Can't list News if the postdate is in the future (CMSMS 2)

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Can't list News if the postdate is in the future (CMSMS 2)

Post by urheat »

Sometimes I've used news as events. So the postdate is the date of the event. With CMSMS 1.xx I could list news, even the postdate was in the future. But I can't with CMSMS 2.0? Is there away or am I missing something?
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Can't list News if the postdate is in the future (CMSMS

Post by paulbaker »

urheat wrote:Is there away or am I missing something?
Not sure to be honest, but if you're listing future and past events it sounds like CGCalendar would be ideal. It gives you options to list upcoming events and has all the usual templating options. And it's V2 compatible.

If you still want to use News, I suggest you post the tag that worked in V1 and others may spot why it won't work in V2 and suggest an alternative?
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Thanks Paul!

With CMSMS version 1 the news which postdate are in the future are also visible. No extra tags needed. With 2 they are not.

CGCalendar is one option, but I try to manage with the core modules. So hopefully this could be solved somehow :)
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Any tips or solutions how the news module could be used in the same way as in CMSMS 1.0?
Jeff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Jeff »

They probably fixed a bug or there is a setting in the preferences.
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Jeff wrote:They probably fixed a bug or there is a setting in the preferences.
Just tested with the latets versions (CMSMS 2.1.1, News 2.50.3) and at least I didn't find any settings to solve the problem.
Jeff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Jeff »

Then the fact that it worked before was a bug(I would call it one) and it is now fixed.

You need to use a module better suited to your needs.
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Well, it's not a bug and yes it has worked that way for years. And because it has, there are site builders that have used the news as events also. And why not? No extra module installations, same logic adding news and events (easy for editors) and in software development it's pretty usual that when updating versions, you don't change the base logic.

And if you really like to continue this conversation, please give me a one good reason, why news can't be used as events.
Jeff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Jeff »

As I understand it (I am not the module dev), the post date is the date the news articles is to be posted(published) this makes it so that content editors can add articles to the site and have them automatic post to the site at a date in the future. This is my understanding and how I have set it up in the past for clients.

None of the module devs(the core team) has spoken up til this point so you have the following options:
1. Wait for a response to bug report (you provided minimal information so I don't know if you will get one).
2. Use the CMSms 1.12.x series and don't updgrade.
3. Use a different module.

P.S. I compare the code for 1.12 and 2.1.1 and I see it was added in all spots for date selection to check against the Postdate (it seems purposeful and planned).
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Are you saying you can't show a list of them, news article with future dates, in the front end or that they aren't showing in the backend..?

Future date News articles are not supposed to be available nor visible in front end...

Return to “The Lounge”