Website not updating automatically on all PCs

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
dorlow
Forum Members
Forum Members

Website not updating automatically on all PCs

Post by dorlow »

I'm having a weird problem. Our domain is http://www.lakeviewschools.net. When you go to the website, there's a slideshow. For the longest time (years), there wasn't a slideshow in that spot, but the 4 buildings in a 2x2 tile. I changed it to a slideshow a few months back. Right when I switched it, I just took those same 4 buildings that were in a 2x2 spot there and had the 4 buildings rotating in the slideshow until I could find some pictures.

When I had it as 4 buildings, the resolution was really low, so I made the slideshow picture about half the size on the website. With the new pictures, they were really high resolution. I scaled them down to be acceptable size for a website but still was able to be larger on the website.

We have lakeviewschools.net as the homepage for most PCs at the school. For some reason, most of the PCs are showing the larger area that the new pictures are scaled to, but still showing the same 4 old pictures in the upper left corner of the box.

I can fix it one PC at a time by clicking the compatibility button on and off and it seems to force the browser to go out to the Internet and realize the website has changed.

Why is this happening? I don't know if what a browser does is just look at the headers and checks some kind of check bit or something to see if the website appears to have changed, and if it hasn't, to just load from local cache. Is there coding I need to put in the website to tell the browsers to always look for changes and not load the website from cache?
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Website not updating automatically on all PCs

Post by paulbaker »

I don't think it's CMSMS causing this.

Anyway, I would: Make a trivial change to your home page (small change to some text somewhere). It's possible your changes to the gallery did not change the modified date of the home page, so the browser didn't notice the change (a bit like when you just update an image without updating any HTML).

Second, if the browsers are IE (most likely) then there is a setting to check for a newer version of the web page which might be set to "never"; change to always.
TheLastLegion
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Website not updating automatically on all PCs

Post by TheLastLegion »

This most likely has to do with Internet Explorer browser just reading the code wrong..
So have a look at the code and see if you can make the slideshow script more IE friendly if not..
If it works in IE compatibility mode you can force all IE visitors to be in compatibility mode or certain version of IE that renders your page.

To do that add this code into head portion of your website, you can add this through Global Settings or manually edit template

So under <head> add

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
If that doesn't work try the EmulateIE7 attribute below
Possible values for the content attribute are:

Code: Select all

content="IE=5"

content="IE=7"

content="IE=EmulateIE7"

content="IE=8"

content="IE=EmulateIE8"

content="IE=9"