htmlblobs (global content)

Forum rules
Only administrators can post or move items here.
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

htmlblobs (global content)

Post by kermit »

htmlblobs (aka global content blocks) are NOT design, they are NOT layout. they are CONTENT (hence the name "global CONTENT blocks"). so why the heck are they removed and converted into design elements (templates). not only can you no longer just pop-in to add some blobs then insert them; you've got to exit the content editing section, move to layout, make a template, type the CONTENT into it, save it, then add that template-used-as-content to each theme that will use it (significantly cluttering the list of attached templates on a theme), and then and only then add the tag where you wanted it. add a new template... have 10-20 blobs? you're off to find a new cms package before you even get that far.

blobs were nice, they were convenient, they were flexible, they did what they should and worked as they should, i see absolutely no reason to remove this feature from the v2 core. was there even any thought that went into this other than cg saying 'i dont want them anymore. lets make them templates instead'?

totally screws up how things get set up here for editors in charge of little bits of content only (such as a promo, a schedule or a list of some sort)... formerly, lock down the back end except for those few blobs they can edit.. now they get to have friggin design privs and have to navigate out of their little 'content' menu with hardly anything in it.. then work with something that is entirely counter-intuitive for the purpose...

i so want to say more but i'm gonna cut this short here or someone will ban me or something.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: htmlblobs (global content)

Post by Jo Morg »

kermit wrote:htmlblobs (aka global content blocks) are NOT design, they are NOT layout. they are CONTENT (hence the name "global CONTENT blocks"). so why the heck are they removed and converted into design elements (templates).
Actually, they were wrongly named to begin with. They are, and always have been Smarty templates. So they were just moved to the right place in terms of organization.
kermit wrote:blobs were nice, they were convenient, they were flexible, they did what they should and worked as they should, i see absolutely no reason to remove this feature from the v2 core. was there even any thought that went into this other than cg saying 'i dont want them anymore. lets make them templates instead'?
You are, of course entitled to an opinion. Just don't make assumptions... CMSMS is the work of a team, and that is all I'm going to say about this subject.
kermit wrote:i so want to say more but i'm gonna cut this short here or someone will ban me or something.
Be polite, research before you post, make suggestions... as long as you don't offend anyone, you are free to post your opinions and suggestions.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!

Return to “Closed Issues”