. I wish I'd gone to school now...

Thanks again
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

Sounds like task for Products module, but with ListIt2 you can add as many custom fields as you need, so if you do good planing before starting to work on your project i see no objections in using it ;)
TimAllen
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by TimAllen »

Top man - thanks. I guess I'd better start learning this stuff properly now then....

Return to “General Discussion”