hosting requirements

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
xavB

hosting requirements

Post by xavB »

Hi,
I don't have any experience with running a website involving a database, ecommerce and a cms, but I would like to get started. I'm trying to find information on hosting such a website such as a travel agency or property rental website.
Any idea how much webspace, database space, data transfer use one would need as well as how many databases, ftp accounts, security certifications?

cheers,
Xav
Dr.CSS

Re: hosting requirements

Post by Dr.CSS »

There are too many variables to say you need X, but this may give some idea of what it requires, any of our hosting partners should be fine...

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/documentation/faq/
xavB

Post by xavB »

hi thanks for your suggestion, but tbh it doesn't really give me any idea. Sorry, I should've formulated my question better.

Would any members here be able to give me an idea based on their own experience. for eg. type of commercial site in relation to number of users and amount of webspace, databases etc that has worked for you?
cheers
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

To run 1 CMSMS website you only need 1 database. 1 FTP account is handy but not actually required. Security certificate - not required.

Web space requirement is impossible to generalise. I have a CMSMS website running since 2009 with loads of content (images, PDFs etc) which uses 625 MB including database.

And another live CMSMS installation using just 31 MB including database.

HTH
jolarti

Post by jolarti »

In case you're really in the dark: you can always ask your provider what kind of PHP version they are running.
My own web host actually offers a bit of support on CMS questions (such as permissions, etc.).

Return to “General Discussion”