New module writing tutorial

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

New module writing tutorial

Post by calguy1000 »

With CMSMS 2.0 now in full swing and being used across a multitude of sites, the Dev Team wanted to spend some time helping you with module creation. To that end, Robert Campbell (Calguy1000) has created a comprehensive PDF that will take you through the process of creating a module for 2.0.

Guiding you through each step of the build, the PDF creates a simple ‘Holidays’ module as an ongoing example. You’ll see how to create the module, setup installation and language, add in admin functions, add, edit and delete records and run the module on the front end. Search engine friendly URLs, asynchronous loading, and working with other modules are also fully discussed. Plus, there are many other sections just waiting for you to dive into them.

This is a great document for both new and experienced module developers. Whether you are starting your first journey into module development or simply want to compare your methodology with the Dev Team’s, you’ll find this PDF invaluable.

Of course, this document assumes a level of ability for you to get the most from it. You’ll have a firm understanding of PHP and object orientated programming, including exceptions and PHP’s magic methods. You will also need understanding of relational databases—particularly MySQL. A basic understanding of JavaScript and jQuery will be useful. And, of course, you will need to know how to work with CMSMS, including creating and managing pages and templates.

We’re sure you will find this document invaluable. We’re looking forward to seeing the great modules that you come up with. You can download the PDF from here right now and start your adventure!

The Dev Team.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: New module writing tutorial

Post by calguy1000 »

I just thought I'd post a shout out and a very grateful thank you to the members of the dev team that assisted with the module writing tutorial.

This effort is another great example of how people from great distances can contribute constructively and generate great output.

Specific thanks go to:

Matt Hornsby (Canada)
Rolf (Netherlands)
Reneh (Norway)
John Scotcher (UK)
Greg Prosser (Canada)
Fernando Morgado (Portugal)

But thanks go out to the dev team in general. If I've forgotten anybody, please let me know.

Depending on how this document is received I have thoughts about further module writing tutorials.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “Announcements”