Weird problem creating directories inside FT Modules/TinyMCE

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
fearmydesign
Power Poster
Power Poster

Weird problem creating directories inside FT Modules/TinyMCE

Post by fearmydesign »

Hello, I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, or if some modules have some type of security that will NOT let you modify files or create directories within modules/whatever_module ?

All I was doing was trying to create a directory inside public_html/modules/tinyMCE but I got the following error.

Code: Select all

ERROR: Could not create directory "old" in /home/admin/public_html/modules/TinyMCE: Permission denied
curious, I tried creating directories inside other modules but most were fine... is this normal? are there particular settings I need to look for within CMSMS?

Permission for all modules were set at 755, so I don't think this had anything to do with it, sense I was able to create within some others...!

Appreciate the help

PS. I tried doing this through Filezilla, also through cPanel, and I also tried changing the permission to 777, but same problem.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Weird problem creating directories inside FT Modules/Tin

Post by velden »

Permissions 755 also relates to the owner. TinyMCE module directory is probably copied there using FTP(?) so FTP-user is the owner (permission 7).

Modules which you install by the Module Manager are created by the Apache user, and that is the user which is user by CMSMS scripts. Apache-user is owner so has all permissions (permission 7).

That could be the reason. However, if you've changed those permissions to 777, all above makes no sense anymore I guess...
fearmydesign
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by fearmydesign »

velden wrote:Permissions 755 also relates to the owner. TinyMCE module directory is probably copied there using FTP(?) so FTP-user is the owner (permission 7).

Modules which you install by the Module Manager are created by the Apache user, and that is the user which is user by CMSMS scripts. Apache-user is owner so has all permissions (permission 7).

That could be the reason. However, if you've changed those permissions to 777, all above makes no sense anymore I guess...
You know what, I just realized that it works ONLY from within admin... I am using File Manager with access all the way back to the root and I am able to upload and create directories... weird.

I actually just realized that when I log into cPanel, and try to change permissions to 777 it will NOT accept it, and defaults back to 755

I did install the module using Module Manager within the CMSMS admin

Is it possible that something went wrong on the original installation?
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

Does cPanel gives you the option to 'Reset user' on a directory? After that you might me able to change permissions to 777.
fearmydesign
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by fearmydesign »

velden wrote:Does cPanel gives you the option to 'Reset user' on a directory? After that you might me able to change permissions to 777.
I'll try that, thank you!

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”