"Hiding Private Content in CMS Made Simple"

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
wakewatcher
Forum Members
Forum Members

"Hiding Private Content in CMS Made Simple"

Post by wakewatcher »

I'm building a new site so started with a fresh install of the latest (1.11.4). I want it to have a mix of public and private content so Google brought me to calguy's fantastic set of instructions for doing so. I'm having some problems and the latest version of the instructions I found was dated August 15th, 2009 so that might explain it.

I've got to the working as described where I can hide content pages (up through page 23 in my version of calguy's manual). The problem I'm having is with the next step of hiding the navigation tabs/links for non logged in users.

I don't know if that is because the page templates in this version has changed since the 2009 version. (E.g.

Code: Select all

{menu template='simple_navigation.tpl' collapse='1'}
is now
{menu loadprops = 0 template='simple_navigation.tpl' collapse='1'}
or if it because a different way to set the 'extra1' attribute as there is no 'extra1' field in the options tab of the content page form but instead a 'Extra Page Attribute 1:' field. I assumed it was the same field and set it to 'restricted'.

Anyway I've made the changes best I could through page 25 of the manual but alas the navigation tabs/links for the hiding pages still displays whether or not the user is logged in or not.

I may have overlooked something but after sleeping on it I still can't find what's wrong.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: "Hiding Private Content in CMS Made Simple"

Post by calguy1000 »

Uhm.... I'm fairly sure I updated that doc to describe the fact that you can now create new pages of type "Protected Content" and when editing those pages select which group(s) are allowed to view the page.

This will automatically interface with the MenuManager and hide the items from the navigation. Be sure when doing this to make sure that the MenuManager template is not cachable.

Steps:
a: Install FEU
a.1: Create at least one property (I usually create a "Full Name" text property"
a.2: Create at least one group
a.2.i: Associate at least one property with the group. I usually mark the "Full Name" property as optional.

b: Create a new page of type "Content" for the login/logout/changesettings stuff
b.1: add {FrontEndUsers} to that page.
b.2: Tip: Use permissions to prevent the average content editor from modifying this page.

c: Create one or more new pages of type "Protected Content"
c.1: (optional) Select which group(s) should be able to view that page. Select no groups to just indicate that the visitor should be authenticated to FEU to be able to view the page (member of 0 or more groups).

d: Profit
The MenuManager stuff will just work.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
wakewatcher
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wakewatcher »

Excellent! Does that mean that I should restore all the templates to their former unaltered state?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Correct. For simple needs, you may not need to modify the page template at all.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
wakewatcher
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wakewatcher »

Fantastic. I'm guessing then that I also don't need the "CustomContent' module.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”