Products / Orders : Best way to add user-specific info to item in an order?

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
kendo451

Products / Orders : Best way to add user-specific info to item in an order?

Post by kendo451 »

I'm using Calguy's Ecommerce Suite (Products, Orders, Cart)

I have a membership site where the member (parent) can have several players (kids) and buys tournaments for the kids.  Sometimes only one of the kids comes to the tournament, so I need a way to buy a product and specify which kid it's for at the time of adding it to the cart.

A product attribute would work great, if dynamic attribs were possible.  I could just populate the attribute with that child player ids on the fly.  But Products doesn't have dynamic attributes, so...

What would be a good way to link a piece of information, in this case the player id, to an Order Item at the Cart page so that my Post_Gateway_Complete script can add the correct player to the Tournament?
planegoofy

Re: Products / Orders : Best way to add user-specific info to item in an order?

Post by planegoofy »

The method i currently use for the site I maintain for an organization I belong to is have the member fill in the name/s in the order notes text area at the time of order. You could probably use jquery to create a dropdown list from a DB and have it fill in this field from the user created control but that is currently beyond my meager abilities. I have looked into this and I believe it is possible. I hope that helps.
kendo451

Re: Products / Orders : Best way to add user-specific info to item in an order?

Post by kendo451 »

I think I'm just going to create a database table that stores order id, item id, and the attribute and access it with a UDT.
kendo451

Nope that won't work

Post by kendo451 »

Neither of the two suggestions above will work:

- Using the comment field is order-specific, not item-specific.

- Can't make a UDT to store the order#, Item# and value in the DB because when you add the item to the cart, there isn't an order existing for it yet.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”