CgExtension not upgrading

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
Barrowboy
Forum Members
Forum Members

CgExtension not upgrading

Post by Barrowboy »

Hi

My system is requesting that I upgrade CGExtension 1.42.2 to 1.44.2

I assume the that is the latest version.

But when I update the module the system part crashes with some other modules not working the new module is showing error in red.
I can go back and install the original version from a backup and it works fine.

But why will the system not update.

I am using the latest version of CMSMS and all other modules are up to date.

Thanks for any help.
oliverseddon
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: CgExtension not upgrading

Post by oliverseddon »

Have you read the new CGExtensions spec, it requires PHP 5.4 minimum.

I'm guessing you don't have that version of PHP hence the errors.

Thanks
Barrowboy
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Barrowboy »

Thanks for the tip.

My hosting server is only running php 5.3.9. I have requested an update but they say this will be done sometime in the new year.

Which means I am stuck for the time being with a system that I can't add to or update.

Because of this the latest version of CMSMS 1.11.11 will not install / update various other modules. Seems odd that new modules are approved and yet not compatible with the latest version of CMS.

Not Good.

Could you developers not add the required PHP to the dependences of the modules to help prevent systems crashing.

Not easy finding the specs.

Thanks.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Barrowboy wrote:Seems odd that new modules are approved and yet not compatible with the latest version of CMS.
Can you elaborate on that? Any examples?
Barrowboy wrote:Not Good.
Your host is running a version of PHP released in January 2012, nearly 3 years ago. That's not good either. ;)
Barrowboy wrote:Could you developers not add the required PHP to the dependences of the modules to help prevent systems crashing.
I agree with you there.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
Barrowboy
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Barrowboy »

Hi Paul

The latest version of CMS is 1.11.11. This version appears to install on any version of PHP and is obviously back compatible, and loads the relevant modules. If you try to update the new CGExtension 1.44.2 it requires PHP 5.4 and crashes the system if you try.

Other modules depend on CGExtension I.E. Frontend, Jquery and many more, so trying to add new features is impossible.

I feel all module updates should be compatible with CMS if the main software runs then so should the updated modules.

Analogy: If you bought a new car when the time come to fit new tyres you won't expect to have buy new wheels.

Regarding my hosting when purchasing the hosting a couple of months back I wasn't aware that it would require PHP 5.4 I am trying my best to persuade the hosting company to upgrade. But my best so far is the new year. My 5.3.9 is so close but so far away.

Pig sick.

Cheers
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

Barrowboy wrote:Other modules depend on CGExtension I.E. Frontend, Jquery and many more, so trying to add new features is impossible.
That is not correct, you just have to read the release notes, and the topics that have been posted about it here on the forum to know how to match the needed versions and keep all running on server environments with PHP 5.3.x. TBH you could still have CMSMS and the vast majority of modules running with PHP 5.2.x although I would not advise you to do it.
Barrowboy wrote:I feel all module updates should be compatible with CMS if the main software runs then so should the updated modules.
Those modules are compatible with CMSMS just not with EOL versions of PHP. The developers may choose to have minimum requirements for their modules when they exhaust the possibilities of a certain version of PHP for their modules, or when EOL versions of PHP may represent security risks for the modules and consequently for CMSMS if installed, or if they want to use newer and improved features not present in earlier versions. That's their prerogative.
Barrowboy wrote:Analogy: If you bought a new car when the time come to fit new tyres you won't expect to have buy new wheels.
Not unless you want to fit the latest top notch sport tyres for which the seller advises that the wheels have to be a specific type to match the tyres.

It can be a pain to read the release notes, the readme files and to search the forums (and/or in some cases the web) to keep oneself up to date, but that is required of a web developer for any cms, not only CMSMS.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
psy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by psy »

Analogy: If you bought a new car when the time come to fit new tyres you won't expect to have buy new wheels.
If you're unhappy with the modules freely available in the forge, then by all means, develop your own or pay a developer to write something specific to your requirements.
staartmees
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by staartmees »

The problem is not cmsms or the available modules, but your hostingprovider who won't update PHP.
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cb2004 »

Jo Morg wrote:It can be a pain to read the release notes, the readme files and to search the forums (and/or in some cases the web) to keep oneself up to date, but that is required of a web developer for any cms, not only CMSMS.
Disagree massively with this. CGExtensions is up to version 1.44.X. Let's say it has only had 44 releases. Should I be expected to read 44 release notes to see if a module will work with my setup. There should be something within cmsms to check for this. Or the forge. But the forge needs nuking anyway. To not even be able to search for a module in months is tragic. Newbies will be completely put off. And I think the small rise in downloads is proving this.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

cb2004 wrote:Disagree massively with this. CGExtensions is up to version 1.44.X. Let's say it has only had 44 releases. Should I be expected to read 44 release notes to see if a module will work with my setup.
No. I didn't say that... you are, however expected to read the release notes of at least the last release. You are expected to backup the site and if it breaks, be able to recover and know where to look for data that allows you to understand what happened and what options you have. You might have to back read a few notes of recent past releases too. And no matter how massively you disagree with me it comes with the territory: I may not have been developing for PHP for long yet, but I have been connected with software development for years. Even the most basic software typically has release notes, and they are there for a reason. If you choose not to read them you can't blame the developers for not having warned of possible glitches in some specific known situations. The warnings where there, you just chose to ignore them.
cb2004 wrote:There should be something within cmsms to check for this. Or the forge.
To some extent I agree with that, and it probably can be done, but needs changes in the forge, CMSMS and the modules need to support it too. It may be a feature that can slowly be introduced. However, it would never be more than an icon (or a set of icons) and would have to rely on the developers properly signing their modules. That could never mean that the CMSMS team had by any means tested and approved the info displayed on the lists where that info would be visible.
cb2004 wrote:But the forge needs nuking anyway. To not even be able to search for a module in months is tragic. Newbies will be completely put off. And I think the small rise in downloads is proving this.
It has been admitted for a long time that the forge needs replacement But the Dev Team has limited human resources, and this is not a small task. I'm sure this will be addressed as soon as humanly possible.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Code: Select all

you are, however expected to read the release notes of at least the last release. You are expected to backup the site and if it breaks, be able to recover and know where to look for data that allows you to understand what happened and what options you have. You might have to back read a few notes of recent past releases too. And no matter how massively you disagree with me it comes with the territory
Amen.

I made extra effort to pre announce in the forum that all subsequent releases would require PHP 5.4.

I made extra effort to mention in each module's changelog that PHP 5.4 was required. To announce it in the forge, and to announce it on twitter.

Also. It has always been possible to read the 'about' (which includes the changelog) information of each module (even the ones not installed) from within ModuleManager before upgrading, or installing it. Therefore the notice of this change IS and WAS available to everybody before they took the action to upgrade. Their lack of taking advantage of that, and/or having a backup is NOT ANYBODY's FAULT.

It is my responsibility to read all requirements and dependencies, and have suitable backups before I do an upgrade of any sort with any of the software or libraries I use. Also, it is yours before you do an install or an upgrade.

Is finding that information always easy? NO.
Could it be easier: In an ideal world yes.

[edit]Just because there is a one click install, or upgrade button... does not necessarily mean that for you the right thing to do is to click it.[/edit].

Thank you for your time.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cb2004 »

I read release notes all the time. And I keep my PHP installs up to date so I am lucky enough that this would never affect me. I suppose what I was getting at was a module like CGExtensions has a lot of work on it so has a lot of releases (which is awesome). When it is released in the forge it should have the required version in more release notes than just the one where the minimum was upped whilst a system is not in place in cmsms or the forge to display this. Not everybody reads the forums.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”