Frontpage of documentation

Discussion of the documentation project.
Milhaus

Frontpage of documentation

Post by Milhaus »

Hi!
I looked to the new documentation again and discover that it is different from old version in one important thing - you cannot simply choose language you want on the front page. Yes, you can click on User handbook and choose the language afterwards, but user must know what is it and it can be real problem for some of them - for example czech. So I think we should move language selection to the frontpage of documentation.
But even better can be if the user get page already in mother tongue. I think, we can use Javasript for it, probably language property of navigator object (navigator.language: cs). What do you think about it?
cyberman

Re: Frontpage of documentation

Post by cyberman »

Milhaus wrote: So I think we should move language selection to the frontpage of documentation.
I like this idea too ...
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

I've added the LanguageHeader and Footer to the wiki home page.  At this point, you can make a copy, translate it, and set the User Handbook link to point to the Introduction for that language instead.

Hope that helps.
Milhaus

Post by Milhaus »

Hi!
Thanks Ted, now it is much better, I think. But all good things can be made even better, so I have some complementary ideas:
1. I think, it will be better to move the language header to the blue strip up right. It will better use the space. The letters can be also bigger by default.
2. For quicker choose of right languages can be useful to add small flags to the labels. Example of meaningful flags can be official site of Inkscape.
3. I don't know, what the meaning of language footer is. For me it is look like a nonsense. But maybe I just don't know right meaning of it. Can someone explain?

Thanks.

P.S. I enclosed screenshot for better understanding. Btw. How can I post image directly to the Post ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
westis

Post by westis »

Hi Milhaus,

1. Some of the headers are quite long, so having the languages in the blue header bar might result in weird layouts a languages are added, especially with small width of the page.

2. Flags are good, either together with the text or instead of it. But then each user that is adding a new language must upload a flag of exactly the same size as the others (or it would looked strange). I think it's worth considering though, if it's practically possible.

3. Well, language footer... hmm, it may not be that necessary. It's just if you've scrolled down and can choose the langauge below instead of having to scroll up again... or something. You think it's in the way?

What do you mean post image directly to the post? It looks good the image you've attached to your post.
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

westis wrote: 2. Flags are good, either together with the text or instead of it. But then each user that is adding a new language must upload a flag of exactly the same size
I think all flags there are a translation project in cmsms forge should be available.
westis

Post by westis »

cyberman wrote:
westis wrote: 2. Flags are good, either together with the text or instead of it. But then each user that is adding a new language must upload a flag of exactly the same size
I think all flags there are a translation project in cmsms forge should be available.
Yeah, if we name the flags like de.gif, sv.gif etc., i.e. the same two-letter code that is use for the language in the wiki, then the user adding the language should have the flag already available. We'll look into this at some point.
Milhaus

Post by Milhaus »

Hi, thanks for reply.
westis wrote: Hi Milhaus,

1. Some of the headers are quite long, so having the languages in the blue header bar might result in weird layouts a languages are added, especially with small width of the page.
That's right, so i tried to make another version. My key thought is that the language selection should be highlighted and separated from the content. And for beginners it can be also better to place table of contents to the left and make it full visible by default. I think it is more frequent on web pages.

P.S. Sorry once again for my English. In fact, work with CMSMS is practice for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Return to “[locked] Documentation0ld”