NMS "unsubscribe made simple"

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
jazzbüro
Forum Members
Forum Members

NMS "unsubscribe made simple"

Post by jazzbüro »

I really need the function to unsubscribe selected newsletters, not ALL newsletters from the list of public newsletters

the subscribe-tag lists all public newsletters and the visitor can decide which newsletter he or she wants to subscribe

the unsubscribe-tag just takes the mail-adress and unsubscribes the subscriber from all lists...

If you read the forums, you will see that there pleas for adding correct unsubscribe-behaviour dating back long time now

This is absolutely essential for a Newsletter Administration and I really need this functionality for my clients.

This is posted as a bug in the FORGE as well but I get the impression that the relevance of this problem is not understood

So, please, do a update and add this functionality, happy users will be thankful!
Gerd

Re: NMS "unsubscribe made simple"

Post by Gerd »

I think, this can be done with the "preferences" variable.
When the user is led to this form, he is able to check/uncheck every single newsletter.
wdberatung
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wdberatung »

This is not really the answer for my question.

I see that users can find this "Preference-Variable" in the email which is sent to confirm the subscription.

But: Users subscribe at the website, where we list the available newsletters and there they want to unsubscribe. And that is why I need a list with checkboxes to select which newsletters they want to unsubscribe.

Please tell, which user keeps the confirmation mail and reads that when he want to unsubscribe?
They go to the website and look there.

So my question is still open and unanswered. And that is no good.
Gerd

Post by Gerd »

wdberatung wrote:
Please tell, which user keeps the confirmation mail and reads that when he want to unsubscribe?
That's true, but the template "User Settings", triggered with {NMS mode='usersettings'} let the user regenerate an email with a link to the subscribed newsletters.

All actions MUST be taken via eMail, because that is the only way to authenticate a newsletter receipient.

A demo may be seen at Webdeerns "Benutzereinstellungen"
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

Gerd wrote:
wdberatung wrote:
That's true, but the template "User Settings", triggered with {NMS mode='usersettings'} let the user regenerate an email with a link to the subscribed newsletters.

All actions MUST be taken via eMail, because that is the only way to authenticate a newsletter receipient.

A demo may be seen at Webdeerns "Benutzereinstellungen"
Correct, the needed functionality can be accomplished by using the "Modify Settings" option. This seems like a very viable and acceptable solution.

@wdberatung/jazzbüro/connie - Please stop registering new accounts. We have been extremely flexible and have tried to explain our approach numerous times and it seems all we get in return are snarky comments and tactless demands. We are all excited for ideas and feature requests, however we do not appreciate them demanded of us in a conceited manner.

Please be more flexible and understand that we can't jump at every request and we can't jump at them right away. We have personal lives beyond CMSMS and the Internet.

If you can work with us, I can see everyone getting along much better. We'd rather it be that way. Unfortunately some of the more valid requests may have been disregarded because of past poor experiences and discussions that have happened.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
nuno

Post by nuno »

tyman00 wrote:
We are all excited for ideas and feature requests, however we do not appreciate them demanded of us in a conceited manner.

Please be more flexible and understand that we can't jump at every request and we can't jump at them right away. We have personal lives beyond CMSMS and the Internet.

Sorry I could resist...
AMEN
wdberatung
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wdberatung »

I do not think that my postings are snarky comments and tactless demands.

I am using CMSMS for some years now, and I got thrown out of the forum because of my continous asking for solutions when functions are not complete or not practicable or when I was asking for help or advice. I did contribute a lot but I was excluded from the forum by an allmighty forum master and had no chance to communicate.

I would be happy to contribute and I would be happy if CMSMS will get functionalities which are needed for years (like the unsubscribe function) or if CMSMS will get a better directory of available plugins and modules (and not empty module registrations which are useless for users)

I am not such a monster as you describe me, but I have a lot of problems with the integration of some detail functions of CMSMS and there I run against walls.
Correct, the needed functionality can be accomplished by using the "Modify Settings" option. This seems like a very viable and acceptable solution.
If I had gotten that answer or if I could have found this answer which I now find here before, these postings would not have escalated so much.
A fast and short description of that possibility would have helped... and that was was I and others were asking for ;=(
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

All we ask is that you remember that it's not what you have issues with or that you have issues. Many of your concerns are legitimate and I'd even like to see some of them implemented.

The issue is how you portray them. It's not just a handful of people that have taken issue with some of your comments. Please keep them in check and understand that we can't fix each and every issue or fix them right away, regardless of how important they may seem to you. We have to provide as good of a product as we can in our own free time that will be best for the project and community as a whole. Sometimes individual requests, as good or valid as they may be, can't be addressed because there are other items needed that will provide better features and functionality for the majority. It's all about priorities.

Please keep all this in mind and things will work out fine.

In regards to your comments concerning Modify Settings. I thought it to be fairly obvious, especially since it is clearly available by observing the basic functions of the module.
Last edited by tyman00 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
wdberatung
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wdberatung »

Hi, Tyman000,
In regards to your comments concerning Modify Settings. I thought it to be fairly obvious, especially since it is clearly available by observing the basic functions of the module.
the basic functions of the module contain the "Modify Settings" but they also contain the "unsubscribe-functionality" which is what people will use first when they look for that functionality.
And that functionality is not usable as it unsubscribes from all newsletters and not from one newsletter....

so if you think that the "Modify Settings" functionality is what is doing the job, then the unsubscribe-functionality should be excluded from the module.

What you mean concerning my demands, please understand as well that when a webdeveloper / webdesigner is working on a website for a client and that client asks for that functionality and finds that, for example, unsubscribe-functionality is included, the webdesigner gets into a lot of stress when that functionality is not working as promised. And that happened to me in the last time quite often, I could not explain why the functionalities are not usable and they cut my money...
please understand that site of the coin as well

Cheers, Connie

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”