[SOLVED] Cookies set by CMS made simple

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
chillifish
Forum Members
Forum Members

[SOLVED] Cookies set by CMS made simple

Post by chillifish »

One of my clients is somewhat overcomplying with the EU cookie law and wants me to list all cookies used on the site. I have informed them that it is only people with backend access that will be receiving any cookies, but they still want it on there. Can anyone tell me what the names of the cookies used are? Cheers!
Last edited by chillifish on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Cookies set by CMS made simple

Post by calguy1000 »

CMSMS (core) uses only one cookie on the frontend. it's 'CMSSESSID' (or something like that). It is a session cookie (deleted when the browser closes). and contains only a single string (the unique session id).

More cookies are used on the backend for various purposes
(viewing alerts, login authentication, etc).

Additionally, third party modules may create cookies.

Best is to use the chrome/firefox/IE developer tools and look at the response and request headers and see the cookies yourself.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
chillifish
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by chillifish »

I did look, but they seemed to be related to admin, as I'm an admin, I figured that would relate to me only, so I wondered what the other ones are. I've tried to tell them that it doesn't matter, but they are adamant that the cookie policy lists all cookies used by the site.
chillifish
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by chillifish »

It seems they are CMSSESSID, cms_admin_user_id, and cms_passhash if anybody wants to know. I logged in as an editor and it still used cms_admin_user_id to indentify me, not cms_editor_id or similar.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: [SOLVED] Cookies set by CMS made simple

Post by calguy1000 »

There are more cookies set at various times in the admin console depending upon your permission level, and what messages you see etc. I cannot say that this is an exhaustive list.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: [SOLVED] Cookies set by CMS made simple

Post by paulbaker »

Firefox shows you the cookies present. I just checked on one of my CMSMS sites (visiting as a normal visitor, not a logged in admin person) and it shows CMSSESSID cookie as you mention but also 3 cookies relating to the Statistics module. So it depends on what modules you are running.

Return to “CMSMS Core”