[SOLVED] Site move with DB Error (MySQL vs MySQLi)

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
fearmydesign
Power Poster
Power Poster

[SOLVED] Site move with DB Error (MySQL vs MySQLi)

Post by fearmydesign »

Hello everyone, I actually solved this problem (at least I think), but I wanted to get your expert opinion on it.

I moved a site from a VPS server located in the US, to a VPS located in Chile. I did everything the same way I have done in the past: backup Home Directory + Sql Database + Emails. Then uploaded them to the new VPS via cPanel (easy).

Anyways, at first I could not get the site to connect to the database, so I started troubleshooting by erasing everything, start the backup process from scratch twice and same issues! (Data base Fatal error could not connect).

At last I realized that on the config file on this line:

Code: Select all

$config['dbms'] = 'mysqli';
I had to remove the " i " from 'mysqli'

I know that this is an updated version of mysql and I am guessing the VPS in Chile does not have it, and the one here did. So my concern is whether removing this " i " on the config file could cause future problems with my site; giving that I moved it from a server that had this mysqli capability and the original installation was done there.

Hope this makes sense! Thanks
Last edited by fearmydesign on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Site move with DB Error (MySQL vs MySQLi)

Post by calguy1000 »

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1171 ... over-mysql

Note: That mysql support has been dropped from the official PHP release, and mysqli has been deprecated.

So, within the next few years CMSMS will have to support pdo, and likewise drop support for mysql and mysqli. However since hosting companies are notoriously slow to adapt things (I'm still occasionally getting emails from people wanting to use CMSMS on php4 hosts)... we have some time yet.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
fearmydesign
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Site move with DB Error (MySQL vs MySQLi)

Post by fearmydesign »

calguy1000 wrote:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1171 ... over-mysql

Note: That mysql support has been dropped from the official PHP release, and mysqli has been deprecated.

So, within the next few years CMSMS will have to support pdo, and likewise drop support for mysql and mysqli. However since hosting companies are notoriously slow to adapt things (I'm still occasionally getting emails from people wanting to use CMSMS on php4 hosts)... we have some time yet.
Thank you Calguy, this clears everything up.

Cheers

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”